Author Topic: GI Joe Convention  (Read 13650 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Convention
« Reply #15 on: May 1, 2010, 01:08 PM »
Details and and photos from the Hasbro panel are now up.

TRU exclusive Spirit and Quick Kick.  Low-Light is excellent, articulated so he can shoot prone.  Ton of accessories, all break down and fit in one of his two backpacks.

GI Joe: Renegads is the new cartoon.  Some details posted but no photos allowed of the teaser art or recording of the Q&A.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 1, 2010, 03:23 PM »
thanks E your rock!

Hasbro is really hitting a homerun with these!  I can see one of each in my future...

And I thought I would be scaling back to just SW and MU!   :D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: May 2, 2010, 02:23 AM »
Indeed man, great coverage.  Lots of good stuff.  :)  And Spirit that isn't a stereotype?  Very nice.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 2, 2010, 11:03 AM »
That Low Light looks freaking awesome, as does the new Snake Eyes.  How can they keep making him cooler every time?
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 2, 2010, 01:53 PM »
I posted photos of the new figs from the display case.  Believe me, the Snake Eyes, Low-Light and Destro are insanely awesome.

The Spirit figure is probably one of my new favorites along with Low-Light.  Just from a geek perspective, I think Sprit makes a good counterpoint to the Shadow Tracker coming out.  They have similar accessories and are both just cool.  I'm not sure if the Shadow Tracker has been in the new IDW comic yet but as awesome as the silent Marvel issue was, with Snake Eyes, I think IDW could duplicate that with a Spirit vs ST book.

Low-Light is also a favorite.  I was talking to the guy that sculpted him (forgetting his name) and he was originally trying to sculpt the rifle so that you could actually have Low-Ligh looking as if he were inserting the bullet into the breach of the gun.  But he couldn't get it done on that scale.  And speaking of bullets, if you check the second shot of LL's accessories, he comes with one loose bullet along with a box of them, radio, spotter scope and GPS, UZI and two backpacks.  The rifle breaks down and fits in the rifle case and I believe the other accessories all fit in the second backpack, at least that's how the panel made it sound.  Plus, as I mentioned, prone shooting position is possible.

Snake Eyes has tow heads, commando and visor, two rifles, silenced pistol, knife, sword and the classic explosive satchel.  Dude is loaded.

The Cobra Shock Trooper is the Pit Commando for the Cobra team.  He has a ****-ton of accessories, ballistic shield, breaching equipment (sledge hammer) and a few weapons, gas mask and a helmet.

Quick Kick as the classic Kung Fu Grip logo on his gi and he has body scars which were showing some love to Bruce Lee.  his boxing gloves are sort of MMA gloves, and removable.  The vest comes off so you can see his scarred torso.

The Skydive figure is a new character and takes one of the ROC Ripcord bodies that was cancelled and has a new head.

Destro is huge.  He has this huge shoulder armor and badass armor and he has a steady gun, actually two of them.  One is a gatling gun and the other looks like the gun from Aliens.  Plus he comes with a briefcase of money.  I think the panel said that in scale it's about $3 mil or something.

Oh, and if Quick Kick is in honor of Bruce Lee then Spirit is in honor of Billy from Predator.  It's almost like the Hasbro team is looking for a license for the Aliens and Predator franchise...believe me, I'd own it all if they ever were able to do Colonial Marines or the Predator commando team.

I have  lot of photos of the custom dios and figures but I won't be able to upload them till I get home.  I also have some video of the dios and all the info from the Hasbro tour.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 2, 2010, 04:57 PM »
awesome coverage thanks again E!  Destro and his cash is so freaking awesome!

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 2, 2010, 10:13 PM »
I'm getting a post together with some details on the Hasbro tour, as well as the photos.  Unfortunately they didn't let us take pictures in the Model Shop or in the unreleased toy presentation.  I forget the names of a couple of the new characters that didn't get released but they had a moc up of the VTOL plane from the ROC film that was insanely cool.  Shootting missiles, a retractable zip line, opening panels and rotating engines.  It's a shame that didn't come out as a counter to the Night Raven.

The model shop showed off some heads and accessories that were created with the new rapid prototype printers.  They had some Iron Man helmets that were awesome looking, tons of detail.  They showed us an old-school wood pattern for a train engine and some unproduced designs from ROC including that VTOL plane and a huge offroad vehicle for the 12" line.  Was the name of that plane the Tornado maybe?  I'm forgetting and I didn't get a chance to write anything down, we only had about 10 minutes at each stop on the tour.

The Hasbro toy store was fun.  They had a lot of 25th figures but nothing rare...they were only $1 and change each, though.  Comic packs for $3.99, 12" ARAH $5.98 and the SDCC 12" Baroness for $19.99.  I bought one of each of those.  I didn't buy any single carded figs. They also had a deal on the plastic figure cases...I saw a LOT of guys buying those but I forget the price.  I don't know if they had a lot more, but after my group went through we had cleaned them out of a lot of Baroness figs and cases.

They had a lot of Nerf for good prices also and I saw several people carrying around the new battle ax and older swords.  The only SW product I saw were RC Republic Gunships for $19.99.  Lots of board games as well. 

I did finally see some guys walking around on Saturday that had on black shirts with the Red Shadows skull and crossbones logo and I think that was the con shirt, but I never did get a photo. Hopefully one will show up, maybe on the Con home page.  I didn't ask if the store sold out of the exclusive souvenirs but I wouldn't be surprisded if they did.  The store did huge business all day from what I saw.  I goofed on one point, I didn't visit their "let's make a deal" sale.  I did see guys going through huge bins of parts that appeared to be from previous 12" con sets and exclusives.  I'm not sure what I'd have bought from that but there might have been something cool.  The Club had the 3.75" Adventure Team figs on display, they look great.  Unfortunately the final product is sitting in a shipping container in China waiting to get on a ship...estimate is June or July now for them to get to us.  I forgot to ask about the 12" accessory set for the club figure this year...seems like I saw one in the store but I'd have to check the order form on that. 

I ended up with a few items from the floor including two parts to finish off a Snow Cat...only $3 for a windshield wiper and top missile launcher.  There were several guys with huge bins of parts that I looked through but I didn't find the other pieces I needed for my WHALE or Rolling Thunder.  I picked up a vintage Green Beret uniform in good shape, snagged a hat and shoulder holster from Cotswold to go with them and a 12" Walmart AT Joe complete (except for his shoulder holster and pistol) for $5.  I picked up an assortment of guns from Maurader John...the M4 is excellent!  I also got some AK-74s, a set of pistols, another rifle that I'm forgetting the name of, a Stormtrooper blaster (Sterling) to check out, Aliens pulse rifle and an MP-5....I think that's it..NO!  And a combat shotgun!  I'm going to outfit a couple of my 25th guys that I didn't like their weapons.  And all that was only $11 which is insane.  Now that I've seen them I'll probably order from him again. 

What I didn't find on the floor was one loose figure (didn't see it carded either for that matter) I was after,  an Agent Courtney Krieger from the comic pack.  I really didn't look at much vintage 3.75" stuff but after my day was pretty much over I thought of a couple more things that I could have tried to find cheap...nothing HTF, just a few army builders.  I skipped the floor quite a bit on Saturday for panels and to pack out of my room.  I probably could have skipped the Club roundtable and spent another hour on the floor but I'd spent enough cash...which I'm dreading totalling up.

One thing I thought was interesting/funny/kind of scary; I walked buy a booth which had 4 or 5 huge cases on their table of loose vintage figures in small clear plastic coffins.  They appeard to be complete and of various prices.  There was a box sitting off to the side and a guy just standing there pointing "I need one of those, one of these, that guy, this one over here, him, um, this guy, that one over here...and in the next case..." and he went on and on and the owner of the store just was pulling them out and putting them in the box.  The buyer wasn't inspecting or looking at prices or anything.  I don't know if he'd already checked around and this was his deal or what.  But it was interesting to watch...never seen something like that before, not even at a SW con.

Oh, one thing I did think of but missed out on was a Cotswold figure.  They had several flocked heads in various colors and styles and some bodies to assemble them on.  I finally stopped late on Saturday to pick out the flocked head I wanted; an African-American head with gray hair and a goatee which looked excellent...but they were sold out of AA bodies.  I may order one eventually but the price was cheap and there was no shipping.  Plus with Cots there's a minimum order amount so I'll have to work up to it at some point.

If I can think of anything else I'll post it.  If you guys have any questions, LMK and I'll try to answer them for you.

E...

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 3, 2010, 12:14 AM »
Thanks for the coverage.  

Saw a picture of the AT shirt and front of the Shadows shirt over at the Joecon site.  The one with crossbones on the front and the Joecon10 logo was it apparently.  

What was the Alan Hassenfeld presentation all about?  I haven't heard anyone mention anything about that.  

I sure hodp they have next year's con in the Midwest.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2010, 12:18 AM by spiderpumpkin »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: May 3, 2010, 01:49 AM »
E,

That gun with Destro is indeed the steady-MG from Aliens, as I have the 1:18 scale Hot Toys figures, and that looks almost 100% identical to that badass piece of hardware.  That tracker guy, with the dreds and mask, actually looks like a human predator.  Freaky.

I can't find a good pic of the Hot Toys 1:18 Aliens figures to post to show the gun, but it's almost 100% identical, if not the exact gun.  I cannot see how they could whip that up and put it in with a figure though.  That just strikes me very odd.  It's very distinctive and I'd think if they didn't have some kind of license they could face a dispute.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 3, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Finally, Low-Light!  He was always one of my favorites growing up and he's been at the top of my wish list for the 25th style.

I didn't buy any of the movie characters like Duke, Ripcord, Scarlett, etc., but did pick up some of the "off-screen" characters like Bench Press, Night Adder, Ice Viper, Pit Commando, etc. that fit in pretty well with the 25th line.  Looks like I'll be continuing that with the Shock Trooper, Sky Dive and Shadow Tracker.

Even before reading the replies in this thread, I thought the new Spirit looked like Billy from Predator.  That's awesome and I'll be picking him up for that reason alone.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 3, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Thanks for all the great coverage/pics E....some of that stuff does look pretty nifty.  I'd like to pick up Low Light as well, and some of those other figures (Snake Eyes, Spirit, Quick Kick, Destro) look pretty nifty too.  I'm pretty much always up for another Snake Eyes, and like it was mentioned, they always seem to manage to make him pretty cool every time they release another one.  I've pretty much decided I should stop with the Joe stuff unless the 25th line resumes, but a lot of this stuff is starting to "fit in" with that, so it gets tougher to draw that line.  Kind of psyched that we'll have a new Joe cartoon on for the first time in awhile (aside from the Resolute shorts).  It sounds like it has potential to be kind of cool, unlike that Sigma Six nonsense from a few years ago ;).

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 3, 2010, 02:32 PM »
It's funny that the Shadow Tracker mask looking like a Predator mask is mentioned, a guy I was talking to at the con mentioned the same thing, and I agree.  I was also talking to another person that thought the mask looked updated from that shown at SDCC.  I'm not sure on that.  I have some higher res photos that I'll be posting later and I'll see if I can find a good shot from last year to compare it to.

One thing to mention, I know some of us were wondering about this before, but it looked to me like the Snow Job figure will have all the accessories he was advertised with.  I think that question came up after Toy Fair when some photos of him didn't have all that extra stuff shown.  He was being shown in the display case with them and the carded figure also had them.

As for the Hassenfeld presentation, he talked a lot about the early days of the company and how the original line came about.  Alan lead overseas production back in the 60's.  He had some stories about how, at one point, Hasbro actually sold the license for GI Joe to Palitoy while they recovered from some financial difficulties and then later bought it back.  He also told how he had to spend a night in jail because he bought fabric on the black market in order to make a production deadline.

I didn't take notes, which I probably should have. It was definitely a fun talk, though.

E...

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 3, 2010, 02:42 PM »
completely agree on the Shadow Tracker looking like a black dude with a Predator mask on - even his dreads look like Predators "dreads".

In regards to Snow Job and his accessories I hope you are right - but this whole Zartan and Destro being shown on the old cards and Zartan shown off now, this time around, again with his old ROC head, accessories, and paint apps, which was different than what was shown at the TF slide show presentation (different head/paint apps) - that all still baffles me.

???

again, not going to lose sleep over it - just confused.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 3, 2010, 02:50 PM »
We didn't see a carded POC Zartan anywhere but there were two Snow Job figures we saw, one was in the case and one was at Hasbro in near the original artwork display and both had all the accessories.  So I'm pretty confident that Snow Job will be complete.  Not sure on Zartan.

I don't think we saw a carded Destro either, not with the new packaging anyway.  Just what was in the case at the show.

E...

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 3, 2010, 04:28 PM »
I have seen some shots of both of them still carded on the old cards over at Hisstank in this thread

edit:  and yeah, I went back and saw the carded pics of Snowjob - so that is very good!
« Last Edit: May 3, 2010, 04:58 PM by shmashwitdaclub »