Author Topic: 25th Anniversary Line  (Read 196804 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2007, 02:38 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a battlepack of just the original core Dreadnocks.  I think the only one that has a chance of being made is Zartan if they're only going up to 25 figures.  I remember Road Pig, Slasher, Zarrana - and her brother, and I think there was some other dude - Crystal Ball?

I don't think Crystal Ball was a 'Nok.

I'd really like to complete that set even though Sony is re-releasing them this summer - different packaging to be sure and I'm a stickler about those sorts of things.

Where have you heard this? I'd love to get these, especially 'since Rhino's versions are so expensive on the secondary market. Are they rereleasing GI Joe: The Movie on DVD too?

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2007, 03:26 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a battlepack of just the original core Dreadnocks.  I think the only one that has a chance of being made is Zartan if they're only going up to 25 figures.  I remember Road Pig, Slasher, Zarrana - and her brother, and I think there was some other dude - Crystal Ball?

Zartan and the Dreadnoks were made up of the following in the RAH line back in the 1980's:

-Zartan (Deluxe Boxed Figure with Chameleon Swamp Bike)
-Buzzer (Blonde Guy with Ponytail and Chainsaw)
-Ripper (Black Mohawk guy with Jaws of Life)
-Torch (Brown Hair with Red Bandana and Flamethrower)
-Monkeywrench (brown hair with silver glasses and pitchfork gun)
-Zandar (Zartan's brother)
-Zarana (Zartan's sister)
-Zanzibar (Deluxe Boxed Figure with some Swamp Skimmer thing; he had a topknot)
-Thunder (included with Dreadnok Vehicle-I can't recall the name)
-Road Pig (big beefy guy with concrete block on a stick and shoulder pads)

These figures look really nice to me, and I'm extremely tempted.  I guess I'll wait and see just how much stuff is going to be out from the SW line this summer before I cave.  I'll at least get the Cobra Commander, just because I still have all my vintage ones and I even caved and bought the most recent Sigma 6 version.

As for my guesses for the final 15, based on character selection so far:

11.  Flint
12.  Lady Jaye
13.  General Hawk
14.  Zartan
15.  Firefly
16.  Serpentor
17.  Beach Head
18.  Stalker
19.  Crimson Guard
20.  Blowtorch
21.  Cobra Viper
22.  Grunt
23.  Major Bludd
24.  Rip Cord
25.  The Fridge

(Okay, I couldn't think of a 25th figure...) :)

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2007, 03:30 PM »

First off bite your tongue for even thinking Crystal Ball was a dreadnok!! No, no.....no, no,...no, no, no!! ;D There's also never been a Dreadnok named Slasher, probably thinking of Thrasher!

Zartan ('84)

Dreadnoks ('85)
Torch
Buzzer
Ripper

Zandar ('86)
Zarana

Dreadnoks ('86)
Monkeywrench
Thasher with Thunder Machine

Dreadnoks ('87)
Zanzibar with flying skiff

Dreadnoks ('88)
Roadpig

Dreadnoks ('89)
Gnagahyde

Thankful now for my senior's discount.  I have zero interest in these because the dinky little things aren't real GI Joe's anyway.  Where's the lifelike hair?  Where's the string you pull to get them to talk?  Where's the Kung Fu grip?  Bah.

Pfft, past your time old man! As was Star Wars! How did your old self even get into our line! Weren't you like in your 30's when Star Wars premiered??? :P Anyhow sorry that we got the better end of the Joe stick! We had file cards, different charcters and a villain! Who did you guys ever fight???   ;)
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2007, 03:50 PM »

Where have you heard this? I'd love to get these, especially 'since Rhino's versions are so expensive on the secondary market. Are they rereleasing GI Joe: The Movie on DVD too?

Various Transformer websites - Tformers.com and TFans.com message boards.  They're  supposed to be released to coincide with the release of the movie if not before then.  I don't have a direct source to link to at the moment as the "rumor" was ongoing a few months back.  I'll post in the Transformer thread when something new pops up.  I didn't hear anything about the Joe movie being released though.

First off bite your tongue for even thinking Crystal Ball was a dreadnok!! No, no.....no, no,...no, no, no!! ;D There's also never been a Dreadnok named Slasher, probably thinking of Thrasher!

Zartan ('84)

Dreadnoks ('85)
Torch
Buzzer
Ripper

Zandar ('86)
Zarana

Dreadnoks ('86)
Monkeywrench
Thasher with Thunder Machine

Dreadnoks ('87)
Zanzibar with flying skiff

Dreadnoks ('88)
Roadpig

Dreadnoks ('89)
Gnagahyde

Thanks for the history lesson.  It's been over ten years since I even thought about vintage Joes, so gimmee a break Lady  ;) 

Zanzabar.  Wow. I remember he had a really lame vehicle and he also had a "real" pony tail.  Thrasher/Slasher...I almost had it right.  I really dug his ghettoish style vehicle and his character was quite off if I remember correctly.  I think I dropped off in 88 because I have non idea who Gnagahyde is. 

This thread brings back so many wonderful memories of my childhood.  I was never really into SW as a kid as I didn't even know anything about it until I saw ROTJ in 83.  GI Joe and Transformers were HUGE to me though from 84-88.  I had almost the entire line at one point save for the FLAGG and the Terrordome, but I pissed it all away back in the 90's because I had no need for the stuff or any toy for that matter. 

I have a very bad feeling that diving into this 25th Anniversary line is going to cause me to go back and pick up all the vintage toys.

