Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: C-3PO
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Couple of thoughts...vintage C-3PO is way tall!  Or...modern C-3PO is way short!   Lots of modern canidates to choose from but I went with Endor Diety 3PO.  Knee articulation, torso articulation, neck peg and removable arms.

I also considered the ROTS version and a couple that are dirty (including the latest Resurgence release) but this one is shiny and has all of the bells and whistles.

I am also intrigued by the upcoming Vintage release...it isn't shiny or anything but it looks keen and has taken articulation to the next level for C-3PO.  The removable pieces have me a little worried and prototypes have been known to be downgraded in final form...

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 11:50 PM »
Hasbro has updated vintage kenner in a smaller scale, less tall and less wide figures, when seeing the results it seems it was necessary

but perhaps bigger scale like potf2 would be needed sometime.

Both 3po´s have similar golden finish, a bit more darker in tsc one.

Back in the 70´s the only figures with elbows and knees articulations where probably GI Joe.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 12:44 AM »
I think the Endor 3PO is the definitive one as it stands now.  The upcomming one looks good, but like you said, we can't judge it until we see the final product.

The MMC version does rate honorable mention, the big drawback on that one is the lack of knee articulation.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 01:17 AM »
I would not mind seeing U-3PO repainted as C-3PO.  Although it looks like that is basically it there in the press release photo.  But yeah, for now Endor C-3PO is fine.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 01:57 AM »
I think 3PO is the one major character that has yet to have a "definitive" version made. So many versions, and all of them LOOK good, but the articulation never really has cut it.

Also that Vintage 3PO looks really detailed for its time period. I'm no Vintage expert, but I don't recall ever seeing that much detail on the sculpts of the other Vintage figures.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:14 AM »
That was probably because he is a solid color (vac-metal, whatever).  From what I remember, almost every other vintage figure had at least two colors (between body and face) and/or some other play feature (lightsaber, etc).  C-3PO just has to stand there and be Gold, so they probably wanted him to look good doing so.   I will state, though, that the Vintage Vader had some awesome detail work as well.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 12:10 PM »
Threepio was my first Star Wars figure.  I still have him but his left foot broke off.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 01:01 PM »
Although I can't say that we've necessarily gotten the "ultimate" C-3PO in the modern line, the Ewok Deity version is pretty nice.  I can't say I'd be terribly disappointed if that's the best we ever got, although I guess a little more articulation would be ok as well.  The upcoming one (Vintage Collection) looks like it could be nice too, we'll see how the "removable" stuff works out.  With the nice articulation we've seen on the build-a-droids over the past couple years (as well as figures like 4-LOM and CZ-3), I think there is still some room to grow with C-3PO.  I do like the vac metal on the 3PO figures though.

The vintage line is another one of those "essential" Star Wars figures.  3PO and R2 are probably right up there with Vader as the most recognizable characters of the entire Saga, to be fans, kids, and the general public.  I had the removable limbs version as a kid, and always liked that figure.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 01:16 PM »
The removable pieces have me a little worried and prototypes have been known to be downgraded in final form...

we'll see how the "removable" stuff works out. 

Yeah, sadly the carded 3PO they had at Toy Fair (which was supposed to be production final according to Hasbro) didn't really look as nice as the loose one or the press image 3PO (prototypes/hard copy/whatever they were).  For example, look at the "circle" thing on 3PO's chest -

In the press image and the loose image, it looks like that check panel had a complete cut out for the circle:  link
BUT, in the carded pic, it looks like the portion underneath the circle is no longer part of the panel: link

I'm sure it changed for production reasons, but the end result is that the panel on the "final" figure makes his torso look a bit too wide/blocky.  Maybe it's something that can be re-positioned to make it look nicer, but he definitely didn't "wow" me in person.

I guess I'm holding out hope that a C-3PO repaint of the U3PO build-a-droid figure is in the works... though it will probably take as long to get that as it did to get the R2-D2 repaint of R4G9. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 03:59 PM »
I guess my question is just why we have a removeable panel 3po coming from ESB?  His panels were never removed in ESB (that we saw, anyway).  I'd be actually happier with a greatly articulated, vac metalized, "Blasted version" with removeable limbs.  Since we don't have much room in these blisters, they could even ship his head and torso in the upper portion of the bubble, and the lower portion could contain the little box that Chewie carries him in (from the trash room to the apartment) with his arms and legs inside of it. 
And yes, this could be based on the U3PO mold and everything would be perfectly ok!(though I wouldn't scoff if they added a few "loose wires" for when you pulled him apart)

I like the Ewok Deity version.  I like even more that I have always seen him ship with the throne, since I can always use the "sticks" as custom fodder for updating my Ewok villiage whenever I put it up.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 04:05 PM »
Also that Vintage 3PO looks really detailed for its time period. I'm no Vintage expert, but I don't recall ever seeing that much detail on the sculpts of the other Vintage figures.
I was thinking the exact same thing while taking the pictures, for a vintage figure, the likeness and detailing is really well done

One other point on the new vintage 3PO...he's missing some pretty important detailing...especially things like the connector rods in the elbow area...I get the idea to try and do articulation, but at the expense of accuracy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 04:14 PM »
For me, Endor 3PO is probably as good as it's likely to get...

Vac-Metalization is sort of delicate and chips easily, so I'll never expect them to go balls out on a super articulated (or near) 3PO with vac-metal.  So I guess Endor throne 3PO is likely to be the winner on my shelf for a long time unless they figure something else out.

That 3PO above looks good, but like Jeff said, the final figure isn't going to look that good probably.

I'm a little more forgiving on 3PO figures since they do nothing but sit, and Hasbro's mastered that, but sure I'd love a SA one that was shiney.  Not likely to ever happen though.

I will say, they got the foot painted gold on that figure above though, and that's something almost every 3PO figure didn't have, even if they remembered to paint his right shin silver (they usually just left the right foot silver too then).  That's a cool little detail they caught.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 05:32 PM »
The vintage one is one of the few I should replace as it's broken/glued. When I see one in the wild though, it's usually the removable limb version.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 10:09 AM »
I think I actually prefer the Revenge of the Sith 3PO to the Endor 3PO.  Even though the articulation isn't as good, the likeness is better, especially the head sculpt.

Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj