Author Topic: Jedidefender Fantasy Baseball 2010  (Read 27774 times)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Re: Jedidefender Fantasy Baseball 2010
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2010, 09:48 AM »
Must be nice... just when I thought my team might come around a little, I'm without Utley, Morneau, and Pena.   :-\

I feel your pain.  I have no Pedroia, Ordonez or Howard, however I'm quite pleased that I've moved into a solid second with only 8 weeks to go...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2010, 02:21 AM »
Here's another fun one... I have 6 starting pitchers.

They are ALL starting tomorrow.

I only have 5 slots I can use.  I've never run into that one before...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2010, 10:54 PM »
Holy Crap...big night for the old squad tonight, at this writing 6 Dongs and 19 RBI, too bad my pitching fell on its face

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #123 on: October 3, 2010, 07:22 PM »
According to Stattracker, Brent nutted out a championship in the last half hour of the afternoon...of course, nothing is official until tomorrow...this smacks of Ichiro hitting a homerun in the bottom of the 9th inning ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #124 on: October 4, 2010, 08:29 AM »
It does indeed look like Brent pulled it out, far as I could tell there was a late shift in BA that propelled Bug to the championship, Congrats!

Take away May and I think I could have been right there as well, injuries really took their toll for me early on...oh well

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 4, 2010, 10:01 AM »
Whew!

I can finally comment on my team.  First, I'm absolutely amazed that I managed to hang on with the way my team played over the last part of the year.  Over the last two weeks they just died on the R/HR/RBI front and all I could do was watch Dressel climb.  I had really solid positioning in runs and RBIs and still couldn't hang on to those points. 

All that said that was perhaps the strangest roster I've ever owned and while I'm a fan of how my OF ended up, the rest of it was pretty damn iffy.  Longoria gassed it over the last month, Reyes never really hit IR but was out for weeks on end several times; Zobrist was a huge bust and my 1B was more solid than I'd expected.  Still wish I'd picked up Bautista during that week Scott let go of him, I'd have had a lot more breathing room.  Didn't need Nelson Cruz's three stints on the DL though. 

I so mismanaged the games played aspect on the hitting side.  I had so many games left to play beyond just the catcher position that I simply threw away stats.  The counter to that was that I mostly managed my pitching about as well as I could.  I saved enough innings to exploit Yahoo's counting every inning on the final day so actually got in about 22 extra innings and finally lucked into three Ws to give me a point on that one.  I never should have needed to do that if the ******* Atlanta Braves would have given any run support to Tommy Hanson.  He started 30 times, had an ERA under 3.50 and ended up with only 10 wins.  That's BS support from Atlanta right there.  Didn't need to lose both Santana and Johnson at the start of September either.  And let's talk about Broxton ******** the bed?  Wow. 

I know everyone has their share of injuries so my comments are only in general relating to my team but that will probably go down as the scrappiest team I'll ever win with.  Somehow two people managed to drop their batting average at the last possible moment giving me that half point win.  With a tie I think the HR category is the tie break, so Dressel would have had it.  Art imitates life, spidey takes out Norman Osborne on the last day.   ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 4, 2010, 10:12 AM »
Congrats Brent!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 4, 2010, 10:21 AM »
I saved enough innings to exploit Yahoo's counting every inning on the final day so actually got in about 22 extra innings and finally lucked into three Ws to give me a point on that one. 

Congrats Brent.

I did not even know this rule.  Yesterday AM I didn't think there was any possible way for you to win.  Then I saw that you started all those starting pitchers with only 4 IPs remaining, yet got to use 20 additional innings.  That gave you the point you needed to win.  Crazy stuff.  1,300 innings limit my ass.

With a tie I think the HR category is the tie break, so Dressel would have had it.  Art imitates life, spidey takes out Norman Osborne on the last day.   ;)

Actually there is no tie breaker in rotisserie baseball at Y!  2 people can be named co-champion.  Going into yesterday I thought that was my worst case scenario.

This stupid game has been making me crazy lately.  I've been spending way too much time analyzing this stuff.  So, I'm taking a long break from fantasy sports until further notice.  I'm going to drop out of basketball and won't be playing unless you guys really really need the extra team.  I'll pay minimal attention to the NFL situation.  Other than that, I need a break from this stuff for a while.  I don't think I'll be playing baseball next year.

Congrats again.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 4, 2010, 11:07 AM »

Congrats Brent.

I did not even know this rule.  Yesterday AM I didn't think there was any possible way for you to win.  Then I saw that you started all those starting pitchers with only 4 IPs remaining, yet got to use 20 additional innings.  That gave you the point you needed to win.  Crazy stuff.  1,300 innings limit my ass.

Oh.  I thought everyone knew of that rule in one form or another.  I'll explain because it pertains to many sports in different ways (obviously fantasy football the way we play it does not), at least in rotisserie leagues.  I honestly thought everyone was aware of that but I'll make sure people do now.

Basically yahoo systems have a glitch and they admit as much if you read through the tedious rules.  In the example of this baseball league I used it to exceed the innings cap.  That's probably the most extreme example and I needed those three wins to do it so without the exception to the rule, you would have won.  Another way to look at it and this applies to most leagues is when you have multiple players at a position:
baseball - outfielders
hockey - defensemen
basketball - flex/utility

In each of these cases all you have to have left for the last day of the season is a single game at the position and then all of the games played at that position will count.  In baseball you only need a single OF game left for the last day to have all of your OF stats count; in hockey you only need a single game at defense (or center, lw, rw) to have all stats at that position count; basketball a single game at utility to have both count the way our league is set up.  Baseball and pitching is by far the most extreme example as you only need 0.1 innings remaining for the last day to have ALL of the stats for ALL of the innings count.  Theoretically with three P and two SP plus two RP slots you could end up gaining 45+ innings of stats if all five starters pitched nine innings. 

I feel bad about winning that way now because I though people were aware of it :-\

I'd really rather have you stay and continue to play, especially in baseball and basketball.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.