Author Topic: G.I. Joe Toys Thread  (Read 105920 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #270 on: July 3, 2009, 01:23 PM »
I see why some people were down on the Night Raven because it doesn't measure up to the vintage version but this one isn't too bad.  The Pit, on the other hand, I'm not impressed with.

I see what Hasbro wanted to do but I don't like the execution.  The vintage Mobile Command Center and The General were pretty slick.  Even the newer Rolling Operation Command Center (ROCC) was decent.  But this version of hte Pit is just kind of goofy.  It's not really that great of a vehicle and as a playset it seems lacking.

Maybe after some people get it and play with it for a while some info will come out about it and it'll be better than it looks.  Just that on the surface, it's not interesting to me.  Especially for $100.  The AT-TE and Turbo Tank look like a much better value IMO.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #271 on: July 3, 2009, 02:15 PM »
I see why some people were down on the Night Raven because it doesn't measure up to the vintage version but this one isn't too bad.

Didn't Hasbro rename the Night Raven?  Thought I read something on Hiss about that a few weeks back.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #272 on: July 3, 2009, 03:12 PM »
I see why some people were down on the Night Raven because it doesn't measure up to the vintage version but this one isn't too bad.

Didn't Hasbro rename the Night Raven?  Thought I read something on Hiss about that a few weeks back.

It still shows as "Night Raven" with Air Viper on HTS.com. If they renamed it then HTS.com is behind the curve.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #273 on: July 4, 2009, 03:41 AM »
Two Targets in my area had figures on the pegs today... I was stunned to find myself drooling over them.  What sculpts!  What paint jobs!  What a variety of characters!  I can't believe it, but I love these.  I bought over a dozen figures already...!

I think these make the 25th Anniversary line look like crap - and no, I'm not joking.  The difference in quality is astounding.

Maybe this line won't bomb after all...?
« Last Edit: July 4, 2009, 03:42 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #274 on: July 4, 2009, 03:37 PM »
I agree, these are pretty neat. I picked up Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and the last Baroness there. I didn't see Destro, otherwise I would have bought him too. I guess the Paris Pursuit SS and SE are in wave 2 or something, since it looked like all my local Target had was wave 1.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #275 on: July 4, 2009, 05:12 PM »
Yeah, SE Paris Pursuit and all the good stuff is in Wave 2.  However, it seems these will all be available Monday as most people are finding them.  I'm in for him, Storm Shadow, Scarlett (Black outfit), the Ice Viper, Baroness (Paris Pursuit) and the Desert Duke.  I also really like the repaint Torpedo they have out.  Sigh.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #276 on: July 4, 2009, 10:16 PM »
Some of these look great.  I picked up a Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes and hooded Storm Shadow.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2009, 01:04 AM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #277 on: July 4, 2009, 11:47 PM »
From Hasbro press release:

"Hasbro is pleased to announce that the first wave G.I. JOE: The Rise of Cobra toys are going to begin to hit shelves ONE WEEK EARLY, starting Monday, July 6th.

Beginning this Monday and rolling out throughout next week, your favorite retailers will be adding G.I. JOE: The Rise of Cobra figures and vehicles to their stores. This is your opportunity to be the first to get your hands on these highly anticipated toys."

So, if you want them you might as well start shopping this weekend since we all know there will be stores that will just put them out whenever they want...  :P

I saw some of these about a week ago.  Not impressive at all.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #278 on: July 5, 2009, 01:48 AM »
Here's what I've gotten so far -

- Duke (Desert Gear)
- Heavy Duty (Impact Armor)
- Cover Girl
- Snake Eyes (Paris Pursuit)
- Destro
- Baroness (Attack on the Pit)
- Zartan
- Storm Shadow
- Viper (Attack on the Pit) x 3

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #279 on: July 5, 2009, 10:16 AM »
How did your Cover Girl look?  I saw two, and both looked kind of monkey faced.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Alyosha

• Youngling
  • Nemesis Creator
    • View Profile
    • BrokenArrowToys.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #280 on: July 5, 2009, 03:35 PM »
Ran to four different places this morning, and only one had any Joe movie stuff out. The TRU on Pipeline in Hurst has a very small section.

No joy at TRU Cherry Lane (big suprise there), and nothing at Walmart on 183/Alta Mere, Target on same, and Target on Precint in Hurst is still in a very slow setup. The lady there said they MAY have the 3 3/4 stuff done today, but it could be tomorrow because it wasn't her section, blah-blah, blah.

Anyway, if you run across anything in West Fort Worth, please post here as I still need to grab a couple more things to add to the short list I got today:

Armored Panther
Steel Crusher (worst name ever)
Shipwreck
Deep Six
Cover Girl (yes, monkey faced)
Firefly X2
Baroness

I saw SS v1, HD v1 & v2, Scarlett v1, Neo Viper, Destro, Stone, Desert Duke, Zartan, Breaker, Snow Job & his vehicle, both version of the Gunship and the PIT along with some roleplay, and the playskool style stuff.

Offline Alyosha

• Youngling
  • Nemesis Creator
    • View Profile
    • BrokenArrowToys.com
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #281 on: July 5, 2009, 06:47 PM »
A quick note.  Be sure to check your Armored Panthers well before buying.  The new tooling for the Armadillo mold has lights added to the front in clear plastic, and my vehicle does not have them, though they are pictured in the artwork and box photo.  They are two small rectangular lights that goe right in the front.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #282 on: July 6, 2009, 09:24 AM »
I stopped by Target yesterday afternoon and they had a new Joe endcap set up.  I stuck to my original plan of just picking up Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, but I'll admit I was tempted to get a few more.  I thought the stuff looked pretty nice too.  I like the little/mid-sized vehicle line they have going, and just looking at that endcap, I could see how it could be a fun line - especially for kids with all the vehicles/weapons/etc.  Our store just had the endcap setup (no aisle stuff), and they had basic figures (just Wave 1 it seemed), the mid sized vehicles, the Night Raven I believe, and the Pit playset.  I'm really hoping the movie will somehow be watchable, despite what we've read/heard.

It looks like TRU.com has a bunch of Rise of Cobra stuff up for sale now, using today's street date apparently.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2009, 09:40 AM by Brian »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #283 on: July 6, 2009, 01:26 PM »
How did your Cover Girl look?  I saw two, and both looked kind of monkey faced.

Looked decent... not great, but not terrible.  I guess better than the Scarlet figures that I saw at least.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #284 on: July 6, 2009, 04:49 PM »
I'm having a hell of a time finding this stuff.  I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've been to two Targets, two Wal-Marts, and a TRU, and nothing.  The only stores I've seen them at were the two Targets that had them out on Saturday.
"Really?  Sorry."