Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 5  (Read 87769 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: "Vintage" Collection Wave 5 (2011 Wave 1)
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2010, 01:08 AM »
I'll likely grab at least one Stormtrooper since I don't yet have a ball-jointed hip version yet.  It's more out of curiosity that I'd pick it up.

I may grab a Luke since I need a newer one for my Cantina display, but I'll wait and see how that facesculpt ends up.  

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2010, 01:39 AM »
This "new" Han has been in my collection ever since the DS escape version was released. I modded all of my VOTC Hans. This wave would be fine as a bonus wave but since it's not this is just a resounding disappointment all around.

Even with this crap line up why would you put Gree in there? He is a Saga Legends figure for Yoda's sake. That's the repack you chose Hasbro, really?

Plus, Gree was a "Greatest Hits" figure in 2008.

I'm also in the camp of this being a ho-hum wave. I think they might be relying little too hard on the Vintage packaging to sell some of these.

If I was a "typical" collector, I'd pass on all but the Luke for the following reasons:
Utapau Clone (I don't like the BJ hips)
Stormtrooper (cuz we have it already in the Sandtrooper release)
R5-D4 (the TSC one is superior in design)
Gree (see above)
Han (a better one can be made with existing figures in my collection).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:47 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2010, 01:43 AM »
Gree will have just enough of a paint difference to piss folks off, ala Cody. :)

I thought Cody was a straight repack?  What's the paint difference?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2010, 01:48 AM »
Gree will have just enough of a paint difference to piss folks off, ala Cody. :)

I thought Cody was a straight repack?  What's the paint difference?

The belt is in the correct orientation and the shoulder antenna is now silver.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2010, 01:50 AM »
Just enough to piss ya off.  ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2010, 01:55 AM »
I may grab a Luke since I need a newer one for my Cantina display, but I'll wait and see how that facesculpt ends up.  

I hadn't paid close enough attention to the Stormtrooper belt on him, so obviously this version of Luke wouldn't be right for the Cantina.  Never mind.  ::)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2010, 01:57 AM »
Thanks guys... have to decide if a silver antenna is worth $8.50.

I don't think that it is.

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2010, 05:22 AM »
I can't see myself picking up anything but the Luke. I like the belt with the grappling hook and that comlink might be removable. If he comes with a newly scaled E-11 I'd be happy.

There's not much I can say about the others that hasn't been mentioned. Between the Jedi and Clones wave, my wallet will probably enjoy the rest.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Jeez...what a friggin' bore.  Yeah, I'll buy Luke.  But that's it. Maybe I'll get Han.  Would have been different had his collar been closed.  Boy, this line is suckin' harder than I could have imagined.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2010, 10:24 AM »
I'm really trying to figure out what I'll pick up from this wave as well.  I have been trying to keep up a carded collection of the OT figures, so I may grab those just for that reason.  The original Utapau trooper was in pretty short supply here locally, so I wouldn't mind having a couple more.  Thinking about it further, I might just pick up a carded Han and call it good.  I usually buy multiples of most Han figures, but I'm just not a huge fan of this one - like it was said, if it had the more accurate closed shirt, that would be a little different.

I sort of like the Luke, depending on what the final product looks like, and the cloth skirt is a nice plus.  I've wanted an extra R5-D4, so I might get one just for that.  I'm always up for a few more Stormtroopers, but like others have said, if it is mainly like the current Sandtrooper - that isn't exactly in short supply locally either.  I usually preorder a set of the wave with The Vintage Collection, but with this one I might just wait for retail.  I just don't see many of these flying off the pegs, unless it is really shipped quickly and followed up by something else.  I kind of like some of the figures in this wave, but with it being so boring I sometimes worry things like this might have a negative effect on the "success" of TVC in Hasbro's eyes.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2010, 10:54 AM »
I suppose they had to rebuild some equity after spending a lot of tooling dollars on the Jedi wave. I'll probably pick up a few depending on how their cards look, but I'm certainly not going to buy any for my loose collection.
So, again, why even spend ANY money on this wave at all...you have all of these figures already made in superior forms to the ones you are putting out...put those out again if that is what you want to do to save some dough in the long term.  It is just stupid IMO

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2010, 11:02 AM »
The astromech droid is laughable. TVC is $8 - a whole $1 mainly for the packaging look - and this figure 1. has no accessories, and 2. is mostly an accessory.

What I said on the 'scum forum, R5-D4 is what we would've got free (piece by piece) had B.A.D. continued. 

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2010, 11:38 AM »
I kind of like some of the figures in this wave, but with it being so boring I sometimes worry things like this might have a negative effect on the "success" of TVC in Hasbro's eyes.

Of course it well effect the success of this line if even hardcore guys like us are saying we wont buy 80% of the product Hasbro is shipping.
Yes, the Jedi wave will sell well, that is if anyone stocks it since my local stores are jammed with the ESB wave.  But man...this wave is just such a turkey...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2010, 12:26 PM »
why even spend ANY money on this wave at all...you have all of these figures already made in superior forms to the ones you are putting out...put those out again if that is what you want to do to save some dough in the long term.  It is just stupid IMO

I am 100% there with you on Han.  I still can't understand what they were thinking with him.

As a Yavin IV Ceremony Han he fails (wrong shirt, wrong sleeves).  It's just the 2009 DSE Han minus the Stormtrooper Belt, plus the gun belt and medal.  The worst part is that this abomination will set back the chances of getting a "real" Ceremony Han with the correct shirt/look.  :(

If Hasbro's intent was for folks to take off the medal and have a plain "Cantina" Han, well he also fails there.  If that was their intent, why bother to tweak the 2009 DSE Han at all?  Why not just use the 2004 VOTC Han plus medal? 

If they weren't going to attach the gunbelt to his leg (like they did for the new Bespin Luke), at least the VOTC Han had the leg strap sculpted on to his leg to fake it.  The DSE Han doesn't have that leg strap, so it's a step backwards in my mind.  It's funny - that ONE detail, attaching the holster to his leg like Bespin Luke, could have changed my whole outlook on this one...

Oh well, ultimately it doesn't matter.  I already know that I'll still buy 1x to keep with my carded Han collection and then I'll move on to waiting for Bespin Han... hopefully they don't screw him up too.  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2010, 01:14 PM »
Oh well, ultimately it doesn't matter.  I already know that I'll still buy 1x to keep with my carded Han collection and then I'll move on to waiting for Bespin Han... hopefully they don't screw him up too.  :-\

That's one figure they better not screw up. I will quit if they do. I hope the line survives until his release.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/