Author Topic: 25th Anniversary Line  (Read 197982 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1770 on: December 20, 2008, 10:27 PM »
Anywho - what all is the Claw missing besides the extra 2 missles and/or what is wrong with the mold?  Heard quite a few complaints about this thing, but I think it's pretty snazzy - never owned one as a kid.

It's actually a smaller, newer mold, lacking the fold-down landing gear legs and the articulating mini-wings.  It's strange that they bothered to resculpt the thing, but perhaps it was to reduce the weight and size.  I finally found an Airborne today- he was my favorite of vintage wave 2, and perhaps of all, so I was excited to get this great resculpt.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1771 on: December 22, 2008, 12:28 AM »
My Target, which has been out of carded and comic packs for about a week, had the new comic packs on the shelf tonight when I stopped in.  I picked up the Snake Eyes/Hard Master set which is pretty cool.  Has a bunch of accessories which made it well worth the $10.

I like the Beachhead/Main Frame set as well.  I would have bought it but it should be on its way from HTS soon enough.  Except for the Wild Bill figure everything looked well done in this new wave. Pretty impressive.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1772 on: December 22, 2008, 09:20 AM »
Found a ton of SRO wave 2 sets at my local TRU. I picked up the Cutter set, though the set with StarSkyduster was pretty tempting, if only for that figure. The Wild Bill in that set made me pass, since I hate the Wild Bill mold.

I saw a ton of these at our TRU last weekend as well.  I was tempted to grab the Cutter set as well, although I didn't yet.  After Blowtorch arrives via HTS this week, I think Cutter is the last of the Joes that I had as a kid to get updated in this line - so that makes me want to pick it up.  I could probably care less about the other two, although they didn't look too bad.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1773 on: December 22, 2008, 12:22 PM »
I bought an Outpost Defender vintage playset on ebay over the weekend, looks like I'm getting sucked into some diorama making now.   :-\

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1774 on: December 29, 2008, 12:00 AM »
Just scored the only DVD Battles packs that matter at my local WM tonight, for $15 each. Not bad, considering I never saw any of them at retail until tonight. I've only opened the one that includes Alpine so far, and it's great. Getting another CLAW is a nice thing, plus the CC with the chrome faceplate (!) is neat. Unfortunately, the legs are loose, so that chrome head is going on another CC I have laying around. Duke and the Paratrooper are OK, but it's Alpine who sells the set. I never had the original Alpine, and always wanted one. This modern version is great for me.

Now I have to backtrack and get the first two sets so I can finish the MASS Device.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1775 on: December 29, 2008, 01:38 PM »
The completed MASS device definitely rocks, that's one of the things that really sold me on this line.

Also, I went by a Target in my area that had 34 of the UBP's for $54.99... yeah, I counted 34 of those suckers... yeesh! 

If Hasbro had replaced the red Hiss with the Cobra Stinger, I think this set would have been far more popular.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1776 on: December 29, 2008, 03:38 PM »
I hate to ask again - but anyone have the Doc phone # ?  I found time today and tried the 800-327-8264 I had written down, but it's just dead air.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1777 on: December 29, 2008, 07:30 PM »
If Hasbro had replaced the red Hiss with the Cobra Stinger, I think this set would have been far more popular.

Word.  I think the red HISS looks cool, but we've had three versions in the last year.  A Stinger would have been a nice draw.

I dug out my 2001 MOBAT over the weekend, and also think that if the UBP had a similar camo paint scheme, it would have been a more attractive set (although not as nice as a re-release of the Mauler would have been...).
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1778 on: December 29, 2008, 09:38 PM »
Agreed on the Mauler.  I was looking at this set the other day, and the MOBAT hasn't held up well.  It looks "dated" even by armor standards.  The Mauler looked as "special" as what it was based on.  Too bad that's not been rolled out of storage.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1779 on: December 29, 2008, 10:20 PM »
They tried to roll the Mauler out of Storage, but some of the Molds were either lost or broken.  They found this nugget out when the Collector's CLub ordered some as Con Exclusives and got boxes/bags of incomplete sets.... Alyosha knows more of the story..if he is not too busy making Dusty Harnesses for Ryan maybe he'll chime in...

And I disagree about the Mobat..yes it is Dated, was dated by 1982 when it was first made, but the unmanned turret of the Mauler always annoyed me. Tanks have a commander's hatch...self propelled artillery does not (in my world).

If the UGP goes more clearance I'll be snagging another one, just for the Blue Flight Pod and Short fuze.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1780 on: December 30, 2008, 12:12 AM »
Ah, bummer...  The Mauler was a favorite of mine.  So was the Snowcat...  God I loved some of the armor that line had back in the day.  I have fond memories of those two though.  The Mauler would run through water and stuff even.  That was a well made toy...  Be cool to see them try to make a true RC tank now though for Joes...  That was always what the line lacked back in the day.  That RC buggy didn't cut the mustard at all.  Nowadays RC stuff is pretty cheap too, so I could see some kickass RC tanks and stuff made for the modern line.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1781 on: December 30, 2008, 12:45 PM »

Word.  I think the red HISS looks cool, but we've had three versions in the last year.  A Stinger would have been a nice draw.

I dug out my 2001 MOBAT over the weekend, and also think that if the UBP had a similar camo paint scheme, it would have been a more attractive set (although not as nice as a re-release of the Mauler would have been...).

Yeah, I agree with you on the Mobat... I really like that 2001 paint job, and wish that I had that version.  And the Mauler (or Slugger even) would have been more appealing to me.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1782 on: December 30, 2008, 02:59 PM »

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1783 on: December 30, 2008, 07:12 PM »
Wow.  Easy passes.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #1784 on: December 30, 2008, 07:39 PM »
I'll get them for Shockwave and Tunnel Rat, but I'll be sorely tempted to throw away the other two figures. The Destro is terrible. Storm Shadow almost looks like Shredder, so I might keep him around for the hell of it.