Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 250008 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #780 on: August 8, 2017, 10:12 AM »
BOOK SPOILERS>>>>
1.  The Kingsguard at the Tower of Joy.  Why would three Kingsguard, including the Lord Commander and possibly the greatest swordsman in the realm in Sir Arthur Dayne be posted there if not to protect royalty?

I always come back to this, too.  Huge piece of book evidence that wasn't explained very well in the show.

When Ned is battling the kingsguard at the tower, one of them says something about how the kingsguard don't flee and they took a vow.  That vow is to protect the king and the royal family with their own lives.  That means someone still there is king or royal family.   Ned tells the three that the queen and Viserys left for Dragonstone and kind of gives them the chance to go protect them, but they choose to stay and fight.  To me, that means they see someone in that tower as the true heir and not Viserys...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #781 on: August 8, 2017, 12:07 PM »
But at this point I have to wonder if he had it in him to unstrap his armor and swim to the surface.  I'm also a bit curious to see if it was Bronn or Dickon Tarley who tackled Jaime into the water before he would have been incinerated.

It was Bronn...Dickon was wearing armour, the person who saved Jaime was wearing a long coat.

I know Jaime is going to get out of there...but it will be a close call since he's in heavy armor and only has one hand.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 8, 2017, 03:57 PM »
BOOK SPOILERS>>>>
1.  The Kingsguard at the Tower of Joy.  Why would three Kingsguard, including the Lord Commander and possibly the greatest swordsman in the realm in Sir Arthur Dayne be posted there if not to protect royalty?

I always come back to this, too.  Huge piece of book evidence that wasn't explained very well in the show.

When Ned is battling the kingsguard at the tower, one of them says something about how the kingsguard don't flee and they took a vow.  That vow is to protect the king and the royal family with their own lives.  That means someone still there is king or royal family.   Ned tells the three that the queen and Viserys left for Dragonstone and kind of gives them the chance to go protect them, but they choose to stay and fight.  To me, that means they see someone in that tower as the true heir and not Viserys...

That's an incredibly strong case for Jon being the legitimate heir.  But how would Dany regard this sort of news?  And would there potentially be a connection between Jon and Rhaegal?
« Last Edit: August 8, 2017, 04:06 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #783 on: August 8, 2017, 04:21 PM »
Kind of like I mentioned in an earlier post, this would be very destabilizing for Dany, not just in terms of her claim, but her sense of purpose. Her entire life is going to be turned upside down. This might be where this season ends, actually, with her on the verge perhaps of finally taking the throne, or having taken it, to have it taken out from under her.

I go back to her vision at the end of season 2, in the House of the Undying. She enters the throne room which has been partially destroyed. It is winter. She approaches the throne, intent to take it, but then leaves it behind. She follows the cry of the dragons out the gate and through the Wall. I think her ultimate destiny is in the North, against the White Walkers.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 8, 2017, 06:11 PM »
That loss of purpose could be a major problem for Dany.  But then in the coming attractions, it seems as if Tyrion and Varys were extremely concerned with how Dany handled the battle against the Lannisters, and that her inclination to "be a dragon" may be more of a liability than an asset.  That could pave the way for Jon to grow a base of support among Dany's court.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 13, 2017, 10:58 PM »
Jesus Christ, the most important sentence in the whole damn show is a throwaway line by Gilley!

I don't like seeing anyone outfox Arya.

Thanks in advance to the Internet for the screen grab of that scroll I look forward to reading tomorrow.  :D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #786 on: August 14, 2017, 08:16 AM »
Yeah - that throw-away line pretty much resolved all of last week's debate here.   ;D

The scroll was from season 1.  My wife went online to look it up.  Something Sansa was forced to write.  I expect it to cause drama between the Stark girls.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #787 on: August 14, 2017, 10:13 AM »
Jesus Christ, the most important sentence in the whole damn show is a throwaway line by Gilley!

I stood up in my living room and yelled, "what the actual ****, Samwell! Shut up and let Gilly talk!"

I hope that book was one of the ones they stole as they bolted from Oldtown.  Going to be interesting to see how the show puts all these pieces together for Jon... or if they ever do?  Maybe we'll get to know who he is, but he never does?

Also, the way Drogon was smelling Jon and then let Jon pet him... awesome!

It was going to be hard to top last week's episode, but this one was very good. I liked the trip to KL.  Jaime/Tyrion scene was interesting, the Jaime/Cercei stuff not as much.  Wouldn't be surprised if she was lying to him about pregnancy to strenghten his loyalty. Also not sure why they are bringing back Gendry at this point?

