Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249973 times)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #255 on: May 14, 2013, 12:23 PM »
Damn you GOT - I actually find myself starting to care about what happens to Jamie Lannister!  The thing that really stood out to me in the scene where Dany was dealing with the slave trader was how much she had taken on the mannerisms and tone if Viserys - it was almost uncanny.

Jaime Lannister may be one of the most dynamicly developed characters I've ever come across in any literature.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 14, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Damn you GOT - I actually find myself starting to care about what happens to Jamie Lannister!  The thing that really stood out to me in the scene where Dany was dealing with the slave trader was how much she had taken on the mannerisms and tone if Viserys - it was almost uncanny.

Jaime Lannister may be one of the most dynamicly developed characters I've ever come across in any literature.

I agree... His character's stories are very compelling.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 14, 2013, 07:42 PM »

I agree... His character's stories are very compelling.

His scene with Brienne in the tub where he told the tale of the killing of Aerys and what that meant to the people of Kings Landing was amazing.  Because the series has had us so tied up in the Stark story that we haven't been able to see that the actions of "The Kingslayer" were actually quiet heroic.  But because Ned Stark was so bound in the rigidity of oaths, he was never able to reason out what Jaime had done.  As a result I tend to look at Ned a bit differently now.

Jaime is absolutely a complex character.  And I'm genuinely interested to see how he will continue to develop, both in the television series and in the books.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #258 on: May 14, 2013, 11:24 PM »
Is there anybody here reading this thread who hasn't read the books?  I've read a number of "book spoilers" that people only watching the show might pick up on if they're paying attention (there was one implied in Nick's post).  I'd be a lot less worried about what I said in reply if I knew everyone here has read the books.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #259 on: May 14, 2013, 11:34 PM »
I have not...  And probably won't till any respective season they go with is over.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 15, 2013, 07:46 AM »
I've only read through Book 3. I'm trying to stay one book ahead of the series.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 15, 2013, 08:35 AM »
I've only read the 1st book. I believe in avoiding even a hint at spoilers. I would prefer it if we kept this thread "book-free" as far as spoilers go and try and keep the focus in the HBO series and have the other thread include both book and tv series.  I don't even read the episode description before I watch a show - that's how spoiler-free I like it! :-)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Fair enough.  I'll keep walking on eggshells, then.   ;)

With so many major characters dying off, it's hard not to spoil things when you talk about their futures in the books.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 15, 2013, 09:45 AM »
I appreciate it - thanks!
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 15, 2013, 09:55 AM »
I've met people reading the books and it's hard to not say anything because they ask questions and I'm excited to share my insights because someone else is into it.  But I guess there are some minor characters that are made up for the show (or one is a combination of a few) so sometimes when I watch I get a bit confused.  But hell, I missed some of the under-layers while reading the books, unlike others here.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2013, 01:05 PM »
I've only read the 1st book. I believe in avoiding even a hint at spoilers. I would prefer it if we kept this thread "book-free" as far as spoilers go and try and keep the focus in the HBO series and have the other thread include both book and tv series.  I don't even read the episode description before I watch a show - that's how spoiler-free I like it! :-)

A very fair consideration.  It's tough to do that from my own standpoint, since I feel like I am continually comparing the content of the television series with the books.  But keeping those comparisons restricted to the book thread seems like the best way to keep this thread spoiler free.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 15, 2013, 02:23 PM »
I think it would be more confusing to read after the show than before since most of the changes are consolidations of plotlines and characters for TV.  Could get confusing in the book to have to see familiar snippets in different characters' paths.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #267 on: June 2, 2013, 10:13 PM »
Damn, having no information of the books, tonights episode totally got me by surprise. Was not expecting any of that, love when a TV show surprises me.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 2, 2013, 10:23 PM »
And now you know why book readers have been waiting for this episode all season - the on screen adaptation of one of the most shocking scenes in the books and the reactions of non-book readers.  I got goosebumps when Rains of Castemere started playing, knowing full well what was coming.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #269 on: June 2, 2013, 11:19 PM »
I can see that. I still have my money on Jon Snow as the eventual winner but not sure how he is going to resolve his new issues now with the wildlings.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"