Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 5  (Read 87878 times)

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
Re: "Vintage" Collection Wave 5 (2011 Wave 1)
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50 PM »
they are cool, but it is not much a mixed wave were are the ESB and AOTC figures ?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2010, 06:29 PM »
There's clearly been some sort of change based off prior reports (one of each film save for TPM).  This is essentially a repack/repaint wave.  Makes you think.  Also, the figures are all good, but incredibly boring.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Fun for the vintage card lover, but I find that wave mostly worthless.

Yavin Ceremony Han...really? Laziest thing ever.

Stormtrooper sounds nice...but they went with the 30th Anniversary helmet "eyes and headband connected" look. Not a big fan of that.

I never got that Gree or R5-D4, but don't care enough to pay $8.

Luke looks prissier than ever.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2010, 07:07 PM »
Yawn...

I'll never figure out if tooling dollars are tight why even bother resculpting already good figures.  There is NO reason why Resurgance Luke and VOTC Han can't be rereleased with new accessories.  Instead they retool them for no real reason at added cost...

This may be the first wave of 6 I pass on completely as I don't need any of those...although I may buy Luke

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2010, 07:19 PM »
A Very Tedious Selection.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2010, 07:41 PM »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2010, 07:42 PM »
Let me reiterate what Scott said, more or less...

I have some hope for Luke, but man some of these look bad.  I may buy Han just to swap a better head onto him, but color me disappointed with this wave, top to bottom.  

I'm going to expand a little here now...

-Luke Skywalker...  Luke's the most appealing figure revealed because, currently, we don't have a decent DSE Luke and so that's cool.  The problem, and they're prototypes so you can't really judge, but the problem is Luke's headsculpt...  Man, i hope that changes a lot between now and release day.

-Han Solo Medal Ceremony...  Right behind Luke as I'd dig a ceremony Han to go with Luke who looks incredibly queasy...  That's a fairly f'd up headsculpt though (again, prototype, things can change), and I'm disappointed to see his holster isn't strapped to his leg.  It's a huge plus to the figure if they'd fix that, so I'm hopeful some things change but I'm not counting on it.

-R5-D4...  Uhm, I'm fine with the one I have, so I'm kinda meh on this one at all.  Unless something's significantly better, then I don't care.

-Cmdr. Gree...  Same as above.  Nothing wrong with the one I have.  Short of this one being vastly improved, why care?

-Utapau Clone...  I'll buy one.  I have dozens of these guys, one more won't hurt with super duper articulation, but otherwise it's boring to me.

-Imperial Stormtrooper...  Ultimate super duper articulated Stormtroopers are cool, but honestly I like the Sandtrooper out now better than this, plus more gear.  Not to mention (again, the whole prototype disclaimer applies) the completely ****** looking helmet and rifle.  That figure's attrocious in that photo I think, but that's me.  I'll pick one up to "fix".  Otherwise I'm buying some more Sandtroopers out right now because they're miles superior looking, come with the field pack and pauldron, and rock a cooler gun for sure.  Piss on this guy.

Sorry Hasbro, but this wave's an epic fail so far, to use the term the kids love these days.   :-\  Maybe things will improve when production images surface.  That'sa lot of improvement needed to overcome the bad though.  I dunno. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:54 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2010, 07:50 PM »
This is the first time since 01 that I am seriously loosing interest in the "main" line.  If it weren't for the vinty cards, then I would only be buying select figures.  Last time I'm doing another carded collection....meh   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2010, 07:52 PM »
I didn't know Han was suffering from AIDS.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed as well.  I mean, the figures look nice enough, but it just seems like some potential was missed.  Like Scott mentioned, why not save the money and just re-release the VOTC Han or Resurgence Luke if you're going to do these versions anyways.  Heck, I'd be perfectly fine with a repack of the VOTC Han with an included medal accessory and call it good (despite the minor differences).  R5-D4 is an understandable repack, to get him on a vintage card, and it wasn't exactly a crazy common figure in the first place.  The Utapau Clone and Stormtrooper look to have some articulation upgrades, so that's ok too I guess.  But overall, yeah, sort of a yawn from me as well.  I know I'm more forgiving than many with these waves consisting pretty much of resculpts/upgrades and repacks, so I'm wondering if this might be one that's left on the pegs a fair amount.

I remember in one of those Collecting Podcasts from Curto that DePriest mentioned this being a smaller wave with only "one significantly new" figure because the next wave was supposed to be more "new" (and larger I believe).  If that's the case, that's great too, because this wave does seem a little boring.  I guess I had my hopes up for the long awaited Bespin Han, even though I didn't think it was coming until later either.  I'll likely pick up the majority of the wave anyways, as I like Han well enough, Luke looks good, and I could always use more Stormies and the Utapau clones.  Gree I could probably do without, and R5-D4 I may pick up an extra.  Nice enough figures, but sort of a let down for the wave.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2010, 07:55 PM »
See my updated post above for my further thoughts.  All pretty sour.  :-X

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2010, 08:15 PM »
The biggest issue I have with the Han is that they put the re-tooling on the wrong part. Instead of giving him a new head, they should have re-tooled the torso - Han's shirt was buttoned all the way up during the medal ceremony. It's great to see the VOTC sculpt back out, but this could have been done better.   :'(
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2010, 08:26 PM »
Yes!  I knew I forgot something, and it's that shirt.  Why bother even doing this figure if you're not going to fix the one thing he had different, his shirt being buttoned.  Good eye there Jason, I forgot that completely.

Further crap.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2010, 08:29 PM »
I don't think these are worth $10 that TRU is charging.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2010, 08:32 PM »
As a Ot collector I would like to get Luke and Han from this wave
minor tweaks on Han: his shirt is not closed (as needed for the Yavin Ceremony), however his legs have improved, cause they are not merely tubular and thin, now the thighs have better shape.

Luke: I find his head enough decent, with a young looking, but I would have prefer his legs were a bit longer and as see from this prototype, not so tubular.