Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249972 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #390 on: April 16, 2014, 09:01 PM »
The last time we really saw Tommen before this week's episode was in the Season 2 episode "Blackwater".  Cersei was sitting with Tommen on the Iron Throne, getting ready to poison both herself and Tommen.  At least until Tywin marched into the throne room victorious.  Yeah, Cersei is certifiably batshit crazy.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 16, 2014, 11:18 PM »
I think I have a man-crush on Bronn. While the big wedding dominated the episode, the brief scene of Bronn training Jaimie was my favorite part.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #392 on: April 17, 2014, 12:51 AM »
Definitely one of the best characters IMO. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #393 on: April 17, 2014, 07:18 AM »

Who doesn't have a lot of friends in King's Landing...

Whose patron was just accused of poisoning the king...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 17, 2014, 08:35 AM »
I think I have a man-crush on Bronn. While the big wedding dominated the episode, the brief scene of Bronn training Jaimie was my favorite part.

Bronn training with Jaime Lannister is a change from the books.  In the books Jaime trains with Ser Ilyn Payne, the King's Justice.  IIRC, the last we've seen of Ser Ilyn was in the season 2 episode "Blackwater".

Truth be told, I'm fine with the change if these training sessions between Jaime and Bronn continue.  I think Bronn is a fantastic character and I'd like to see him continue to be in the mix.

Feedback

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 17, 2014, 09:00 AM »
Did the actor playing Ser Illyn pass away? I recall reading a couple years back that he came down with a serious illness, possibly cancer of some type.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 17, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Wilko Johnson, who played Ilyn Payne, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  He's said himself that he's supposed to be dead.  And the survival rates for pancreatic cancer are ridiculously low.

I didn't know until I googled him that playing Ilyn Payne was Wilko Johnson's only acting credit.  He's actually much better known as the guitarist for the pub rock band Dr. Feelgood.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #397 on: April 17, 2014, 06:55 PM »

That's what I was thinking, though he doesn't have a ton of enemies either...  He's just there.  Tyrion getting arrested doesn't help him though, for sure.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 17, 2014, 07:28 PM »

That's what I was thinking, though he doesn't have a ton of enemies either...  He's just there.  Tyrion getting arrested doesn't help him though, for sure.  :-\

With Tyrion arrested who will pay poor Bronn?

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #399 on: April 20, 2014, 09:59 PM »
I feel like things are moving pretty quick, I need to finish book 5 very soon.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #400 on: April 22, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Bronn's definitely taken a hit with Tyrion's arrest according to the last episode...  That whole sequence with Tyrion's squire was emotional, and so well acted on both parts.  I think it was my favorite scene overall.  Though hound bluntly trying to teach Ariya to nut up was a good scene too.

Tyrion always steals the show.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 28, 2014, 07:15 AM »
I enjoyed last nights episode but I'm starting to scratch my head a bit. I don't recall some of these story lines in the books. Without getting too spoilery, specifically I'm confused about Theon, Bran, and Jon Snow's recent arcs. I'm almost finished with reading Feast for Crows, Does some of this happen in Dances with Dragons or are they diverging off the path? Or have I just completely forgotten part of Storm of Swords?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #402 on: April 28, 2014, 08:28 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  I think they've diverged a bit from the books.  I also don't remember anything like the ceremony at the end from the books.

Book Spoiler:

Reading the Wiki - it looks like in the books only Summer ever encountered the traitors... what was left of them.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 28, 2014, 08:52 AM »
I noticed the divergences, too, and there's been several of them.

First?  Locke.  He's purely a creation of the show.  I think he was originally intended to be a stand-in for Vargo Hoat, leader of the Brave Companions.  He was at Harrenhal, and he cut off Jaime Lannister's hand in the book.  But in the show they've folded his role into Locke who is one of House Bolton's men.  And he made his way up to The Wall?  Really?  I understand Roose Bolton wanting to eliminate the last of the Starks in an effort to completely secure the North.  I just don't recall Theon/Reek ever letting the real info about Bran and Rickon's true fate getting exposed to Ramsey Snow and thereby Roose Bolton.

The events north of The Wall are definitely a creation of the show.  And you know that simply because none of those Night's Watch traitors were ever POV characters in the books.  I thought that the fate of the traitors had been left as them having killed one another off over time.  The sequence with Summer and Ghost was definitely a little surprising, and it left me hoping that the two dire wolves would be reunited.  And then for Bran and company to get captured?  Again, another divergence.  But I think the showrunners are trying to build some of the suspense and danger as Bran, Meera, Jojen and Hodor make their way North.

But that last scene?  OMG that was creepy.  Again, a creation of the show since those characters were never established as POV characters.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:53 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 28, 2014, 09:18 AM »
I noticed the divergences, too, and there's been several of them.

First?  Locke.  He's purely a creation of the show.  I think he was originally intended to be a stand-in for Vargo Hoat, leader of the Brave Companions.  He was at Harrenhal, and he cut off Jaime Lannister's hand in the book.  But in the show they've folded his role into Locke who is one of House Bolton's men.  And he made his way up to The Wall?  Really?  I understand Roose Bolton wanting to eliminate the last of the Starks in an effort to completely secure the North.  I just don't recall Theon/Reek ever letting the real info about Bran and Rickon's true fate getting exposed to Ramsey Snow and thereby Roose Bolton.

The events north of The Wall are definitely a creation of the show.  And you know that simply because none of those Night's Watch traitors were ever POV characters in the books.  I thought that the fate of the traitors had been left as them having killed one another off over time.  The sequence with Summer and Ghost was definitely a little surprising, and it left me hoping that the two dire wolves would be reunited.  And then for Bran and company to get captured?  Again, another divergence.  But I think the showrunners are trying to build some of the suspense and danger as Bran, Meera, Jojen and Hodor make their way North.

But that last scene?  OMG that was creepy.  Again, a creation of the show since those characters were never established as POV characters.

Yes, I've had the same confusion brewing since last week's episode.  This week, I was definitely trying to remember what was book and what was just show.  Couldn't remember a Locke character...never remembered Summer and Ghost interacting.  Finally settled on the same conclusion as you and decided I'd wiki it all later...none of these were POV characters.  In fact, we're never explicitly told in the books what happens when the Others get Craster's babies.  It's implied that they convert them, but we never really know.

What's still making it a little confusing, though, is that the showrunners make a very valid point...the mutineers at Craster's would have been a serious security threat to Castle Black.  But I don't remember that ever being addressed by Jon Snow...only vaguely remember through Summer's POV that they were all dead.  So is HBO addressing a plot hole?  Jon should have realized in the books that the Craster survivors posed a threat.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.