Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249435 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #285 on: June 4, 2013, 02:19 PM »

Makes the season finale all the more anti climactic though, they really should have ended it with Catelyn getting her throat cut fade to black. 

I'm still of the opinion that Lady Stoneheart is the final scene.  Gives some little hope to the massive amount of people upset about the Red Wedding.  Plus the episode title is Myhsa, meaning mother.  Makes sense with Dany and the freed Yunkai slaves also.

I also hope they show Greywind's head on Robb's body.

And we need spoiler tags on this site - this writing in minuscule font blows.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 4, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Thanks to the book readers for not spoiling it. I was completely unprepared for it. Honestly - I was much more anxious for Arya - especially when they started playing the Rains of Castamere - I thought it was for her. I have said it all along - the women are the true leaders in this story. Not having read the novels, I say that the front runners are Daenerys and Arya. I used to think Daenerys for sure, but she it seems that she is becoming blood drunk and power hungry - only focused on power. Arya is strong in heart and is more concerned about right and wrong than power. I think she will be the last one standing.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 5, 2013, 07:36 AM »
Wow.  My reaction was very similar to the first girl in that video.  Hand covering my mouth, and saying "no f***ing way..."  This show is amazing.  They did an astounding job building the tension through the whole episode.  When that door shut, and the Rains of Castamere started, I knew business was about to pick up. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 5, 2013, 09:33 AM »
I knew business was about to pick up.

I love that expression.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #289 on: June 5, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Yeah that was a bit of a mind F...  Freaky.  Sad.  You look for a "good guy" and they die like flies.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #290 on: June 5, 2013, 02:23 PM »
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #291 on: June 5, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Well said, Lord Helmet.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #292 on: June 5, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Best part is that it's true here!   8)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #293 on: June 6, 2013, 12:34 AM »
If i wanted to start reading the books after this week's season finale, which book would i start with minimal overlap?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #294 on: June 6, 2013, 08:50 AM »
Middle of book 3.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 6, 2013, 10:13 AM »
Middle of book 3.

I don't know...I think you may have to deal with overlap or you're going to be confused by storylines that HBO merged up.

Middle of book 3 is where the red wedding takes place.  You could start there and be current, but there are going to be a lot of characters that you've not been properly introduced to.

Book 1 was almost chapter by chapter the same as season one.

Book 2 HBO compressed a lot of stuff.  I think I'd start with Book 2, knowing that you're in territory you've already covered but picking up depth and details that inform what is going on in the later books.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 6, 2013, 10:17 AM »
Yeah that was a bit of a mind F...  Freaky.  Sad.  You look for a "good guy" and they die like flies.

This is actually what I'm really coming to admire in Martin's storytelling.  He presents us with obvious, off the shelf good guys to keep our attention occupied while he takes his time fully developing the next wave of more complex, nuanced "good guys" for us to cheer for.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #297 on: June 6, 2013, 10:29 AM »
Middle of book 3.

I don't know...I think you may have to deal with overlap or you're going to be confused by storylines that HBO merged up.

Also it's TOTALLY WORTH reading all the books even if you've seen parts of the first 3 on TV.  They're awesome.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 6, 2013, 11:18 AM »
Also it's TOTALLY WORTH reading all the books even if you've seen parts of the first 3 on TV.  They're awesome.

I agree and with a year of time between now and the start of Season 4, there's plenty of time to go back and relive the entire saga. 

I've been inspired to jump back into Book 4 (started it again last night) and hope to get through 4 and 5 before next season...  Not sure when Book 6 may actually get published.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 6, 2013, 05:31 PM »
How does anyone react to and episode like "The Rains of Castamere"?  Walder Frey may be one of the most cruel and calculating characters of the series.  But he's right up there with Tywin Lannister and Roose Bolton, who oddly enough were BOTH in on the plan.  Walder Frey's "acceptance" of Robb's apology was enough to make your skin crawl.  Especially when he addressed Talysa.  But he knew that he could get away with it, since Robb had come to essentially beg forgiveness.

I think some of the most underrated scenes of the episode were between Arya and the Hound.  Arya seems so determined to get to her family, but Clegane serves to ground her in the reality of the situation.  And when they got to the Twins?  It was remarkable to see the Hound quickly decide to get Arya out of there.  And it absolutely sheds some light on the Hound as a more complicated and honorable character than we might have originally thought.

The scenes with Jon Snow and the wildlings were pretty interesting, too.  He and Bran came so close one another, but circumstances prevented it from happening.  That was one scene that was actually pretty true to the book.  Although Jon being clawed by the warged eagle was actually from book 2.

As for Dany taking Yunkai?  That almost seemed like an afterthought in this episode.  There were definitely some differences with the book, but more may come to light on that front in the season 3 finale.

But the Red Wedding?  OMG.  How brutal and calculated. 

The bedding ceremony seemed semi-true to the book.  Although I seem to recall Edmure knowing that he was being taken captive.  And I also can't recall whether or not the Blackfish had been there, although the show-runners gave him an out from the feast hall.  I know that the Blackfish is supposed to show up again in the next book.

But between "The Rains of Castamere" being played, and Catelyn's discovery that Roose Bolton was wearing chainmail, it became apparent that things were going to turn especially ugly.  The crossbows from the gallery made it clear that this was an assassination.  And when Talysa was stabbed?  That was horrifying.  But one thing took me out of that, and that was the actor who stabbed Talysa.  He had been in a movie called "Pirate Radio", and his character was dumb and affable.  The total opposite of the two-faced Frey who killed the Queen in the North after chatting her up earlier at the feast.

The Freys who were killing the Northmen seemed to be doing the killing the way I had picture it in the book.  But I wasn't expecting Grey Wind to be put down the way it happened in the show.  But Robb's death at the hands of Roose Bolton was cold.  Catelyn's mad grief?  It was even worse.

So how will this season end?  That actually has me scratching my head a little bit.  I know that we saw the return of Jaime to King's Landing in the coming attractions.  And Bran's journey gets him closer to the Wall.  But I think that there are some other plot points that are going to be explored in a big way to close out this season.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback