Author Topic: Direct to Consumer 2005-2007  (Read 32665 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2005, 02:42 PM »
I went there to get a case yesterday, but that was out of stock. So I'm thinking I'll get a couple Crimson Guards and the comic packs until more cases arrive.

Still haven't found that damn Moray. This takes much longer, and I'll have to order it from Amazon. This thing can't have had a very high production run.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2005, 06:03 PM »
I went with Amazon because I have NO faith in my local TRU's.  I'll do the same with the Night Watch too.

I've heard that the case was a big seller even after the price jumped $5 after the 8th.  Perhaps it will let hasbro know how many toys the collectors actually accounted for buying.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2005, 04:57 AM »
I scored a Moray Hydrofoil today. There was no tape on the box, which was Hasbro's gaffe, but after spending an hour putting it together, I'm glad to report I got every piece, though the steering wheel and lens didn't want to stay in place, and I had some trouble getting the long mount to hold in place. I packed away the wheel and lens since I didn't want to lose them.

I thought the marbelized plastic was going to look terrible, but it really does look like camoflague and I'm happy for that. I don't think I'll buy another to repaint, though. $40 is an awful lot for this thing.

I didn't apply the stickers either, since they're a little garish. Maybe I'll put some of the GI Joe logos on, but there's no way in hell I'm putting those flame decals on. Those look ridiculous.

I was glad to get the figures with it too. This is the first RAH Flint I've ever owned, plus Beach Head looks good in Night Force camo. Of course, I was a big fan of Night Force, so I'm a little biased.  :)

Now I'm going to go load this thing up with RAH figures and stare at it for a while.  ;D

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2005, 09:49 AM »
I agree on most of your Moray points.  The paint job really isn't too bad in person now that I've seen it, but they should have painted it black or with some Night Force insignia if they were going to give us those figures with it. I am going to try to score some Cobra decals for it because I do want to use it for them due to the lack of good Cobra vehicles around.  I am thinking about buying the Night Ops Humvee and using it for Cobra as well.  I will order that and a Night Watch set when they are both available at Hasbro's site.  I've heard that the Night Watch set will not be at brick and mortar stores, but we won't know until it's released.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2005, 04:59 PM »
I received a bunch of stuff today. First, I finally got the Spearhead and Max I won on ebay last week. I liked this figure as a kid. Now if I could score the Night Force version, that'd be great.

Second, I got a bunch of Funskool figures from Smalljoes. Flint v1, Storm Shadow v2, Deep Six v2, Airtight v1, and four Night Vipers. I haven't seen carded Joes like this in some time, so I'm just ogling them now. I thought about getting extras for MOC, but I knew ahead of time the cardstock is like two sheets of tissue paper pressed together, so I'm going to open these. I went there to get a squad of Night Vipers, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to get Storm Shadow and Deep Six since most that I find are missing some accessories. Flint and Airtight I bought 'just because' they were there.  ;)

I'm not liking that the backpack for the Vipers is orange, but I don't have to put them on or anything. And I'm sure Funskool used some lead paint on this things.

I think I'll get more of these, especially Scrap Iron, Crimson Guard Immortals, and more Night Vipers.  :) Especially since they're only $4 a piece.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2005, 05:16 PM »

This thing was my favorite GI Joe toy.  I am very proud of myself for not getting sucked in to this or even picking up the vintage figures...I have some self control :P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2005, 06:31 PM »
I'm hoping Hasbro reissues that next, though with them going to the DTC line, I'm not sure they'll be willing to do vehicle reissues.

Then again, they're doing that pretty big ROCC thing, and that's a new mold, so I don't see why they wouldn't do vehicle reissues. I've bought most of the classic RAH vehicles they've done, and I'm not a hardcore collector.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2005, 02:11 AM »
The Hover Craft w/Cutter was one of my favs too Scott.  I got it for my birthday the year it came out...  It was that "big gift", ya know?  Loved that thing...  My first dog, Shena, chewed up Cutter too which irked me but it was all she ever chewed.

I loved that ship though.  It floated ok...  Had that cool little sled and the pointless mini-bike.  I always had Cutter and Shipwreck man it while the Joes debarked for combat from it...

GIJ is one of those thigns I"m really borderline considering getting into.  If my ship came in, I'd be all over RAH collecting and customizing in that genre.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2005, 09:24 AM »
That hovercraft and Cutter set was my favorite as a kid as well.  It was the only "big" vehicle I ever had in that line, and like Jesse, I got it for my birthday the year it came out too.  It became the "Falcon" of my Joe line, acting as a way to carry the whole crew around to different play locations ;).  I still have it, packed up in our basement, although it is in less than mint condition after years of play from myself and my younger brother.  I remember putting that thing in the bathtub as soon as it was all put together to see if it could float...pretty decent.  I've also been on the fence with collecting Joes from time to time, and the new DTC line looks pretty cool.  I think if I was being realistic about it, I'd enjoy collecting the vintage figures/line more than the modern stuff, although there is some cool stuff there too.  I think I still have most of my old Joes, although very few if any of the weapons.  That and Duke is broken in half, Darth Maul style :).  The '82-'86ish time frame were the main years for me, and my favorite figures overall.  I can remember almost having a heart attack as a kid when I finally came across that 1985 Snake Eyes (v2) figure.  By far my favorite Joe toy, my favorite character, and I always liked that "version/outfit" the best.  I never understood why he had a mouth showing through though, because it wasn't like that on the cartoon :P.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2005, 09:47 AM »
My WHALE has also seen better days.  It was played with like no other toy I had.  I would love to see Habro release it again someday. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2005, 09:52 AM »
I've priced on eBay a couple of times the run of figures from 82-87 and I think if I won the lottery or something I'd go buy it.  I collected Joes longer than I did any other Toy Line I believe (even SW)

The Vehicles and Playsets and articulation all kicked SW ass at the time.  Not too mention the cartoon every morning before or after school

Sigh

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2005, 09:42 PM »
I received this in my inbox this morning.

