Author Topic: G.I. Joe Pursuit of Cobra (POC)  (Read 91691 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Pursuit of Cobra (POC)
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2010, 10:22 PM »
Found Wave 2 at Target today also.  I didn't count all of them but must have been 2 or 3 cases worth.  I ended up getting Recondo and the Jungle Viper and almost bought Dusty.  After seeing the Dusty figure again, just didn't feel like a must-have fig right now.  Zartan is another good looking figure also so I may pick him up later.

Haven't opened them yet, but probably will later.

Update: I opened both figs tonight and have to say that I'm not hot on either one of them.  Recondo, overall, isn't a bad figure, but the way the head and neck are sculpted he's always looking down.  And while he has a lot of accessories, I don't really get the deal with the odd solar powered backpack.  That doesn't strike me as something that a Jungle expert would haul around.  The traps and the retracting snare are actually fun, though, and if that had been part of the pack without the solar powered stuff I'd have been happier.  The ankle articulation is kind of lacking and if the right hand has a peg, mine is locked up and won't turn so that's a negative also.  He's okay, but I may have to swap out his pack for something that looks more appropriate.

Jungle Viper, on the other hand, is ridiculous.  I get what they tried to do with the camo thing, but it just doesn't work for me.  It's hard to put the figure in any kind of a pose with the camo pieces pulled around him and have it look anything like what it's suppose to be.  It doesn't help that the peg for the figs back isn't a tight fit and it just falls out anytime you try to adjust.  I like the new wrist articulation, and if they'd done the neck right so that you could do prone shooting, I'd call this fig a winner even with the odd camo suit.  But since that doesn't exactly work either, it really deducts points.  The built-in wrist pegs for the arm camo also are a negative for me.  Without the camo parts on, they're still attached and just break up the look of the figure. 

Both figs are good tries, but I'm not overly happy with either.  Maybe I should have skipped these and gone for Dusty and Zartan? 

Anyone want to buy a loose Jungle Viper?

E...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:13 AM by efranks »
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2010, 08:28 AM »
Like everyone else earlier in the week, I found (what looked to be 2 cases of) w2 at Target yesterday.  I picked up Zartan, Dusty, and the Jungle Viper, but left Recondo and Destro behind.  The latter two didn't look bad in the package, but I'm trying to be picky about some of these guys, and I already had a "modern" Recondo from those Cobra Island packs.

Zartan is actually a really nice figure, and much nicer than I had expected.  Tons of accessories, and they all seem to integrate with one another very well.  The ability to store the extra head in the satchel is a huge plus in my book, and I love the little "blinder" that you can put on the bird.  Hasbro really hit this one out of the park.  Dusty is good, I suppose, since I never got the version that was in the DVD packs, and the inclusion of the extra head was nice, although the barbed wire accessory kind of confuses me.

My Jungle Viper's left elbow joint was "fused" together, but thanks to some fine suggestions in another thread, I was able to use hot tap water to loosen it up and bend it without breaking it.  Maybe (probably) I'm just stupid, but it would have been nice for Hasbro to have included some kind of instructions on how to correctly assemble this guy's camo pack (they used to do this for much, much simpler assemblies on the RAH line in the late 1980's, so why not here).  Once I got him together, though, I was really impressed.  The only thing that bothered me was the gun itself, or should I say the inability to hold the gun in a correct position.  I suppose that can be worked with, but overall, I thought it was a good figure well-executed. 

Zartan is still, however, the winner of the three figures I got, and I would recommend anyone on the fence about him to go ahead and pick him up. 

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2010, 01:13 PM »
E, I'll buy that loose Jungle Viper.  :)  Some nut bought everything here and "sent it to his friends in Canada."
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2010, 04:17 PM »
I cracked open 1 of my Jungle Vipers today and had the same problem you had Eric on how to assemble the camo, but he looks very nice with everything properly in place.  No loose backpack peg on mine and he can hold either of his guns just fine - just not sure about the two smaller handguns.  I don't move my figures around too much once I find a decent pose for them.  I give him an A
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2010, 06:11 PM »
I saw Dusty, Zartan, and Destro from Wave 2 and passed on all of them.  The figure designs are really cool, but they just don't "feel" G.I. Joe to me. 

I guess I'm more of a purist than I thought. 

Low Light can't get here soon enough....
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2010, 07:14 PM »
Saw wave 2 of GI Joe today.  Looked them over but passed in the end.  They now have a swivel kicking Snake Eyes to help warm the pegs with Duke and Storm Shadow.  The new Destro has way too much frosty snow on his head and the green eyes are very ugly.  I'll have to look closer, but is the POC Dusty the same as 25th except the heads and accessories?  Zartan looked cool.  I really liked the accessories included with Zartan and Recondo.  

The Jungle Viper may be worth getting just for the gun.  That Jungle Viper gun is suppose to be that big and is an anti-tank type gun used in WWII.  

http://forums.yojoe.com/477778-post10.html

I wish they would have released the Jungle Viper without the Jungle and just made a Night Viper.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:18 PM by spiderpumpkin »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2010, 07:52 PM »
I wish they would have released the Jungle Viper without the Jungle and just made a Night Viper.

