Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 5  (Read 88350 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: "Vintage" Collection Wave 5 (2011 Wave 1)
« Reply #180 on: December 23, 2010, 02:48 PM »
After seeing final pics, I'm going to pass completely :-X

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 23, 2010, 08:13 PM »
I think I might too.  Hasbro didn't even half-ass this wave.  A bunch of monkeys could have done better, I'm afraid this wave is going to pegwarm worse than the ESB wave has at Target.

The character selection is pretty weak, but it's the execution of the figures just doesn't seem like it's going to live up to the standards that they have been setting thus far with this line.

Luke's figure doesn't really capture the feel of the character at all, and the cloth goods look very bad.  He look like he's wearing a mini-skirt.  The figure in the Resurgence of the Jedi battle pack was a superior figure so why not repack that one?  To me this looks more like a MEDICAL FRIGATE Luke...

Then there's the terrible mistreatment of Han Solo... the head looks much too animated and is almost as bad as the face they gave Fixer; it really doesn't look like Harrison Ford at all. Why not just use the head from the 2004 VOTC Han?  It's a better head sculpt... plus the shirt collar on this figure doesn't represent the look of Han wearing his medal either. The 2004 VOTC Han is a better figure.

And if Hasbro is going to give Stormtroopers removable helmets, why not go with a better version of the helmet?  This is a terrible helmet sculpt, so I predict right now that this figure is going to sit on pegs just like the current ROTS all white clone trooper is doing (which is doing so mostly because people don't care for that oversized bucket helmet - most like the crisper ROTS #41 helmet better; and I won't be surprised if that Utapau clone pegwarms too because of that helmet). Why are they going with the decision to use bulky removable helmets on Stormtroopers and Clones?

The repacks in this wave are also surprising.  Why not carry the Gamorrean, Ackbar and Wicket forward? Those figures are super hot sellers and supply is not meeting demand.

It's sad that they can be so lazy because a few different decisions by Hasbro could have made this wave a hit. Instead it sucks.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2010, 08:15 PM »
After seeing final pics, I'm going to pass completely :-X

Very well justified.

And when a lot of collectors pass on it, Hasbro will view it as a lack of collector interest rather than understanding it's because they tried to pass off a wave of crap.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2010, 08:39 PM »
Some new versions can´t surpass former ones
The potj 25 anniversary Luke death star escape was great, the sculpt, also the pose which the toy is in display, the correct depictionof the character using his grappling hook.

More of the vintage line action figures still need balance between sculpt and articulacion.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Yeah, after seeing the EE pics, this wave is even more disappointing to me.  Sure, the character selection wasn't the greatest in the first place, but the figures themselves just don't seem all that well done.  Perhaps it will be different when they hit retail, but judging from these pics they aren't too impressive.

I realize it was a bit of a "fill in" wave to some extent, but I almost think this would have been better received as just a repack wave if they were going to do these characters anyways.  Throw the Resurgence Luke, the original VOTC Han, maybe a different (Tantive BP?) Stormie with perhaps added articulation (I'm not a fan of this removable helmet either), and fill it out with some other well chosen repacks (or maybe one all-new figure) and some smart carry overs (primarily ROTJ wave figures).  Not to be overly dramatic, but waves like this can often be trouble for a line like this - particularly when we're just getting past the constant statements pointing the blame at collectors for the demise of movie line stuff.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Wave 5 Found?

Says they were found in Orlando, and no receipt is pictured. Sounds kinda sketchy.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2011, 01:33 PM »

And when a lot of collectors pass on it, Hasbro will view it as a lack of collector interest rather than understanding it's because they tried to pass off a wave of crap.

I think I want Gree and a 212th clone carded.  But other than that, not too much here.

It's amazing that they can follow up the ROTJ wave with something like this.  It just looks like a total lack of planning.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2011, 02:33 PM »
Wave 5 Found?

Says they were found in Orlando, and no receipt is pictured. Sounds kinda sketchy.

Just saw that, photo has been added now too. I don't think the lack of a receipt is necessarily a big deal, but we should know for sure in the next few days if other reports start popping up.

Too bad we don't have any JD peeps in FL.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Wave 5 Found?

I haven't even seen wave 4 yet.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Seriously...did wave 4 actually hit?  Did I miss it?

I think this wave will sell, to tell the truth.  Luke, Yoda, Han, will move fast.  Clones, oddly, are slow movers in this line.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2011, 05:01 PM »
Wave 4's only been found overseas in any ammount, and then it's been limited by what I've seen.  Nothing in N. America that I can recall, has been reported.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Rebelscum updated with photos from Wave 5 - so yeah, I guess both waves are hitting at the same time?

That seems rather odd. Time to start considering ordering a couple of cases of the AOTC wave I guess...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2011, 07:00 PM »
Yeah I haven't heard anything about Wave 4 hitting in the States, so that's why I called it sketchy. Without a receipt, how do we know this isn't some dude overseas pulling a scam? (that's the conspiracy theorist in me talking, sorry)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2011, 09:55 PM »
Yeah I haven't heard anything about Wave 4 hitting in the States, so that's why I called it sketchy. Without a receipt, how do we know this isn't some dude overseas pulling a scam? (that's the conspiracy theorist in me talking, sorry)

Isn't Wave 4 supposed to hit this month? What I find odd is that there haven't been any reports around (besides in Australia) that these have hit in the USA. I'm hoping that it's just a delay.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2011, 11:48 AM »
AOTC wave is around thus far only in Target Stores ranging from the states of Queensland,New South Wales and Victoria.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope