Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249420 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #450 on: June 11, 2014, 12:27 PM »
I read the books years before a series was even proposed.  When they talked about it coming to HBO it seemed ludicrous.  But they've treated it amazingly.

There is talk that the "finale" might be a feature-length film.  They might need $100 million if the books end with dragons fighting the Night's King at the Wall.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #451 on: June 11, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Budget does make sense...  As big as Blackwater is they seemed to narrow it.  That would've been difficult to do with daylight battles involving thousands of infantry, archers, mounted, and whatever else the Westeros armies might use that aren't traditional.

I'm anxious for the show next week but now I just worry about who will die that I dig haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #452 on: June 12, 2014, 09:45 AM »
Next week will be batshit.  Watch it live or disable your Internet connection until you watch it.

One thing I read about the Blackwater episode - in the book King's Landing raises a chain around the bay to trap the fleet.  The showrunners explained that the first thing HBO told them was there wasn't enough money to do the chain.  Kind of a shame as that's how the bulk of the fleet was destroyed.  So budget concerns drive a lot of decisions.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 12, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Doesn't seem like a chain would be that expensive.

I missed not seeing that part. Part of Tyrion's finest moments. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #454 on: June 12, 2014, 10:01 PM »
Have a guy on my Twitter Feed that LOVES to blurt **** out about GoT the night it happens.  ::) 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #455 on: June 13, 2014, 09:08 AM »
Doesn't seem like a chain would be that expensive.

I missed not seeing that part. Part of Tyrion's finest moments.

I agree... no idea why they made that determination, I just remember hearing about it.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 13, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Have a guy on my Twitter Feed that LOVES to blurt **** out about GoT the night it happens.  ::)
There may be a couple non-GoT spoilers in my post, but they are both pretty old stuff...

I have a FB friend who does this.  Gone from my feed.  I also take away the official GoT page as well during the season.

The two worst spoiler experiences for me were the official Walking Dead facebook posting a RIP Lori immediately after the episode, one we didn't get to see until the next day.  Grr.

That does not come close to the worst of all though...  Back in the day, there was a lot of hype which Harry Potter character was going to die in The Order of the Phoenix.  I was being very careful to avoid spoilers as I was reading the book. I was reading something on a wrestling news website and in the middle of a non-related topic, the writer stops mid-sentence and says "It's Sirius Black," then continues on with what he was talking about.  I wanted to frigging kill that guy.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 13, 2014, 01:08 PM »
One thing I read about the Blackwater episode - in the book King's Landing raises a chain around the bay to trap the fleet.  The showrunners explained that the first thing HBO told them was there wasn't enough money to do the chain.  Kind of a shame as that's how the bulk of the fleet was destroyed.  So budget concerns drive a lot of decisions.

I was disappointed by the absence of the chain, too.  It really did cement the brilliance of Tyrion's battle plan for the Battle of the Blackwater.  And that particular tactic has a long history.  I knew about it since I was a kid, and lived relatively close to West Point.  I learned that when West Point was a fort for the Continental Army during the American revolution, there was a chain across the Hudson River below the gun emplacements of the fort.  It was designed to keep the British from sailing up the Hudson River.

But I guess I can understand why the chain would have been too costly for GoT.  The showrunners also had only one ship loaded with wild fire sail into Stannis's fleet.  I think having a flotilla of barges sailing into was probably too expensive, too.  Still, the show has absolutely been able to achieve an epic scope at times, and I think that it's still one of the most amazing series we've ever seen on television.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:48 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #458 on: June 15, 2014, 10:12 PM »
Not the ending i was expecting. Good episode but I was really hoping for the book 3 cliffhanger.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 15, 2014, 10:19 PM »
The fight between the Hound and Brienne was not something I was expecting.  At all.  But damn, that was one hell of a fight!  And when Arya presented the Braavosi captain with her iron coin?  Wow.  That thing commands a lot of respect.

Tyrion's scene with Shae and Tywin played out extremely well.  I was wondering how that would be handled by the series.  And I think Peter Dinklage and Charles Dance were fantastic in the scene.

As for things happening North of the Wall?  The end of the Battle for Castle Black played out much as I expected.  But I was a little surprised about how Bran's storyline played out.  I was disappointed with the absence of one particular character.  And I totally was not expecting the death of another.

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 16, 2014, 07:49 AM »
Not the ending i was expecting. Good episode but I was really hoping for the book 3 cliffhanger.

Me too.  Good almost great episode that would have been awesome with the cliffhanger.  I was fully expecting it after this http://instagram.com/p/nEeNM0PA3L/ was posted on Lena Headey's (Cersi) instagram in April (especially after http://instagram.com/p/mVN1fdvAzU/ was posted months before the Mountain and Viper fight).  I'm hoping the character makes an appearance in season 5, because let's face it, most of the shocking scenes in the book are done.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #461 on: June 16, 2014, 12:42 PM »

Me too.  Good almost great episode that would have been awesome with the cliffhanger.  I was fully expecting it after this http://instagram.com/p/nEeNM0PA3L/ was posted on Lena Headey's (Cersi) instagram in April (especially after http://instagram.com/p/mVN1fdvAzU/ was posted months before the Mountain and Viper fight).  I'm hoping the character makes an appearance in season 5, because let's face it, most of the shocking scenes in the book are done.

'Game of Thrones' director explains [character] finale decision (book spoiler) -->  SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 16, 2014, 01:52 PM »
After reading Jeff's posted link, it's hard to know what's up for a certain couple characters and differences from the book.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 16, 2014, 07:53 PM »
The exclusion of the aforementioned character referenced by Jeff may be related to why we did not see a certain character north of the Wall this season. And that could very well tie in with the scene between Cersei, Pycelle, Qyburn and the Mountain.

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 26, 2014, 07:32 AM »
Meet some of the new cast members for GoT season 5!  Notable additions include:

Alexander Siddig (Star Trek DS9, Syriana) - Prince Doran Martell
Jonathan Pryce (Brazil, The World Is Not Enough) - The High Sparrow
Keisha Castle Hughes ( Queen Apalaina in Revenge of the Sith, Whale Rider) - Obara Sand

Feedback