I don't see Night Viper anywhere on the JV other than the scope on the head.  Nice throwback if that's what he was supposed to be.  Would have been nice to see this figure done in mostly all black - possibly a variant without the ball joints?  but I still dig him.  Seeing tons of added value in these figures with all their accessories as compared to the SW stuff that come with next to nothing.  $6.99 is tolerable.  I will not be as liberal as I am being with POC now if they were at any higher price though.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:10 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2010, 08:01 PM »
I found Quick Kick and Spirit yesterday at TRU in Binghamton, NY.  They had Quick Kick on the pegs so I asked about Spirit.  They had one case in back and, for probably the first time in 15+ years of toy collecting at TRU, actually brought something out of the back that I wanted!  Bought both of them even though I originally thought I might pass on Quick Kick.

QK, however, is a really nice figure.  He has decent articulation, the nods to both Bruce Lee (scars on chest) and vintage AT (Kung Foo Grip logo on his gi) are fun and his accessories are about what they should be.  I only have two small issues with him, one is the way his wrists are sculpted, especially the left, which has his hand permanently tilted downwards.  It's kind of awkward for anything other than certain action poses and it makes it so his left glove doesn't fit that well.  The other issue wasn't one with sculpt but just with my fig, probably, and that's that the sword doesn't fit into the scabbard well.  It works, but I was a little afraid of breaking something when I put it together last night.  Still, that's probably just something with this one fig and in the end I worked it out anyway.  Overall, B+ on this figure.

Spirit was the one I was most waiting for and I'm really not disappointed at all with him.  There are a couple things that could have been done better, but none of them really take away from the figure itself.  He has really excellent range of motion in his legs and his arms and even his head has room to allow him to look up and down even with the vest on.  His bow, arrow quiver and machete are well done, so is the hatchet, but the gun is ridiculous.  It's larger than the Barrett .50 that came with Recondo for ****'s sake.  The snakes are okay, but I didn't really need them.  What I'd have preferred to the snakes would be a sheath for the machete, especially if it mounted to his vest similar to the way Billy's did in Predator.  Because, let's face it, this Spirit is basically a Joe interpretation of Billy anyway.  The other small nit is the way the pouches on the back of the vest are sculpted, they look fine but they interfere with the quiver fitting better.  The packaging for Spirit warps the loose arrow in the quiver but that's fixable with a little heat application.  One nice detail on the bow is that the wheels on the end are sculpted in such a way that if you wanted to, I think you could get a string on them and have it stay on to better complete the effect of the weapon, nice touch.  Definite A for me.

Way more happy with these two figures than I was with the Jungle Viper and Recondo.  Quick Kick has a small, silenced automatic that also came out of the bubble warped, like Spirit's arrow, so I'll have to heat that and correct also.  Spirit will need a weapon replacement for that ridiculous rifle but he has so many other top notch weapons that that doesn't even warrant a deduction in satisfaction for me.  I think the only two improvements that I could ask for in these figs would be that machete sheath on Spirit and a more neutral left wrist on Quick Kick.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2010, 09:34 AM »
I grabbed Dusty, Recondo, Jungle Viper, and Zartan yesterday from Target in Mishawaka, Indiana.  Haven't cracked them open yet so I can't really review them - but one complaint straight out of the gate, like others have mentioned, is it looks like Recondo will always be surveying the ground for boobytraps.

Zartan was the highlight of the wave for me - cant wait to open him!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 5, 2010, 03:18 PM »
I saw all of those Wave 2 figures today at Target as well, and was awfully tempted.  I even had the Dusty in our cart, but in the end...we're kind of tight right now and I'm doing my best to stick to Star Wars and a little bit of Marvel/DC stuff for the most part.  I'll probably still bite on 25th-ish stuff like the upcoming Low Light, but I'm going to do my best to pass on the rest.  The figures all looked pretty cool though, and I do really like the packaging as well.

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 5, 2010, 11:01 PM »
Still trying to like Christmas Tree Viper but it just seems odd.  Tried it without the tree as a Night Viper and Mike you're right it isn't anything like the 1989 Night Viper.  Hasbro please bring back 25th Anniversary figures that we are missing.  Dial-Tone from the Club is start but we need a 25th Night Viper.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2010, 10:48 AM »
New POC vehicles are up for pre-order on HTS

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Two new cases of wave 2 at my local Target. The JVs were gone already, and the dude was in the aisle still stocking the rest of the aisle. Seriously, how fast do these sell? This is goddamn incredible that I can't find this guy at retail, and it's not for lack of trying.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2010, 06:02 PM »
Picked up POC Zartan last night at Target and then today when I stopped there were about 3 more cases of W2 on the pegs, including the Jungle Vipers.

I don't think anyone had gotten to them yet.

E...

Offline Thrawn

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Are people finding the Spirit and Quick kick easily?  I've been checking  Toy R Us 2-3 times a week for about a month now and not a thing...Just not sure if it is a slowly leaking out thing for those that found them, or if I just kind of missed the big release when they did come out.