Author Topic: The MCU post Endgame.  (Read 12155 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: The MCU post Endgame.
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2022, 04:52 PM »
I really struggled with Moon Knight, but thought Dr. Strange and the Multiverse was entertaining.

I'll probably download and watch Ms. Marvel on some flights later this summer/fall.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2022, 05:03 PM »
This new phase of the MCU has felt a little bit trying.  Endgame was such a climactic event that anything after it was going to have some difficulty getting traction. 

Wanda Vision was just weird until you got about 2/3rds of the way through.  But it’s essential viewing before going into Dr Strange and The Multiverse of Madness.  I felt like Moon Knight was a bit of a struggle, too.  And it’s not exactly easy to make mental illness into comic book fare. 

I’ve actually been enjoying Ms Marvel, and my daughter loves it!  Kamala Khan is not that much older than her, and I think she really appreciates seeing a young girl finding her way as a super hero.  And I also find myself sympathetic to her parents, too. 

I’m really looking forward to seeing the new Thor movie, and so is the kid. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2022, 05:21 PM »
I agree that the MCU seems to be having trouble finding its footing after Endgame.  Thee have been some really good (Spider-Man: Far From Home and No Way Home along with Loki, Falcon & Winter Soldier, Wandavision) and some meh (Doctor Strange, Thor: Love and Thunder, Eternals).

I think there's a lot of potential with making Kang the next Thanos level villain, and I don't want him thrown into everything right away, but right now, the stories are all over the place.

I haven't even given Ms Marvel a look yet because I just wasn't impressed with the trailers.  I'll probably get around to it, but it might be a while.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2022, 06:21 PM »
I've been enjoying Ms. Marvel as well.  There are some Indian/Pakistani cultural references in the show that if you aren't aware of them, you won't get them.  But it's been fun seeing how it all plays out so far.

I haven't gotten to Thor yet, too, but am curious to see how it is.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2022, 09:44 AM »

I wasn't very impressed with it.  There's a lot of forced humor and they've sacrificed the story for the sake of scoring woke points.  The whole Zeus plotline was terrible....like worse than Canto Bight terrible.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2022, 05:52 PM »
I guess it has just felt uneven to me. I watched Ep 5 last night and really enjoyed it. I hate to say it, but I may be getting to that age where I just prefer watching grown ups on tv.  :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 05:53 PM by McMetal »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2022, 04:58 PM »

I wasn't very impressed with it.  There's a lot of forced humor and they've sacrificed the story for the sake of scoring woke points.  The whole Zeus plotline was terrible....like worse than Canto Bight terrible.

We really enjoyed the first four episodes of Ms. Marvel as a family, then forgot all about it when we went on vacation.  I expected to not like it at all and don't like the comic character, so it beat my low expectations I guess.

Also checked out the new Thor L&T last week.  Consensus from the group I went with was a 7 out of 10.  The bad guy could have been badder, some of the plot elements like Zues and Korg were pretty dumb (I'm just a face!), and it felt like a teen romance at times despite Jane and Thor being much older and serious in prior films.  I did enjoy the goats and there were a lot of laughs, but it makes Ragnarok look like a serious drama in comparison.  I thought there'd be more material with the Guardians - if Guardians III hasn't been derailed I wonder if we'd have gotten a fun Guardians/Thor ride that this film could have better connected to and built off of.  As it is, it felt like I missed a couple of issues of a comic somewhere between this and Endgame.

It's a good popcorn flick, but like other Phase 4 material it doesn't seem to carry the importance or tie-ins with the larger story that made the earlier Marvel stuff so successful.  In my opinion, they've got way too many different unanswered plot lines dangling out there for most people to keep straight (or care about).  I can't tell if the Avengers are still around, what's going on with all the characters from the TV shows (Falcon, Winter Soldier, White Vision, Hawkeye(s), Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, etc.  What's going on with the celestials from Eternals and what are Fury and the Skrulls doing?  Are Hulk, Ant Man, Wasp, Captain Marvel, War Machine, Photon, etc. all just going on solo adventures or taking a break?  Dr. Strange helped clean up the Wanda Vision plot, but now I'm not even sure if all these stories are from the same dimension.  And where does venom fit in if at all?  It's crazy to think Fantastic Four and X-Men are coming somehow too.  I'm a die hard Marvel fan, but it's almost too many different stories now without an Avengers movie helping to anchor the broader story.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2022, 05:59 PM »
I saw Thor L&T today.  Frankly, I'm beyond surprised that I was able to avoid the spoilers about who shows up in the credits scene.  I think that there's been a good partnership between Chris Hemsworth and Taika Waititi.  Ragnarok was great.  The jokes seemed a little more on the nose in this one.  And the use of the music in certain scenes was good, but maybe a little bit heavy handed.  And the goats?  OMFG!  I was laughing out loud at them a lot!

