Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249420 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #225 on: April 16, 2013, 11:33 AM »
POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Yeah - I came into it assuming the guy pulling off his fingernails was Roose.  I figured the liberator was in league with Roose but just some underling.  I think it's pretty obvious now he is Roose and he's setting up Theon for even worse tortures.  Brilliantly executed, IMO.  And it'll be a great shock for the people who haven't read the books.

Roose Bolton has made some very distinct appearances.  He leads the Bolton men in King Rob's army.  He had a brief scene with Karstark when the Northerners came into Harrenhal in the first episode this season.  And he's made appearances dating back to last season.  Methinks you might be confusing Roose Bolton with...

Ramsey Snow, the Bastard of Bolton.  That appears to be Theon's "liberator".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:39 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #226 on: April 16, 2013, 12:02 PM »
Ah yep... I was making that mistake.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 16, 2013, 01:08 PM »
Truth be told, Theon's "liberator" seems far less imposing than I thought he would be.  But his actions seem to be leading toward that sinister path that will lead us to where Theon ends up circa A Dance with Dragons.

Feedback

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2013, 11:34 AM »
Great episode. By far my favorite part was the closing sequence with Dany and her free army. Still haven't quite figured out Margery. I know she is smart and manipulative - but is she really caring or devious and as self-serving as Cersei?  I also like the development if Brienne and Jaimie's "friendship". I have said this before, but the women characters are the brains/heart of this series. They will have the most influence on/over who sits on the Iron Throne.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2013, 03:10 PM »
I've been looking forward to that last scene. 

Some interesting background - turns out it was one of the scenes from the book that inspired the showrunners:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/21/game-of-thrones-dragon-scene/

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2013, 09:08 AM »
Started watching this series on BD (borrowed from a friend) the day after The Walking Dead ended.   Caught up to this week's episode last night.  Would have been even faster but I had to wait a while between seasons.  I think that this show may be my favorite ever.  So damn good. 

You could have knocked me over with a feather when Ned Stark...happened. 

Tracy is 100% correct.  The women are so strongly written in this show it is unbelievable.  The writers are so good at their craft that they can make a person feel pity for even the loathsome Jamie Lannister.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2013, 10:00 AM »
The writers are so good at their craft that they can make a person feel pity for even the loathsome Jamie Lannister.

The thing that impresses me the most about Martin's writing in the novels is his ability to carefully, methodically develop a character fully into a villain you despise and then in one chapter flip your perceptions entirely on end and make turn the villain into the hero you're rooting for. 
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2013, 10:05 AM »
For the life of me, I can't remember a scene in the book like the one with the sorcerer in the crate.  I remember Varys telling his story of his mutilation, but not the special delivery.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2013, 10:18 AM »
I don't recall that either.  Though I read the book so long ago I'm not the most reliable source.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2013, 12:40 PM »
For the life of me, I can't remember a scene in the book like the one with the sorcerer in the crate.  I remember Varys telling his story of his mutilation, but not the special delivery.

That was definitely a surprise.  I can recall Varys telling the story, but nothing to the effect that we saw in this past sunday's episode.  But it does serve to demonstrate that Varys is a far more serious player than we've been led to believe.

I was a a little sad to see what happened at Craster's Keep.  I knew it was coming, but you grow attached to characters like the Old Bear.  And James Cosmo has done a great job portraying Lord Commander Mormont.

But the scene in Astapor where Dany acquired the Unsullied Army was the best scene of the episode.  Again, it's a scene I remember from the books.  But the kicker of that scene was when Dany started speaking Valyrian to the slave trader.  She had known what he had been saying about her the entire time during their previous meetings and kept her composure.  And of course, Drogon did the rest!  But when she freed the Unsullied, and they started stamping the ends of their spears into the ground?  THAT was powerful!

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2013, 01:05 PM »
That is what is so great about this show.  While many moments have an OMG! factor to them, I think Dany's knowing the language and turning the tables was fairly telegraphed, but boy did they ever deliver that in an entertaining fashion.  Even when you have an idea that something is going to happen, when they finally execute, it is always so well done.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2013, 01:20 PM »
The writers are so good at their craft that they can make a person feel pity for even the loathsome Jamie Lannister.

The thing that impresses me the most about Martin's writing in the novels is his ability to carefully, methodically develop a character fully into a villain you despise and then in one chapter flip your perceptions entirely on end and make turn the villain into the hero you're rooting for.
This is exactly what was so awesome about LOST (Sawyer, Jin, Linus, Locke etc) and I totally get the same vibe with GoT.  Jamie Lannister come to immediate mind but there are several others.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2013, 01:29 PM »
They even gave a bit of humanity to Joffrey this last episode.

Of course Tyrion is the ultimate amoral ******* you can't help but root for.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2013, 02:11 PM »

This is exactly what was so awesome about LOST (Sawyer, Jin, Linus, Locke etc) and I totally get the same vibe with GoT.  Jamie Lannister come to immediate mind but there are several others.

The scenes between Arya and Tywin Lannister from last season did that, too.  Tywin had been depicted as a cold, calculating figure with no warmth at all.  But those scenes with him and Arya at Harrenhal cast him in a totally different light.

If only those hadn't been the sole creation of the show-runners, but that's another story entirely....

Feedback

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2013, 04:52 PM »
The scenes with Arya were HBO's creation, but in the books I still found Tywin to be at least somewhat sympathetic as a character.  Still an ass, but he definitely wasn't a two dimensional villain once you understood how the Mad King had treated him and how much he valued his legacy.

The Danni language thing I actually think HBO handled better than the book did.  Or at least it had even more impact on the screen than on the page.