I wish this thread never existed. :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2007, 06:19 PM »
D'oh, I said "Thunder" instead of "Thrasher."  Bad nerd.  ;D

Various Transformer websites - Tformers.com and TFans.com message boards.  They're  supposed to be released to coincide with the release of the movie if not before then.  I don't have a direct source to link to at the moment as the "rumor" was ongoing a few months back.  I'll post in the Transformer thread when something new pops up. 

There's also a trailer for the first collection(?) on the TF: The Movie 20th Anniversary DVD, disc one.  I have been checking fairly regularly to see if a release date has been announced, but one would think it would be relatively day-and-date with the live action film.  Depending on what people think of the LA film, you could either:

1-Go get the old cartoons because the movie made you think, "I forgot how cool TFs were!"

or

2-Go get the old cartoons because you thought the movie stunk and wanted to see how cool the TFs were back in the day.

Okay, TF thread hijack over, back to Joe stuff... :)

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2007, 06:20 PM »
No problem, anything to do with GI JOE from the 80's, I'm your gal!! Don't ask me too much about the 90's Joes cause I block them neon POS out!! ;D  And of course I block anything after RAH as well!! And don't ask me about the ancient Joes either!! They were way, way, way before my time!!

And yeah, Hasbro ruled the toy aisles for about 5 years, 84-89!! I too sold off a good amount of my stuff!! Damn teenage years! >:(

Thrasher was a so so figure, his face was goofy, but the Thunder Machine was one of my all time favorite vehicles! Still have it, but of course in played with condition!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 06:21 PM by Lady Jaye »
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Aucassin

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2007, 11:43 PM »
I don't really care what figures make up the last 15 since I'll probably get them all anyway, but I am hoping for Flash and/or Torpedo. Also, I found one TRU exclusive Hydrafoil on clearance for $19.98 tonight!  ;D

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2007, 12:59 AM »
The same leaked list of new SW items that's making the rounds today has Joe items on it as well.  There seems to be 3 5-packs and 10 single figures listed.  One 5-pack of Joes, one of Cobra and one drivers.

I'm assuming the 10 figures we've already seen are the first 2 5-packs.  The single packs, per that list, are:

Storm Shadow v2
Snake Eyes v2 w/ Wolf
Cobra Officer
Cobra Commander w/ Hood
Flint
Beachhead
Serpentor
Buzzer
Lady Jaye
Cobra Trooper

That would let someone pick up the first 2 5-packs and have a cool set but the single packs then give us some army builder Cobra's and second level Joes. 

I wonder if they'll put Zartan in a Driver pack?  I can't believe they'd do Buzzer without Zartan. 

One thing is for sure, I can't wait till Toy Fair to see photos of these.  As geeked as I am for the Star Wars figures, knowing the lineup for the year makes photos anti-climatic.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2007, 09:30 AM »
Thanks for posting that info efranks.  I'm looking forward to seeing more from this line as well, and hopefully getting a better description of pricing/availability of these things.  I guess it doesn't bother me too much with the five packs and single figures combo.  I'm kind of leaning towards getting most to all of these anyways, and I probably would have picked up all of those first 10 anyways, so if they are in five packs - maybe it will make the hunt easier, or even make the price per figure a little cheaper overall since "packs" are usually supposed to be some sort of a "deal".  We'll see I guess.  Now we'll have to figure out who would be in the "Driver's Pack".  Like you mentioned, if Buzzer is showing up in the single packs, you would sure think that Zartan would have to be included somewhere.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Ok, let me preface this by saying that I like Snake Eyes v2 and Storm Shadow v2, Cobra Commander with Hood and Cobra Officer.......I really like those figures.

BUT.....

If we go on the premise that these 25 are the ONLY 25 we are getting this year or EVER(although there are rumors to the contrary)...then I don't want to see any character get 2 versions at all.  I know the Officer is different enough and I am an Army builder even, but I'd really like to save those 4 spots for 4 more personalities.  If the choices were only these second versions and Crystal Ball, Mindbender, and Battleforce 2000, then yes give me the Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, CC and Officer.

As far as Drivers go, if the the single pack "10" is accurate then Zartan really must be one, since Buzzer without Zartan almost useless.

So here is my prediction for the 5 drivers, followed by my wishlist:

Prediction:
Zartan
Cover Girl
Cutter
Wild Weasel
Clutch

Wish List:
Zartan
Clutch
Grand Slam
Steeler
Wild Bill

I am thrilled with the lists so far no matter what.  I even got my RAH Joes out of storage over the weekend just to get some nostalgia time in, but I can't wait for the new ones.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #70 on: February 3, 2007, 07:24 PM »
Scored the Cobra Viper Pit 6-pack at TRU yesterday.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #71 on: February 4, 2007, 01:56 PM »
Scored the Cobra Viper Pit 6-pack at TRU yesterday.  :)

What is that??  Are they new or old molds??  All the same vipers??  Inquiring Fetts would like to know.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #72 on: February 4, 2007, 02:48 PM »
It looks to me like that same Viper mold Hasbro's been using since 2001- torso, head, arms from the v1 Viper, and the legs from the v1 BAT.

I picked it up because of the so-close-to-RAH-it-hurts paint job on them all.

I could have done without the "Officer" with the gold faceplate, but I can understand the desire of some collectors to have a little difference in their collections.
I'm sorely tempted to pick up another set, but $25 is a lot of cash for six rehashed Cobras.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #73 on: February 4, 2007, 11:42 PM »
Looks pretty nice.  Thanks for the pic!  My bank account is sooooooo not looking forward to picking up another line.  Hopefully I can just pick up the anniversay figures and call it quits.  :-\

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #74 on: February 7, 2007, 02:59 AM »
Well, I kinda saw this one coming:

DTC wave 4: dead.