Truthfully?  I think the motivations of Gorr were about as well developed as they could be.  And it made him a more sympathetic villain.  I don't think it's on par with the story of Eric Killmonger in "Black Panther", but it made things easier to digest.

Thor seems to be one of the vehicles in the MCU for exploring these other-worldy places and beings.  That was certainly at play with Eternals.  And when the scene came in Thor L&T I wasn't completely shocked to see a pair of Celestials in Ominpotent City.  The introduction of Eternity was surprising, but also gives us a sense of the bigger universe.

As for where things go?  It seems clear that some big pieces are moving around the board for the next phase in the MCU.  Thor is still a major player.  The Marvels is going to be coming soon.  Vision is out there, albeit in a very different state.  One particular future Avenger was introduced in Eternals.  And another possible Avenger has seemingly just been announced.  There's also the matter of the people we saw in Dr. Strange & The Multiverse of Madness.  That opens pretty substantial possibilities moving forward.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2022, 06:46 AM »
It seems I like the new Thor better than most.  I think Hemsworth has made peace with this being his big franchise so I believe he will be one of the original actors to stick around for a while.  I'm still surprised they have kept this whole train running.  Phase 4 seems a bit all over the place currently, but I think we will eventually see everything pulled back in to focus around Kang.  MCU is still heads and shoulders better than the DC movies, not even sure you can call it a universe anymore.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2022, 10:45 AM »
Anyone watch She-Hulk?  My daughter and I watch it together and we watched the finale last night.

It was a really strange series but funny at times.  The 4th wall stuff bugged me at times but other points it was OK. 

Not going to spoil it, but there were some very large regular Bruce-Hulk developments that happened during the show, definitely setting a bunch of Bruce-Hulk stuff up for future MCU stuff.  Was weird to see it dropped into She-Hulk like that (same for Daredevil , I guess).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2022, 11:23 AM »
Anyone watch She-Hulk? 

Is it worth watching?  I watched the first few episodes but lost momentum.   

I plowed through Moon Knight and ultimately thought it wasn't worth my time.

I mostly enjoyed Hawkeye, Loki, and Falcon & WS.  Wanda Vision was so-so.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2022, 11:46 AM »
Is it worth watching? 

It was alright.  She-Hulk certainly had a lot to say about about the internet fanboys whining about lady-Thor, lady-Hulk, lady-Hawkeye, etc.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2022, 11:56 AM »
I've been watching it.  Haven't got to the finale yet, but I've been enjoying it.  I just think She-Hulk is a different kind of show than what we're used to with the Marvel shows, especially with breaking the 4th wall and maybe filling in some 'loose ends'. 

I always wondered why Jennifer's grows in length for the first few episodes, but I figure if the rest of her body grows when she changes into She-Hulk, then I suppose hair growth is also affected.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2022, 12:59 PM »
My wife and I watched She-Hulk and enjoyed it for what it was.  Definitely being used to set up things for the future.  And I absolutely loved the intro for the finale.  Brought me right back to watching The Incredible Hulk as a kid.  Interested to see where they take the characters they've introduced.

Overall I've liked how they have developed each streaming series to be different from what we've seen in the MCU and absolutely different from each other.  Really looking forward to the new series in development and Season 2 of several of these series.

Oh, and Black Panther Wakanda Forever looks amazing and can't wait to go see that!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2022, 11:48 AM »
She Hulk was ok, I would've had a much lower opinion if Jennifer wasn't breaking the fourth wall every show.

I think the ending could've been better.  Not horrible, not great...just kinda meh.
This is the way.

I have spoken.