Author Topic: New 6" McQuarrie Customs  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Sillof

• Youngling
    • View Profile
New 6" McQuarrie Customs
« on: April 7, 2010, 09:57 AM »
My site has been up for 10 years now.  You may have seen my Steampunk Star Wars and 1942 Star Wars lines.  As a bit of an anniversary event I decided to revisit my first set of 6" customs from 10 years ago...The Ralph McQuarrie concepts. 

Now I know that most every company has done something with the McQuarrie designs since but I wanted to revisit the set as they hold a special place in my heart and as a curiosity to see how my skills have improved.

I took some liberties with the designs and in some cases infused multiple designs into a new creation.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: New 6" McQuarrie Customs
« Reply #1 on: April 7, 2010, 10:08 AM »
Wow, those are fantastic!  You did these 10 years ago?  Wasn't that before the Hasbro versions of these figures?  I'm surprised at the likeness between the two!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Sillof

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 7, 2010, 10:44 AM »
Thanks

Those are the new versions here are the old versions for comparison.  10 years ago I only had a few images to go by for reference.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2010, 05:47 PM »
Ah I see.  Well done sir - those look great!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #4 on: April 7, 2010, 10:43 PM »
That is a fantastic progression of skill!  They are all very well done (old and new) and capture McQuarries images well.  I like the detailing on the new Threepio.  I think perhaps the older one is truer to McQuarrie's proportions, but I like the more masculine proportions of the newer one.

Do you sculpt all of the parts? (on the Steam Punk and '42 series as well?) or do you start with some base figures and embellish?
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 12:08 AM »
great job in the starkiller twins, cause Hasbro only released the starkiller heroine.