Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Jawa
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:24 AM »
This was a tough one, I picked the Legacy w/ Treadwell version over the other two here:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:24 AM by Scott »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:21 AM »
That is a toughie...  The one you chose comes with the ion gun, but it's pretty bulky (though probably scaled right judging by its base as a British rifle if I'm not mistaken) as is the holster, so I'm not always wild about it.  I liked the one on the right with the vest when it came out, and the one on the left has the softgoods going for it...

I guess to me it's tough to make a definitive Jawa, and so the diversity they have made, to make 2-packs with droids (and wrap up the Sandcrawler's wares), has been very cool and I am glad to have all the Jawa variants.  I still slip my POTF2 Jawas and Commtech ones into the Jawa mix as they are pretty good figures still, and the POTF2 give you a lot of height diversity as well.

Jawa's are basically done to me...  I'd like sitting drunk ones taking a siesta outside the Cantina, but that's more a cool accessory to me, than a figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 02:09 AM »
I agree, the Jawa with Treadwell droid is most likely the best modern Jawa.  All my modern Jawas have a shelf in my collection (shared with the Sand People).

The vintage Jawa was the first with soft goods...and I always liked that one (of course I lost mine when I was a kid).
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 02:35 AM »
I love the new ones, but he vintage one is still the best.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 05:48 AM »
For me it's a toss up between the guy you picked and the soft goods version.

When the sculpt with the LIN droid came out, I went nuts and bought five. I knew there would be variations further down the line, but I just couldn't seem to wait.

The two packs with the droids have been great and if they considered doing more, I would definitely pick them up. Maybe an updated Lars Treadwell or power droid.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:28 AM by Blaster under the pillow »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:51 AM »
This is my absolute favorite SW figure of all time, so I'm glad we're on to him.  Choosing is a modern one is tough, but I think the Treadwell one is right on.  That's the one I have in my HOF shelf of modern stuff, hanging out with EB Chewie and the like.  I still think the POTF2 and especially the OTC repaints are good figures.  I also still like the Ronto one for some reason.

I would like to see Hasbro go whole hog on a soft goods version, but given how some of their other soft goods stuff turns out, I won't mind if they don't.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:39 AM »
I agree Darby, I sort of want them to try a full softgoods Jawa but I really don't think it will turn out swell. 

I also agree Jesse, the gun is sort of way too big but the other 2 also have flaws...the orangy coat while probably accurate doesn't make it very vintage and the mix of softgoods and plastic isn't very asthetic...

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:10 AM »
I'm with you all too. The recent incarnations of the Jawa all are great examples and it's tough to nail down a ranking as each have their own unique benefits. In fact, for me, there really isn't a Jawa sculpt I don't like.

I like the varied heights of the POTF2 versions and the OTC versions markedly improved those sculpts with the great deco. The commtech version has an awesome sculpt as well even with today's SA technologies.

I'd like to see Hasbro take a stab at a fully soft goods version for the nostalgia factor as long as they choose the proper weight fabric, maybe along the lines of the Tsui Choi figure complete with the wire in the hem.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 11:49 AM »
I'm with everyone else here too.  Pretty much all of the modern Jawas (even the POTF2 ones) have been pretty well done, and we've really got a nice variety on the shelf now.  I'd go with the Legacy/Treadwell version as well, although the others are pretty nice as well.  As already stated, attempting an entirely cloth version would be about the only other way to go at this point.  Big fan of the modern Jawa figures though, and have a tough time not picking more up each time I find them.  I always thought the vintage version was pretty well done too.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 12:34 PM »
I'll join in on the Jawa love-in here, too. Jawas have always been a favorite of mine too, I wore a Jawa costume for Halloween in '79 (kindergarden). Please Scott, add a picture of the Vintage Jawa without the robe...it's a shame to cover up all the sculpted goodness under there.

I got my first Jawa as the last of the original 12 back in '78, of course it was the cloth robe version. On the bonus side, I was able to talk my mom into getting one for my little brother too, since they were so hard to find. So I already had the collector mentality at 4. Those original jawas also stood in for children when I would play as a child.

I was very pleased with the POTF2 two-packs, I bought them every time I saw one, resulting in having more of those than any other figure by far. Over the years I've given some away to nephews or others.

I loved that the Ronto jawa was another new sculpt. I wound up with a couple of those, too.

The Commtech version has to be my favorite. The sculpt is just perfect IMO. To my eye its a work of art the likes of which come along very rarely in the toy line. I have a customized one that wears a shorter robe to show off his spindly little legs (Not because I needed to have that, but I used the longer robe/skirt for another custom, so I sort of wound up with a leggy jawa.)

The OTC ones were a real nice upgrade, and a two-pack of jawas is always alright by me. I picked up a few of those too.

The 30AC version really won me over for simply the fact that it was a well-articualted jawa without a light-up panel on the hood, plus I was impressed they went to the trouble of making a movie-accurate variant (ie the orange-vest jawa.) I was able to do away with my custom "short POTF2 jawa with JarJar's vest" version. I got two to have a non-vested version as well.

The Legacy version, however, just hasn't rubbed me the right way at all. The rehashing of the 30AC one is fine and kind of expected, but the new belt plus the brown vest plus the ion blaster just added too much bulk and really detracted from the figure. And that's not even getting into the scale of the pack-in droid. The first time I didn't want a second of a jawa.

I don't yet have the Legacy soft goods version. It looks to take care of some of the bulk issue, but then again, it's a cloth bottom robe so I'm not expecting much.

An "honorable mention" ought to go out to the Hallmark "Jawa & R2" ornament which fits in well with my jawa figure display, and the Clone Wars Jawa two-pack, which add some diversity too. That makes for, what, 13 different Jawa sculpts so far? Not too shabby for the little guys...

My pick for the "ultimate" modern jawa so far still goes to the CommTech version. One of my favorite figure sculpts ever.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 02:48 PM »
The vintage one is one of only two vintage figures I think works well (or at least passable) with the modern line. The other being Wicket.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 04:28 PM »
Its so funny to me, that I don't really care about Jawas.  However, everytime a new sculpt comes out, I buy it just to flesh out my already full Jabba's Palace Court.  I even threw the Clone Wars ones in there, just to be funny.  I figure those things would be everywhere - I mean, heck, we see 3 or 4 of them in the palace anyway, I figure they just chill out wherever they find some space.

I'd love a fully soft goods one, especially if they cover the cloak with the bandoleer to hold the fabric down.  I almost am undecided, however, on if I want the whole hood cloth, sculpted (with the soft goods underneath it), or if I would want a double hood (like the vintage one).  Heck, make all 3 Hasbro - put em with different droids and you know we'll grab em!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 07:54 PM »
Scott's Jawa has me thinking about Yoda...  He's similar in that people's opinions on "the best" varies.  Some feel the Flashback has the best headsculpt.  Others hate the VOTC but yet others love it (myself included).  Then there's the OTC one which has the sculpted aesthetics people like, but little to no poseability.

It's kind of like the Jawa to me...  You can't really have one, and I doubt Hasbro ever makes a definitive one that appeals to everyone.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 08:01 PM »
When they make one with truly glowing eyes and authentic Jawa stank, then we'll have a definitive Jawa.
Post sober.