Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249389 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #495 on: April 27, 2015, 08:10 AM »
Big time changes from the books in last night's episode.  I can already hear the book purist ******** ranting and raving.  Ultimately, I believe the books and show will end up in generally the same spot, they just have to take different paths to get there and I'm ok with that.  I think I know where they're going with Sansa, Brienne and Pod, but it's going to be tough to watch if they keep certain book aspects and apply them to Sansa.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 27, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Big time changes from the books in last night's episode.  I can already hear the book purist ******** ranting and raving.  Ultimately, I believe the books and show will end up in generally the same spot, they just have to take different paths to get there and I'm ok with that.  I think I know where they're going with Sansa, Brienne and Pod, but it's going to be tough to watch if they keep certain book aspects and apply them to Sansa.

Naah, i don't think they will do that to her. I think that was more specific to the particular person and situation. Having Sansa in that role changes things significantly, IMO.

But yeah, they are really all over the map making changes.

I hate to keep asking stupid questions every week, but I am having trouble figuring out Littlefinger's interest in wedding off Sansa to the Boltons. He doesn't seem to be getting anything directly out of the deal, and you'd think he would hate them for killing Catelyn. He implies revenge in his brief conversation with Sansa but WTF is she supposed to do there? She's probably the last person in the whole story who would be capable of evening that score. Plus doesn't he have the hots for her too?

What a waste of a perfectly good potential nude scene for Natalie Dormer.  :(

Loved FrankenMountain!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #497 on: April 27, 2015, 09:27 AM »
Is Littlefinger planting Sansa into Winterfell to murder the Boltons?  Makes no sense at all...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #498 on: April 27, 2015, 12:52 PM »
I thought he was setting up a revolt against the Lannisters ultimately and Bolton would be just a means to an end, eventually.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 27, 2015, 02:26 PM »
Ultimately, I believe the books and show will end up in generally the same spot, they just have to take different paths to get there and I'm ok with that.  I think I know where they're going with Sansa, Brienne and Pod, but it's going to be tough to watch if they keep certain book aspects and apply them to Sansa.

THIS.

The books are pretty epic.  And when you start getting into books 3, 4 and 5 there are LOADS of new characters that get introduced to carry these storylines forward.  There's clearly been some serious consolidation going on with some characters and storylines.  And the way Sansa's story has changed is a real head-scratcher.  But having that element of surprise in the show is actually pretty welcome because if you know where the story is going, chapter and verse, then how exciting can it really be?  Lots of people are probably going to say "But what about Jeyne Poole"?  But the show doesn't really allow for the deep levels of character development and exposition that can be relayed via the written word.  And when you take into account that the showrunners really do have GRRM's confidence about where the story goes and how it gets there?  It gives me a good measure of relief that the story will get where it NEEDS to go, but HOW is up to the producers of the HBO series.

Still, there was one scene that we got last night that I have been waiting years to see!  Jon Snow as Lord Commander is not ******* around.  He gave Alliser Thorne the recognition he deserves and named him First Ranger.  Jon may hate Thorne, but he's probably one of the best officers of the Night's Watch to take that post.  But when Janos Slynt refused Jon's order to take over the ruined castle at Greyguard?  It was great to see Jon would not stand for Slynt's disobiediance and dealt with him swiftly and harshly.  Ned certainly would have approved!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 4, 2015, 01:31 PM »
Where was Sir Baristan???
In the book or in the show?

Well, I guess I meant in the photo, seems like he would have been up there with her, but maybe not.

Guess we know now why he doesn't show up in the photo...

Lots of Lyanna / Rhaegar talk last night.  Seems like the #1 fan theory is almost guaranteed at this point.

Loved the Stannis / Shireen scene.  Wife said "you better hug her you angry bastard" and was happy he did.

Jon has a lot more willpower than I, Melisandre is the hots.

Love the Jaime / Bronn developing bromance.

Wanted more of the Sand Snakes.

Thought the Unsullied went down too easily.  These guys are supposed to be the end all be all of fighters and granted, it was tight quarters and they were slightly outnumbered, but the basically lost to a bunch of nobles dressed for Halloween carrying steak knives.

« Last Edit: May 4, 2015, 01:46 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #501 on: May 4, 2015, 02:16 PM »
Since everything so far has so wildly diverged from the books, I'm gonna call it here:  Brienne and Pod are gonna hook up.

And yeah, the Unsullied went out like punk bitches in those alleyways. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 4, 2015, 04:50 PM »
It seems like the Sons of the Harpy deliberately tried to draw the Unsullied into that alley.  It was tight quarters where they couldn't really use their spears to full effect.  And I was very surprised to see Ser Baristan go down like he did.

Dorne has been interesting so far.  Although I don't know why Jaime and Bronn needed to sail there.  The Sand Snakes were cool, too.  Though I had always pictured them slightly older. 

Tyrion and Jorah Mormont proved interesting.  And it looks like that storyline has been consolidated, too, relative to the books.  And Stannis's talk of Shireen's greyscale seems to be some sort of foreshadowing.

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #503 on: May 4, 2015, 05:10 PM »
Stannis's talk of Shireen's greyscale seems to be some sort of foreshadowing.

They have talked about greyscale for like three weeks now...

Gilly and Shireen talked about it in the second episode, Tyrion and Varys talked about greyscale in last week's episode, then more about it this week with Stannis and Shireen.

I hope they are building to something or else it's just annoying they keep talking about it...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 4, 2015, 05:19 PM »
Well, there was mention of the Stone Men and the ruins of Valyria this week.  I think that this is leading us SOMEWHERE.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2015, 05:20 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #505 on: May 4, 2015, 08:27 PM »
I'm feeling like this season is kinda slow.  As someone who hasn't read the books, that's just my take on things.  It's been ok, interesting, but slower than other seasons.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #506 on: May 4, 2015, 10:17 PM »
Welcome to Books 4 and 5...they get better but this part of the story is really slow and basically moving of the remaining pieces a little closer to each other

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #507 on: May 5, 2015, 09:36 AM »
Yeah, there's a lot of nothing happening through a big chunk of those books.  Think all those "walking across mountains" scenes from Lord of the Rings.  Except each mile with 40 pages of details about the scenery.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 5, 2015, 11:48 AM »
Yeah, there's a lot of nothing happening through a big chunk of those books.  Think all those "walking across mountains" scenes from Lord of the Rings.  Except each mile with 40 pages of details about the scenery.

I've got 3 chapters and an epilogue to finish up in Dance with Dragons... I will say from fresh experience... books 4 and 5 are a grind to make it through.  I think I've been reading those two for almost 18 months.  This season starting back up on HBO finally motivated me to finish the last of the published work.

I will say, reading books concurrent to watching the series is very confusing!!  I can't keep the individual story lines straight, especially when the show starts to veer significantly from the books!   I'm looking forward to putting the printed books down and just watching the show after tonight!

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 5, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Imagine what this season would be like if it was only the fourth book.  If I remember correctly, Tyrion, John Snow and Daenarys were all not in book four.