I liked the super-team-up group headed beyond the wall.  I know they took some redshirt wildings with them, but gotta imagine a few of those guys don't make it back from that mission.  Would be sad to see Tormud go before he had one last scene with Brienne.  Wouldn't be sad to see Beric finally go, Thoros too... but he may have more Azor Ahai stuff to exposition to viewers.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:35 AM by Jeff »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #788 on: August 14, 2017, 10:45 AM »
There are some pretty compelling theories why they brought back Gendry at this point.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 14, 2017, 11:17 AM »
I thought it was a great episode, and I don't want to get hung up on little things... but how the hell do Jamie and Bronn fall into the water 10 feet from Daenery, a ******* dragon, and a horde of Dothraki and avoid a) drowning in that armor, and b) coming up so quickly that they're immediately captured?  Are we supposed to believe that they swam in armor far enough away that everyone assumed they were still down there?

That was incredibly weak in my mind.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 14, 2017, 12:33 PM »
I thought it was a great episode, and I don't want to get hung up on little things... but how the hell do Jamie and Bronn fall into the water 10 feet from Daenery, a ******* dragon, and a horde of Dothraki and avoid a) drowning in that armor, and b) coming up so quickly that they're immediately captured?  Are we supposed to believe that they swam in armor far enough away that everyone assumed they were still down there?

That was incredibly weak in my mind.

Plus they swam so far away from the battle that they could just lay on the beach and have a nice chat about dragons, and then sneak away and not get rounded up with all of the other troops.

Creative license / suspension of disbelief required.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #791 on: August 14, 2017, 12:49 PM »
I liked this episode a lot, and also give the show a lot of slack after giving us so much the last 7 years, but the yeah, the Bronn/Jamie thing was preposterous. So was the magical powers of teleportation everyone seems to have developed. I don't know the speed at which this is all moving at is justified. I know the show runners are in a hurry to get out of town, but what was the harm in doing 0 episodes this season? What was the problem in filling in a little of this to let it breathe a bit more?

So - R+L were married! Jon is the true heir and the consequences we were discussing just a few days ago I think will probably manifest on the show in a hurry. I've read some comments that Jon's claim is moot because he doesn't want the throne and I see that, but if that were the case, I don't know why the show would continue to lay the groundwork for it. I also, going back to what I was saying before, wonder what the endgame is with Dany given GRRM likes subverting tropes and the prince that was lost is about the most common one there is.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 14, 2017, 01:00 PM »
I liked this episode a lot, and also give the show a lot of slack after giving us so much the last 7 years, but the yeah, the Bronn/Jamie thing was preposterous. So was the magical powers of teleportation everyone seems to have developed. I don't know the speed at which this is all moving at is justified. I know the show runners are in a hurry to get out of town, but what was the harm in doing 0 episodes this season? What was the problem in filling in a little of this to let it breathe a bit more?

I kind of laugh at this too, but I guess its a necessary evil of having the plot move more quickly.  It only took Jon about five minutes of screen time to get from Dragonstone to Eastwatch.  The good thing is that there doesn't seem to be any plot holes as a result.  They state that Jon's absence from Winterfell has been long, but its hard to really feel the amount of time that has passed since he left (probably several months?).

I also laugh that Euron's fleet has managed to magically find and crush all opposing fleets near King's Landing and Casterly Rock, but hasn't found Jon's ship parked near Dragonstone for a couple of months.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #793 on: August 14, 2017, 01:24 PM »
I agree on the force time-travel issues being necessary. Not much time left in the show's run to waste an episode sailing to Dragonstone, another sailing back to Eastwatch, etc.

Same goes with Jaime/Bronn.  Kinda lame... but then so was "sneaking" into King's Landing by just heading onto a beach in a small boat in the middle of the day.  Can't even go at night?  The good outweighs the occasional mis-step in the name of story/character movements.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #794 on: August 14, 2017, 03:22 PM »
I was surprised that Jaimie and Bronn weren't captured...but they were in a river and came up well downstream.  At least that's how I rationalize it.

My jaw dropped at Gilly's talk about Rheagar's annulment and getting married to Lyanna.  But remember, only Bran knows the truth at this point, although I believe after Jon's meeting with Drogon in this episode, Danaery's definitely was surprised at how Drogon acted....I think she suspects there is something more to the King in the North.  The big takeaway is that there is documentation that Jon is not a bastard.  Between Bran's account, how the dragons react to Jon, and this document will be the proof that everyone will need to reveal the truth.

I think I might be more happy when Petyr Baelish dies than I was about Ramsey Snow Bolton meeting his demise.  I have a suspicion that Arya will kill him and assume his identity to keep the Knights of the Vale aligned with the North.

So the super team is heading North to grab a wight...this is going to be a long week.
This is the way.

I have spoken.