Author Topic: G.I. Joe Toys Thread  (Read 104310 times)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2009, 03:29 PM »
Just stopped by Target and everything GI Joe that is not Combat Heroes is on clearance at 30% off.  Finally caved and bought the Cobra 5pack and a few extra troopers.  That $5 price made it easy. 

Yeah ... I saw the same thing here (except that it was 50% off).  But, another Target that I went to today didn't have anything on clearance, so ... results will vary.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2009, 03:46 PM »
Rise of Cobra MARS 3-pack is now available at HTS.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #242 on: June 11, 2009, 08:14 PM »
My Target has stuff about 30% off as well.  I didn't buy anything but I had a 12" Snow Job in my hands for a few minutes.  If I'd spotted some of the first wave of exclusive jets I might have gotten them but here was just one lone Tiger Force A-10 left.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #243 on: June 16, 2009, 01:27 PM »
Been plucking more army builders from Target.  I just can't resist that $5 price.   :)  Just like the good ol days when this line first launched.  50% off would obviously be better, but we're boiling down to Cobra Flints and pilot Scarletts out here.

Hoping the w5 vehicles land at EE before the end of the month.  I have a $15 off coupon and I guess any order over $99 qualifies for free shipping.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #244 on: June 16, 2009, 01:38 PM »
BBTS has the W5 vehicles in stock

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #245 on: June 16, 2009, 01:50 PM »
BBTS has the W5 vehicles in stock

Isn't EE still in California?  How did w5 get all the way up to Wisconsin before hitting down there   ???
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #246 on: June 22, 2009, 03:30 AM »
A friend of mine said his son saw an advertisement on a movie trailer (didn't say what trailer or with what movie it was shown) that talked about a free GI Joe figure with the premier of the Joe movie.  I hadn't heard anything about this and checking the usual websites that would cover something like this turned up no new info.

Anyone hear anything about a free Joe figure with the Joe movie opening?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #247 on: June 22, 2009, 09:33 AM »
I noticed Cool Toy Review has been putting up pics of various Joe movie figures over the past couple of days (the above link has several, they also have some individual figure pics as well of the initial waves).  Although not all of them are great - and from the sounds of things the movie could be craptacular - it does look like it could have a decent toy line.  Too bad the movie isn't likely to match that.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #248 on: June 22, 2009, 12:17 PM »
I'm actually picking up a local's decent sized vintage collection - oddly enough it's right about when the new toys will be hitting so luckily I won't have the cash to dip into this line even if I wanted to....well maaaaaaaaaybe just a Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, but that's probably it for me.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #249 on: June 24, 2009, 12:38 AM »
Does anybody have a list of what will be available the first day?

I am shocked there isn't one readily availble.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:38 AM by Paul »

Offline Alyosha

• Youngling
  • Nemesis Creator
    • View Profile
    • BrokenArrowToys.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #250 on: June 24, 2009, 05:19 PM »
I got these from Paul the other day (after he had them for a couple of weeks) and finally got the chance today to take some pics of them to review.  What your looking at are product samples of each of the ROC WalMart 2 packs (cut these off the cards myself).  Comments on each following listed individually:

First up is Copperhead.  This is the same mold as the Python Patrol version with the knife scabbard and a very nice color palette different from any we've seen thus far.  He comes with a Gen. Hawk backpack, Roadblock v2's M-249SAW, and a black Viper rifle.  This is a good looking figure and a nice complement to GH in the 2 pack.

Next up is Gung Ho.  Obviously, this factory bashed design was put together to emulate the recent Resolute cartoon character, and it's a great figure.  It uses the greenshirt torso, original GH head, TF Flint arms, and legs from DVD Pack Dusty with the backpack and vest from Res COBRA Trooper.  The gear is a JvC H&K rifle, and a RAH Range Viper rotary grenade launcher (that he can't hold).  Still, this version of GH is good stuff.

This is an updated version of the TRU exclusive Night Force Tunnel Rat.  The color palette is overall a touch brighter, but it works nicely.  He comes with all the standard modern TRat gear, and a black Airborne backpack.  The slightly racially insensitive headsculpt is still present, as is the persistent lack of a flashlight, however that does not detract from the figure as a whole.

Included with TRat, is Dreadnok Monkeywrench.  While this figure is entirely a factory kitbash, it's not bad.  It uses the current Outback head, orignal GH body and vest, VvV Dusty grenade band, standard 25th backpack, Snake Eyes C-4 satchel, Crimson Twins arms, and legs & feet from Airborne along with an EELS speargun.  With the exception of the speargun, it all works nicely.  I added a pair of cast black Oakleys from my store to the head which does a nice job of making it look different enough for even the most critical of fans. 

Next is an updated version of the Night Creeper.  When I first saw pics of the paint scheme/body combo, I wasn't a big fan, but the differences in color on the production figure won me over.  The camo is well detailed, and the new gear and parts really set this one off nicely.  The new crossbow is a work of art, but the headgear takes a touch of work to get it to "sit" properly on his noggin. 

Last, but no least is Shockblast (Wave) in a slightly modded TRU Night Force color palette.  Again, it is brighter overall, with added camo, but works well.  The figure is exactly the same as the comic pack offering, with an added Falcon knife and Spytroops auto-shotgun.  He includes the hard helmet and gas mask although they are not shown.  I did have to mod the head to allow him to look down from his permanently stargazing pose, and I also took some material out of the inside of the hat sides to allow for a more astethically pleasing fit and profile.  Still, a winner.

Overall, I'm looking forward to these off screen figures more than the regular movie stuff.  Still, for a bunch of store exclusive kitbashes, these are really great offerings.

Stay tunder later today for final sample pics of Agent Helix, movie EELS, and Pit Commando with all that beautiful gear.  Also, I will have some in hand pics of Reso Roadblock and his buddies this evening as well.  Thanks for checking in!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #251 on: June 24, 2009, 05:53 PM »
Nice pics/reviews Alyosha.  Diggin the Oakleys you gave to Monkey Wrench.  Still probably not going down the 25th repaint route, but they do look nice.

Groovy watermark too!   :)

Offline Alyosha

• Youngling
  • Nemesis Creator
    • View Profile
    • BrokenArrowToys.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #252 on: June 24, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Finally managed to grab one of the Resolute Roadblocks that has been available from China for a while now.  You may ask yourself, "why pay $15 or $20 per figure when these may show up at retail later?" and the answer is that these may show up at retail later.  As with Snake Eyes, I do think that Hasbro will use this tooling at some point (although possibly in different configurations) but at this time they are focused completely on the movie line, and that leaves little time to cross sell an adult style animated version of the property (see Transformers Animated for example).  Rather than gamble on later, I've been grabbing these Resolute versions when I can at a reasonable price as a hedge for prosperity, and really I couldn't be happier.

As good a quality figure as Snake Eyes was (and is) I suspect that Roadblock would be an even bigger hit with the general fandom if this release sees the light of day.  He towers over the other figures and is beefy to boot.  The designs (while maintaining a uniform astethic) are individualized enough that the character shows through nicely for each guy.  

The headsculpt looks like the American made animation, without looking too 'toon for my tastes, and the gear is spot on with a removable vest, pickaxe (why?) and (not pictutred) some rifle-propelled grenades.  The new SAW is gigantic, but looks great, and uses the ammo belt that most of the larger weapons have come with lately.  Overall, this figure is a fantastic updated version of everyones favority rhymin' chef, with a good deal of artistic flair in the design.  Kudos!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 07:13 PM by Paul »

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #253 on: June 24, 2009, 07:14 PM »
I like em... now give em back.  ;)

Offline Alyosha

• Youngling
  • Nemesis Creator
    • View Profile
    • BrokenArrowToys.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #254 on: June 24, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Dey's all boxxed upp...you jus' gotta' come and gettem', kemo-slobby.