Author Topic: The Pacific (HBO)  (Read 6863 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Pacific (HBO)
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Yes, since the outcome is pre-determined and it is Spielberg and Hanks not Tarantino, there won't be any surprise parrallel universe endings.

Have not had a chance to view last nights episode more than 5 mins.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: April 8, 2010, 12:32 AM »
Yes, since the outcome is pre-determined and it is Spielberg and Hanks not Tarantino, there won't be any surprise parrallel universe endings.

Hah.  :D

Well I finally got to see episode 3 tonight (I know, I'm behind).  It was an interesting episode since it dealt entirely with their leave...  I thought it was interesting that, to train them, they just dumped them 100 miles from where they were with the food rations the Japanese were used to getting, and told to hump it back.  That's a good way to test your guys and their fitness I guess.

The budding love stories were a different direction...  Not necessarilly what I'm interested in watching, but at the same time it gave a probably much more honest expression of romance at the time, compared to a lot of other movies from the era.  Some saw you off, but others wanted you to leave their lives for fear of the pain of losing you in battle.  That stung, and was a really sad moment.

Anyway, I've got Episode 4 to watch when I get some time...  That'll be never.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: April 8, 2010, 12:56 AM »
I really like this so far...and I am almost ashamed to admit that I know little to nothing of both of my grandfather's time in the service.  I've heard bits and pieces. 

My one grandpa was a dentist in the Army and was getting ready to go to Normandy when a guy on the boat he was staging on puked...turns out he had viral Meningitis and soon so too did my grandpa.  Did dude puking set the stage for me still being here?  I often wonder that.

My other grandpa was also in the Army.  He was part of the Italian Invasion and part of the supply chain of some sort.  He drove trucks and was a mechanic.  We have lots of pictures of him in Rome in front of the Colesseum etc.  He used to tell mainly stories as they related to us hunting together.  How he went duck hunting on the sea and how he once saw a guy cut a deer in half with a machine gun.

What I don't know is if either actually were involved in combat.  Neither really either talked about it and have both since passed on.  One of those deals I guess.

Anyway...I know neither were as crazy into it as these Marines were.  Truly and absolutely amazing what those guys went through.  Even more amazing that they have them talking ahead of each episode, making it all the more special.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 8, 2010, 08:20 AM »
Even more amazing that they have them talking ahead of each episode, making it all the more special.

Well, I finally got to see Part One last night. Very painful to see the Marines get all excited about the sea battle at night, only to find out all of their ships are gone. The skirmish following that was also pretty intense.

This is nearly as awesome as BoB, but I didn't get veterans' interviews before the episode. Does that start with Part Two?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 01:06 AM »
Tonight's episode was absolutely fantastic...the **** those guys lived through...once again, the sacrifice that all of the armed forces give is truly epic but the Marines especially.  Wow

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 08:37 AM »
That was a great episode, I'm surprised more vets arent messed up considering some of the things they would have seen

Go the marines !!
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 01:22 PM »
As much as I look forward to each episode, I know that each one will bring an eventual end to the series/war with nothing new WWII related on the horizon.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 2, 2010, 01:18 PM »
True, but just like BOB, The Pacific shows a lot of what individuals were going through back then.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 08:40 AM »
That was a good series.
The guys that were alive at the end, I just wanted to shake their hands
People that serve in the armed forces should never have to want for anything.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 08:17 AM »
Part seven and eight were just awesome. And very sad in the end....