Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 250051 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #810 on: August 21, 2017, 03:26 PM »
It's a shame that there's only 6 episodes next season, because it seems like there's a TON left to figure out and I'm worried that it won't have any pacing at all, that it'll just be rushed.  Hopefully that's not the case.

I heard somewhere that although there are only 6 episodes next season, they are all going to be about 2 hours each.  I hope that's true!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 21, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Count me in the camp that believed that the White Walkers would not stand a chance against the dragons until this week's episode.  Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion were able to make short work of the Wights, but the White Walkers clearly present a different sort of challenge.  The Night King was able to walk right through those dragon fire flames, just like he did with the fire bombs that the Children of the Forest use.  And the fact that he was able to take down Viserion was that spear was a shock.  And then to bring Viserion back for his army of the dead?  It changes things dramatically.

We've now seen Jon kill what, two of the White Walkers with Longclaw at this point?  It leaves me wondering when he's going to make the connection between Valyrian steel and the ability to kill the Walkers.

I think that things at Winterfell are proceeding as planned.  At least the way Littlefinger THINKS he has planned.  I think some of the animosity between Sansa and Arya is real.  It seems that now Arya is playing her greatest Faceless role ever:  that of an honor bound, rigid Stark.  One of the great lessons of the series was how Ned's devotion to duty and honor got him killed.  And during one exchange between Sansa and Arya, it seemed that Sansa called it right when she asked why Arya hadn't attacked the Lannisters when Joffrey had Ned beheaded.  She could do nothing, and I think Arya knows what an impossible position Sansa was placed in.  But I think Arya is very deliberately playing the role of this unbending Stark for the benefit of Littlefinger in an effort to draw him out.  And it all has to be very believable, right down to Arya not letting Sansa in on the plan.  Because Sansa needs to be able to maintain the loyalty of the knights of the Vale, who came to her aid thanks to Littlefinger.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 21, 2017, 03:58 PM »
It's a shame that there's only 6 episodes next season, because it seems like there's a TON left to figure out and I'm worried that it won't have any pacing at all, that it'll just be rushed.  Hopefully that's not the case.

I heard somewhere that although there are only 6 episodes next season, they are all going to be about 2 hours each.  I hope that's true!

That would be great, but then that would be a full season and why not just make it 10 or 12 episodes instead of 6?!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 21, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Having two hour episodes probably allows them a lot more creative freedom where they don't have to have a neat wrap up every sixty minutes.

I'm still trying to put all the pieces together, but agree Arya is up to something to draw out Littlefinger.  I'm curious to see how Brienne factors in to this and who had her sent to King's Landing (I know it was Sansa, but I think LittleFinger or Arya was behind it). 

I think by having Brienne gone it creates a perceived vulnerability around Sansa that may help to draw out Littlefinger.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #814 on: August 21, 2017, 04:15 PM »
It seems that now Arya is playing her greatest Faceless role ever:  that of an honor bound, rigid Stark.

Very astute, though I think the writing has been wobbly on this. But you're right on. Littlefinger is in for a shock.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 21, 2017, 04:16 PM »
I really enjoyed last nights episode with the exception of the Gendry/Raven/Dragons showing up so fast issue.  Its a shame there isn't a better way to communicate than Ravens but I'm willing to overlook the "time travel". 

When the Dragons showed up, I couldn't imagine that would be the end of the Night King but I certainly didn't expect the lance throw!  Definitely changes the game for Dany's army.  I did think for a moment when Jon went off all rogue again, he would get a chance to ride his own Dragon.

I sure hope Arya is setting up Littlefinger via the long Con... otherwise, the whole Sansa and Arya storyline is very frustrating.   

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 22, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Having two hour episodes probably allows them a lot more creative freedom where they don't have to have a neat wrap up every sixty minutes.

I'm still trying to put all the pieces together, but agree Arya is up to something to draw out Littlefinger.  I'm curious to see how Brienne factors in to this and who had her sent to King's Landing (I know it was Sansa, but I think LittleFinger or Arya was behind it). 

I think by having Brienne gone it creates a perceived vulnerability around Sansa that may help to draw out Littlefinger.

One of the key things for me in coming to my own conclusions about Arya was what she said VS what she did.  Arya very clearly stated what she had done and where she had been, as if she knew that someone would be listening.  But then she gave Sansa the Valyrian steel dagger without a word, and effectively said without words to Sansa "You have nothing to fear from me".  And with Brienne sent off to King's Landing?  I think it could definitely set up a perceived sense of vulnerability for Sansa that Littlefinger might try to exploit.  After all, first he secured Harrenhal for himself.  And then he effectively became the Lord of the Vale of Arryn since young Lord Robin isn't fit to do so.  Lord Baelish might see this as his opportunity to take control of the North as well.  That is, at least until Arya has a chance to deal with him.

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #817 on: August 22, 2017, 09:43 AM »
It was very astute for the Night King to drag around those mile-long giant chains on his journey just in case he took down a dragon that sunk into a lake.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 22, 2017, 10:30 AM »
It was very astute for the Night King to drag around those mile-long giant chains on his journey just in case he took down a dragon that sunk into a lake.

He stole it from Tyrion back around season 2, when he should've used it during the Battle of the Blackwater

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 22, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Funny comment going around is: "I'm picking Gendry for my running back and the Night King for my QB for my fantasy team."
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 22, 2017, 01:50 PM »
Funny comment going around is: "I'm picking Gendry for my running back and the Night King for my QB for my fantasy team."

Yeah, if he's got those skills with a javelin he could have picked off Jon Snow and the crew and ended the whole battle in a couple of minutes.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #821 on: August 24, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Although I enjoyed it (besides the timing issues and the massive chains they had handy), I think the entire season has been predictable. When all three dragons showed up, pretty clear one was going down.

As much as I want to see the new ice dragon bring down the wall next week, i think it will be a let down. I see Jon going back to Winterfell and finally speaking to weird Brann. No idea what is going on with Arya and Sansa but hope she eventually gets killed (i am sure unlikely).

The only thing I really I am unsure about is how the King's Landing meeting will play out. You would think that Cercei has a trap but with the way the writing has been, she may welcome them with open arms.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 24, 2017, 12:22 PM »
I've been reading what appears to be some hopeful speculation about the season finale.  The setting where Danaerys will be meeting with Cersei is rumored to be the Dragon Pit.  And there are further rumors that the Hound will continue south with Dany, and we may finally get the long awaited Clegane-Bowl!

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 24, 2017, 01:19 PM »
Although I enjoyed it (besides the timing issues and the massive chains they had handy), I think the entire season has been predictable. When all three dragons showed up, pretty clear one was going down.

The chains make sense if they brought them from Hardhome because the entire battle was a trap set by the Night King in order to kill/resurrect a dragon.  That whole episode felt like the Night King manipulation/trap to me.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #824 on: August 24, 2017, 01:30 PM »

The chains make sense if they brought them from Hardhome because the entire battle was a trap set by the Night King in order to kill/resurrect a dragon.  That whole episode felt like the Night King manipulation/trap to me.

That would work but if not, seems a bit silly that they have so many chains just hanging around.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"