Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249428 times)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #210 on: April 15, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Or perhaps Sequel Trilogy?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #211 on: April 15, 2013, 09:58 AM »
Ugh - is that what we're calling it now?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #212 on: April 15, 2013, 12:13 PM »
Yeah Sequel Trilogy

Last night, I couldn't help picturing Jaime Lannister/Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as a Jedi...or Obi-Wan, maybe it is the beard, hairstyle and accent :P

The casting and acting in this show has been nothing short of amazing and I can see the SW crew trying to pluck talent

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2013, 02:10 PM »
Jedi Master Hodor.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 15, 2013, 02:34 PM »
Last night, I couldn't help picturing Jaime Lannister/Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as a Jedi...or Obi-Wan, maybe it is the beard, hairstyle and accent :P

Maybe it's the missing appendage.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 15, 2013, 09:53 PM »
There has definitely been some character and time compression so far, comparing this season with the books.  Members of the Brotherhood without Banners have been condensed.  Clearly, we've seen Thoros of Myr and Anguy.  But no Lemoncloak, Harwin or Tom of Sevenstrings, so far.  But then we did see Thoros singing, in something of a nod to Tom.

And the Brave Companions?  They haven't been clearly established, either.  Although this character "Locke", played by Noah Taylor does seem to be a stand-in for Vargo Hoat.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:54 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2013, 11:07 PM »
I flew through book 3 and I don't recall any resolution of the Theon storyline - is this covered in Feast of Crows??

Anyway, I really liked this episode. And I'm really looking forward to seeing Danny's next scenes!!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:08 PM by BrentS »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Theon disappeared until book 5, and then it was half the book until his true identity was revealed. 

This is another situation that works in books, but wouldn't on TV.  If he just appeared a few years from now in the show he'd be easily recognizable, and the mystery wouldn't make sense.  I like what they're doing instead.  Kinda like the Untold Tales of Westeros.  And they're really developing a great new villain.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2013, 07:42 AM »
Theon disappeared until book 5, and then it was half the book until his true identity was revealed. 

This is another situation that works in books, but wouldn't on TV.  If he just appeared a few years from now in the show he'd be easily recognizable, and the mystery wouldn't make sense.  I like what they're doing instead.  Kinda like the Untold Tales of Westeros.  And they're really developing a great new villain.

Well at least I won't continue to think I'm crazy trying to remember his story. I guess I need to get going on Books 4 and 5!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2013, 08:48 AM »
Sorry for the unintended spoiler.   ;)

It's funny, if not for the HBO show I wouldn't have any idea who it was in the books.  The name was completely dead to me.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2013, 08:51 AM »

I'll just try to forget :)  realistically at this pace, I'm years from finishing book 4 and 5 and I'll probably forget in reality  ;D

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2013, 09:09 AM »
It's funny, if not for the HBO show I wouldn't have any idea who it was in the books.  The name was completely dead to me.

I know.  It's nice to put names to faces because there are so many characters that it's easy to forget who is who...and some people have nicknames, etc.  In fact, I learned that one character has a double role that is not necessarily easy to figure out.  But I thought in the books, the identity of Reek was told or alluded to.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2013, 09:59 AM »

This is definitely one of the "go-to" devices for Martin....stop talking about a minor character for thousands of pages, bring them back in under a different name, REVEAL!

I too really think the HBO show does a good job adapting to this by showing us what happened in the interim instead of trying to pull off an awkward surprise twist.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2013, 11:14 AM »
I think that the show-runners might be pulling a bit of a "rope a dope" with Theon.  After all, none of his torturers were specifically identified.  And it had only been established that it was Roose Bolton's men that had captured him.

And when Theon escaped, and was aided?  What did one of the Bolton men call the archer who took them out?  "You little b*****".  That should give us all some insight into who set Theon free, and that he might be in for significantly more pain and torment at the hands of his liberator.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2013, 11:23 AM »
POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Yeah - I came into it assuming the guy pulling off his fingernails was Roose.  I figured the liberator was in league with Roose but just some underling.  I think it's pretty obvious now he is Roose and he's setting up Theon for even worse tortures.  Brilliantly executed, IMO.  And it'll be a great shock for the people who haven't read the books.