Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249996 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #915 on: May 13, 2019, 08:56 AM »
I thought last night's episode was astounding.  But it really was about some things just unraveling beyond anyone's control.  Dany's paranoia has been steadily growing, and it is becoming more clear that the Starks were right to mistrust her, and Jon Snow truly knows nothing.  Varys seems to have let the word out in advance of his untimely demise.  Just how many ravens did he dispatch before he himself was dispatched by Drogon?

The battle was epic.  I was expecting that much.  When Dany took out the Iron Fleet in a matter of minutes and then all of the scorpions on the walls of Kings Landing?  And then when the gates exploded in flames and decimated the Golden Company?  I yelled "holy ******* ****?!!" at my tv.  I had to genuinely wonder if Tyrion's call for the bells to ring in surrender would lead to the limited battle that he had planned for. 

And then Dany turned.  The House Targaryen words of "Fire and blood" were in full effect and it was truly gruesome.

What I'm kind of shocked at is how people reacted on social media.  Have they been watching the same show that I started watching back in 2011?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: May 13, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Burn them all
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: May 13, 2019, 09:52 AM »
I was hoping for something more clever with Varys' demise.  He is not one that has stuck his neck out much at all during all the turmoil over the past 8 seasons, and now he feels he needs to stick his neck out for Jon, who probably doesn't need help anyhow.  I'm fine with Varys' dying, I was just hoping it would be something more nuanced - e.g. got caught trying to negotiate with Qyburn and  crushed by The Mountain, or poisoned.

I was a little surprised by Grey Worm's bloodlust.  I could see him wanting to be honorable and let people surrender.  I could see him wanting to let innocents escape their evil masters.  I understand he was still pissed about the death of Missandei.

I'll be interested to see if in the next episode if he as regrets or how he handles himself.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:55 AM by Dave »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 13, 2019, 10:03 AM »
Burn them all

True dat! Right down to the exploding caches of wild fyre.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #919 on: May 13, 2019, 11:31 AM »
Note to self....unless they bring their elephants, the Golden Company is a waste of money.

Anyone else get the vibe that Varys was poisoning, or at least trying to poison, Daenery's food?

Cleagane bowl was worthy of it's own episode!  Loved it!

I think it would've been a neat twist if Cersei started setting off the wildfire caches throughout the city to try to blame it on Drogon....I was expecting Cersei to have some sort of plan up her sleeve.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: May 13, 2019, 01:35 PM »

What I'm kind of shocked at is how people reacted on social media.  Have they been watching the same show that I started watching back in 2011?

In a word, no.  Many of these people are pop culture vampires, and they'll be off to suck the life out of, and destroy some other cool thing very soon.  Marvel, perhaps?

Dany's actions are very much her character from episode one in the series.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: May 13, 2019, 03:11 PM »
Action-wise, incredible.

Character-wise?  Total bull**** in terms of where certain characters are ending up / going. 

They spent 7 seasons building Daenerys up to be the breaker-of-chains, champion of the oppressed, so she gets mad and flips to commit total genocide because Missandei gets killed?

And speaking of Missandei, she was the freed slave who dies in chains, cool...

They spent 7 seasons building Brienne up to be this total bad-ass independent female knight and the last place we saw her was crying as her man left...

And where did that man go?  To kill Cersei which would have been the ultimate finale to his character arc?  Nope, he went back to her after 5 or 6 seasons of us thinking that he really wasn't as bad as initially believed, that he was redeemable and honorable on some level. 

Meanwhile, those giant dragon-killing Scorpions / crossbows sure went from being super deadly to utterly worthless in a 30 second span. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:12 PM by Rob »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: May 13, 2019, 03:25 PM »
...those giant dragon-killing Scorpions / crossbows sure went from being super deadly to utterly worthless in a 30 second span.

Agreed.

The ease at which they killed Rhaegal offset by their inability of hitting Drogon seemed odd.  The accuracy of those scorpions mounted on bouncing ships seemed ridiculous - both in hitting Rheagal and Dany's fleet.

I would have liked to see something more clever in Rhaegal's death or more clever in how Drogon was impossible to hit.  I did like how Drogon came out of the sun to make him hard to see, but once he started attacking King's Landing it seemed like he was flying around pretty straight and low and didn't take any hits.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #923 on: May 13, 2019, 04:42 PM »
The only reason the scorpions worked was because of surprise.  Drogon was hit by one in season 7 and mildly wounded because they'd never encountered them before, and Rheagal was killed because they were ambushed (not seeing the ambush is another argument entirely).

Danny/Drogon came at the Iron Fleet out of the sun where they could not be seen approaching until it was too late, the scorpions are too slow to react when they are the ones surprised.  That's how they were able to wipe them out early in the battle...at least that's how I looked at it from a tactical point of view.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 13, 2019, 05:26 PM »
I got the impression she was sort of high altitude dive-bombing them too, closing the distances with such speed they couldn’t re-aim in time. And the scorpions mounted on the walls could not swivel 360 degrees I don’t think, so she just had to pick the right angle/direction and they were like sitting ducks.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: May 13, 2019, 07:53 PM »
Danaerys was no angel.  There have been times where her intentions have appeared noble, but she has strayed into darkness on a number of occasions.  EW came up with this:  7 times Game of Thrones foreshadowed Daenerys' dark turn

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #926 on: May 15, 2019, 12:04 AM »
What Matt said covered my thoughts.  I’d add too, they seemed like they’re not as useful the lower the dragon is too.  I’m fine with it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #927 on: May 19, 2019, 07:42 PM »
It’s hard to believe tonight is the end...I rewatched the first episode last night, amazing to think what has happened on the show, my life, the world

I hope the books do the end of the series justice, they surely could have run the last two seasons out by two...people bitching about the pace and plot are sort of right, I look past most of the bitching and focus on the narrative, it’s there and I really can’t wait to read how Martin gets us to this same spot.

Have fun tonight everyone!!!

Online McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 19, 2019, 08:24 PM »
I’m happy I made it to this point 99% spoiler free.  :D

I got pretty much everything I wanted last episode. Fingers crossed they don’t wreak too much havoc with the remaining characters.

And for Gods sake don’t screw up Arya’s story somehow.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #929 on: May 19, 2019, 10:36 PM »
I’m smiling, ‘twas the best show ever and they knocked it out of the park...

Like I said, I don’t disagree they rushed the last two seasons, I’m not signing a stupid petitions to remake anything, the story was told and written and played out beautifully