EDITORIAL - DTC GI JOE PRODUCT
==============================

by Corey Stinson
Owner - SMALLJOES.COM

Back in February the bad news was dropped on us - the GI JOE 3 3/4" line
was being put on "hiatus", which most people understood to mean "canceled".
Little did we know that last minute adjustments and new plans were
flying around at Hasbro about the true future of 3 3/4" GI JOE product.

Jump ahead to present - Hasbro is now marketing 3 3/4" GI JOE product
in a direct-to-consumer model.  Mass retailers have been bypassed, which
(at least in some respects) will allow Hasbro more design latitude toward
actual product presentation, packaging, quality, and price point.  As a
result of this new latitude we are now seeing the GI JOE product that this
writer has personally be waiting for since 1994.  New product of the
highest collector-oriented quality!  Awesome new figures with great
sculpts, great concepts full of nostalgia value, and loads of accessories
and gear that actually go with the figure, rather than just being something
thrown in the package as "added value."  The most interesting new GI JOE
vehicles ever designed are coming your way this fall.

At this year's GI JOE convention we were treated to a display of yet more
upcoming product and the quality is staggering.  I can find simply nothing
to complain about.  My GI JOE 2005 convention diary, including many high
resolution pictures of upcoming GI JOE product, can be found here:

http://smalljoes.com/features/conv2005

So, where am I going with this?  Speaking purely as a collector - trying
to avoid sounding sanctimonious, or coming from a point of conflict of
interest - this is a golden moment for GI JOE 3 3/4" collectors.  The
product we've all been asking for and dreaming about for so long is here.

Because of the direct-to-consumer marketing model and the collector-
oriented nature of these offerings, it is now up to _us_ to show Hasbro
that we as a consumer base can support a product line of this nature.
This is a new marketing strategy for Hasbro, and they are going out on
the proverbial limb with these offerings.

Much of this product was probably designed and tooled in the fourth quarter
of 2004, before the direct-to-consumer marketing approach was conceived.
In fact, it's likely that most of this new product was probably intended
for the line that would follow-up Valor vs. Venom.  Apparently, mass
retailers weren't on board with GI JOE any more, and we're fortunate to
have an opportunity to buy the product under this new paradigm.  I mention
this because it was easier for Hasbro to justify this collector-focused
marketing experiment when much of the product was already designed and
tooled (read: significant develop expensese already incurred).  However,
at some point (probably 1st quarter of 2006) Hasbro will have to decide
if we, the collector consumer base, can financially support ongoing
development of totally new product of this caliber.

At the risk of being repetitive - this is an important time for the
collector, a time to show Hasbro that when offered high quality,
collector-oriented GI JOE 3 3/4" product, that we will put our money
where our mouth is and actually buy it, rather than pick and choose
only certain items, only army build to try to impress friends, and complain
relentlessly on the discussion boards about minutia.

We have some of the best new GI JOE 3 3/4" product ever conceived coming
our way now through the end of 2005.  Are we ready to kick our collective,
collecting support of 3 3/4" GI JOE into high gear, or will we have a
laissez-faire attitude toward it?  What happens in 2006 and beyond is
entirely up to us.  Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Corey

---------------------------------------
I can understand the owner of a small store that sells these things has a vested interest in seeing the line continue, but I also think he has a good point. The product hasn't been this good since 1989, and it's kind of a shame Hasbro has to sell it this way to do it right.

I'm beginning to think GI Joe and MOTU might supplant SW as my main collecting interest, since I'm really tired of SW, and all these upcoming exclusives just aren't that great. Meanwhile, GI Joe is getting really awesome, and hopefully with enough support it can continue this way for a long time. And I really want to complete my vintage MOTU collection since the money I'd spend on some substandard SW stuff would be better spent elsewhere. I think that for the cost of the Lava Reflection Obi-Wan and Anakin, I could get a carded MOTU figure.

I'll still collect SW in some capacity, but not nearly what it is now.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2005, 09:47 PM »
I enjoyed my case so much, I ordered a couple extra Crimson Guards and an extra Mutt.

I finally put my Night Force Hummer together too.  I like it alot.  I just wish Rollbar had a "Molded" head instead of a "painted" head, he looks to pasty with painted skin.  But not really much to complain about. 

I have ordered all my stuff exclusively from the Hasbro site.  I won't do it from Brian's Toys since there is no reason to pay DOUBLE for something available from the "Source".  I'd consider going with Smalljoes if they also had some other stuff I was looking for (which they frequently do).

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2005, 08:56 PM »
I hate to reply to myself....

Wave 2 is up on HasbroToyShop.com now.  Vehicles too.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2005, 09:03 PM »
Oh snap. I don't even have wave 1 yet.  :P