Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249970 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #750 on: July 26, 2017, 04:39 PM »
I don't like to speculate on what may happen to the dragons, but I think it's very likely that they may not all survive to the end of the series.

If I don't get a scene with Jon, Danerys, and [Targaryan bastard] (redacted for those who don't get into spoiler theories) riding the dragons into battle with the white walkers and burning the **** out of the undead, then the entire series will be a FAIL in my book.  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #751 on: July 29, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Agree with your thoughts on Jon messing with Littlefinger.  I've got the feeling that Sansa isn't going to survive through through to the end of the series.

I am hoping she gets her throat slit soon.

As for the dragons, I want an ice dragon to be in the wall. A Song of Fire and Ice (who i believe is all about Jon Snow) would be cool to see fire and ice dragons.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 30, 2017, 08:28 AM »
I don't like to speculate on what may happen to the dragons, but I think it's very likely that they may not all survive to the end of the series.

If I don't get a scene with Jon, Danerys, and [Targaryan bastard] (redacted for those who don't get into spoiler theories) riding the dragons into battle with the white walkers and burning the **** out of the undead, then the entire series will be a FAIL in my book.  :-X

There is a very interesting theory floating around about a significant character that might fit that role.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 31, 2017, 08:02 AM »
man, I just want to fast forward to the part where Jamie punches his fist through Euron's stupid fat face.  >:(

Ellaria got off easy.

The Red Lady continues to intrigue.

I think it was a mistake to make Dany and Tyrion look so stupid and Cersei and Jamie look like some kind of brilliant strategic masterminds over these first few episodes. It really should have been the opposite based on how they have built those characters up to this point.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 31, 2017, 08:51 AM »

I think it was a mistake to make Dany and Tyrion look so stupid and Cersei and Jamie look like some kind of brilliant strategic masterminds over these first few episodes. It really should have been the opposite based on how they have built those characters up to this point.

Jaime's not dumb and knows strategy, plus he has the best battlefield commander on his side now with Randall Tarly and all his experience.  Cersi's been underestimated since day one and she's still kicking (and eliminated tons of her enemies in the process), so she's obviously doing something right.

Everything Dany's done to this point has been relatively easy for her (gold & ships from Qarth, getting the Unsullied, liberating Slavers Bay, getting the Dothraki on board, etc.), so she needed to be brought down a few pegs and experience losses.  Now that her fleet is toast and two of her allies are dead or soon will be and their armies with them, it's time for her to do what Lady Olenna told her to do (be the dragon) and start ******* the Lannisters' **** up.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #755 on: July 31, 2017, 11:30 AM »
The mic drop from Olenna was probably my favorite scene in a long time on this show. I think the Lannister victories make a lot of sense, maybe outside of the Magical Euron Fleet which can be anywhere it wants. All Cersei has right now is her wits, and as she's demonstrated, that's enough. Dany has overwhelming force, or did, which she chose not to do due to her morality. That's not the game Cersei is playing. Dany will be forced to do things she doesn't want to do, and play further into Cersei's hand. They also continue to lay the groundwork for the vulnerability of the dragons.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #756 on: July 31, 2017, 12:00 PM »
Another solid episode.  Although Ellaria and her daughter are in the dungeon...I can't count out Dorne yet.  I wonder if someone will be able to get her out of the dungeon and get Dorne into the fight.  I loved Ollena's exit....just twisting the knife one last time!  Her speech will turn out to be prophetic, because I think Jaimie is going to have to kill Cersei before the series ends...I bet it will actually be emotional for all of us to see.

I also though the scene with Varys and Millesandre was really well done.  Definitely set up their story arcs.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 31, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Indira Varma (the actor who plays Ellaria Sand) said in an EW article that we're probably not going to see her again in the series.  Dorne does seem to be out of the mix for the time being.  I'm also surprised to see how Cersei and Jaime managed to outmaneuver the Queen of Thorns.  I will definitely miss Lady Olenna.  She was one of the true gems of the show.  As for the future of the Lannisters?  Their stock seems to have risen with the taking of Highgarden and Randall Tarly being in their corner.  And they may also be able to get the Iron Bank off their bank.  But everyone still hates Cersei.  And Lady Olenna certainly planted some seeds with Jaime before she took her poison.  The thing is, I've had the feeling for some time that it might eventually be Jaime who would lead to Cersei's downfall.

The meeting between Jon Snow and Danaerys was clearly tense.  But then who in Westeros has REALLY dealt with Danaerys?  Yes, she has dragons, the Dothraki and the Unsullied.  But she's lost her Dornish allies along with most of her Iron Islander forces.  Dany demands respect.  She's earned it in Essos.  But Westeros is a whole new game.  Thankfully Tyrion seems positioned to build some bridges between Dany and Jon, and seems to have struck a deal for the Northerners to mine the obsidian on Dragonstone.  And there's still THAT meeting that preceded their meeting.  The conversation between Melisandre and Varys seemed incredibly forbidding.  And there's more that's going to unfold there.

And then there's Winterfell.  Sansa seems like much more of a leader than ever.  She's running the castle far better than I think anyone might have expected.  And I think even Littlefinger is giving her a degree of respect.  And what can you say about Sansa's reunion with Bran?  It was sad and awkward.  And I don't know how Bran is going to be able to make it possible for his family to understand what he's become.

Feedback

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 6, 2017, 10:18 PM »
Loved tonight's episode! We can discuss more after everyone has caught up.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 6, 2017, 10:26 PM »
That wasn't as good as I had hoped. I was hoping to see every single Lannister and Tarley roasted to a cinder.  >:D

But on the plus side, Arya/Brienne one of the top 5 scenes in the whole show for me. So, so good!

John and Dany heatin' up. Littlefinger got his hands full of Starks now.

I ******* hate Bronn now. It's all well and good to trade quips with Jamie but hurting the dragons is not cool dude. You need to die now.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 6, 2017, 11:09 PM »
Arya's return to Winterfell was a little...odd.  But Arya is different now, so I guess that's to be expected.  The reunion between Arya and Sansa in the crypt was awkward, but then when were the two of them ever besties?  They were always at odds.  Now I think they're trying to get to know one another a bit better, and they also might have finally come to understand what their parents were trying to teach them about family.  And her training scene with Brienne was fantastic!  As for Littlefinger?  I think he may come to regret having given that dagger away...

As for the final scene?  When the field fell silent, I felt the same kind of anxiety that I felt for the Battle of the Bastards.  Because I knew something horrible was coming.  When I heard the sound of the charge?  The show was finally able to convey the full sense of what the Dothraki represent.  And when Dany appeared with Drogon?  I started to think "Is this what the forces at the Field of Fire experienced"?

But that ending?  I really did not know how that was going to play out.  Somehow I suspect that Bronn will survive.  He always seems to find a way.  But Jaime?  I did not see things transpiring as they did.  And that last shot was a significant echo back to the first episode in the series.  But is everything in this show always as it seems?

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #761 on: August 7, 2017, 09:58 AM »
Arya's return to Winterfell was a little...odd. 

I'm honestly surprised that she even went.  I thought the point of the whole Nymeria/call back to season one ("That's not you") was because she realized Winterfell was not her place anymore... but I guess I was wrong on that.  Like you said, she really doesn't fit in as a "Lady" there, so not sure what the point is of her being there is unless she's gonna kill Littlefinger with that dagger she got...

Man, that loot train battle though.  AWESOME.  From the start of the battle, where Bronn realized the **** was about to hit the fan, all the way up to the end with Jaime charging the dragon was top notch, A1 100% good TV right there.  This show needs 100% more dragons ripping **** up (looking at you, Night King) and 100% less "Bronn the Bowman" Hobbit-style dragon crossbow shooting. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 7, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Man, that loot train battle though.  AWESOME.  From the start of the battle, where Bronn realized the **** was about to hit the fan, all the way up to the end with Jaime charging the dragon was top notch, A1 100% good TV right there.  This show needs 100% more dragons ripping **** up (looking at you, Night King) and 100% less "Bronn the Bowman" Hobbit-style dragon crossbow shooting. :P

Yeah, that was the episode we've been waiting 6 years for. 

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #763 on: August 7, 2017, 11:48 AM »
 :o :o :o

I watched this twice last night. The battle was better than most - maybe any - action sequence in any film this year, with the exception maybe of Dunkirk. Amazing.

So I was wrong about a dragon dying, at least for now, but they had me on the edge of my seat. It was weird to be simultaneously worried that Drogon and Bronn were both going to eat it. Made sense for Bronn to die here, but I'm sensing he has some future, probably with Dany's forces. I think Ayra's future is also diverging from what she expected. I don't think she'll be in Winterfell long, and we'll see here riding north where she'll fight against the White Walkers with that blade. Maybe after she stabs Litterfinger with it.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #764 on: August 7, 2017, 12:24 PM »
I loved Arya's return to Winterfell.  The training scene with Brienne was amazingly good!  "Who trained your?"...."No one."  I also like how Arya, Sansa and Bran are catching up and realizing that, although they have grown apart due to their experiences, the fact that they are family keeps them united.  Ol' Littlefinger is playing every angle, and I love how Bran threw the chaos is a ladder quote back at him....just a "I will never trust you" moment that was awesome.

The battle was epic....I think they blew a lot of the FX budget right there.  Tyrion watching, almost pleading for Jamie to run was gut wrenching.  Now Danarys knows the Lannisters have a weapon that can harm her dragons....so she can take precautions against it.  I don't think all three dragons will survive the series...but at least they won't die cheaply.

Also, I'm kind of glad that Jon Snow Targaryan isn't bending the knee so quickly...even though it will give him all sorts of help!  The two will come to some sort of agreement, and I can't wait to see how it plays out.
This is the way.

I have spoken.