Author Topic: Luke Skywalker  (Read 25135 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Luke Skywalker
« on: April 2, 2010, 11:11 AM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage
Released in 1977 as part of the Early Bird Kit, released carded several times

Modern
Resurgence of the Jedi Battle Pack Luke Skywalker

« Last Edit: April 2, 2010, 11:16 AM by Scott »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Luke Skywalker
« Reply #1 on: April 2, 2010, 11:18 AM »
I also considered the following:

VOTC Luke

Early Bird Luke

Floppy Hat Saga LUke

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 2, 2010, 11:46 AM »
Vintage Variants:

"Brown Hair" Luke

"Orange Hair" Luke

Luke w/Double Telescoping Lightsaber

TIA.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: April 2, 2010, 11:59 AM »
Resurgence Luke to me is hands down the winner of the Modern Update Sweepstakes...Uber Articulated, Spot on Likeness and all that Jazz.  That said, I think the colors are a bit off and the elbows bug me.  While there is probably room for improvement, I still think it blows away all of the closest competitors.  VOTC Luke was a good idea in theory but poor likeness and the softgoods just do not work.  Saga Luke is actually good likeness wise in the body and proportioned alright but the likeness is POTF2 in quality and the articulation is lacking.  Obviously the Early Bird Luke most represents Vintage Luke in articulation.  It sucks ass though and just threw it up for comparison and nostalgia reasons

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 2, 2010, 12:16 PM »
Probably a better Luke would come when Hasbro make the resurgence farmboy a bit taller, with longer legs.
The scale does not need to tend to shorter figures, it must be redifined.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 2, 2010, 12:30 PM »
The "midget Luke" figures Hasbro has been making the last few years really bug me.  I know he's a shorter guy, but the figure should be as tall as Han, Lando, 3PO etc just so it looks better.

Offline evilanimation

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 2, 2010, 04:38 PM »
After looking at these i wonder what 3 3/4 figures are going to look like in another 30 years?? Because to me I cant see what else can be done.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 2, 2010, 08:10 PM »
After looking at these i wonder what 3 3/4 figures are going to look like in another 30 years?? Because to me I cant see what else can be done.

Weeeell, unfortunately, Hasbro loses the Star Wars license in 2018. Sorry to shoot down the bird. :(

But, other than that, action figures will probably be walking and talking on their own!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #8 on: April 2, 2010, 08:44 PM »
Nice ideas....I like the Resurgence Luke as well.  The modern EB Luke is a nice Homage with the telescoping saber and the VOTC one also looks good, but Resurgence Luke has the best character likeness.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Happy Noodle Boy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Anything worth doing is worth doing right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 2, 2010, 09:29 PM »
Definitely my favorite character and figure of all time.

All the crappy Lukes in the past were a real downer for me.

It was a sad day in my youth when my farmboy Luke got decapitated (accidentally by yours truly) in the wheel of a bike, and I was never the same ever since.

But now getting my hands on the Resurgence Luke, I'm very satisfied with it. I have, however, bought like 4 vintage Lukes to make up for my dastardly deed as a kid.

Great job on this Legacy one. Just needs a few tweeks here and there and it will be fine.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 2, 2010, 10:25 PM »
Weeeell, unfortunately, Hasbro loses the Star Wars license in 2018. Sorry to shoot down the bird. :(

2018 is when the current (and unusually long) contract agreement runs out. Given the successful relationship between Hasbro and Lucasfilm as well as the promise of another animated series and a live-action TV series on the horizon, I have little doubt that both parties will want to renew to contract.
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: April 3, 2010, 12:02 AM »
The "midget Luke" figures Hasbro has been making the last few years really bug me.  I know he's a shorter guy, but the figure should be as tall as Han, Lando, 3PO etc just so it looks better.

I get what you are saying John, but I think most people are going to go with screen accuracy on scale.  He is almost a head shorter than Solo

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: April 3, 2010, 12:35 AM »
I still need the resurgence Luke but i cant bring myself to buy the battlepack just for him.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: April 3, 2010, 12:38 AM »
I still need the resurgence Luke but i cant bring myself to buy the battlepack just for him.
I think it is more than worth it...the R2 and extra Ben, plus the table and different Holo Leia.  Plus this Luke, you can't beat it

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: April 3, 2010, 01:14 AM »
I get what you are saying John, but I think most people are going to go with screen accuracy on scale.  He is almost a head shorter than Solo

Seconded from me...

Luke IS short, so I'm a particular collector in that regard.  I like short characters to be short, tall characters to be tall, and average ones to be the in-between.  Army builders and generic guys like that should fit that mid-range (Harrison Ford/Han Solo is pretty average height) with Leia, Luke, and many others just being short guys and so I'm always geeked when Hasbro gets it right on a figure.  ANH Luke is especially short and slight looking in build too...  By ESB, Mark Hammill was filling out a little more in bulk but not height.

Hasbro GENERALLY has done well with scale in the last several years...  The Death Star Trooper's goofy tall, as are some other characters that seem off for one reason or another, but still they've done pretty well, especially with the main guys.

One of the figures I can't get an idea for height on is Biggs...  I've seen pictures of him with Luke that make the two actors seem almost equally short, which would make his TIE Pilot figure accurate and his X-Wing Pilot inaccurate (and I believe his cutscene figure as well).  *shrugs*  Just one of those things I can't seem to figure out, as I can't find Garrick Hagon's height on IMDB or anywhere else.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77