Author Topic: Death Squad Commander  (Read 18438 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Death Squad Commander
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:29 AM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern
30th Anniversary Death Star Trooper

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:43 AM by Scott »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Death Squad Commander
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 01:33 AM »
This is probably our first "sort of"

Yeah they've done a couple of Death Star/Star Destroyer/Imperial Navy Officers.  The controversy lies in the color of the tunic of the Commander in the vintage line

If you look at the still shots...I could see where or how Kenner got it wrong.  It probably is black but the photos make it look grey/olive.  That being said...I can also see how the picture does show grey/olive and that is what it is...

ANyway...it is a super easy custom/retool to make this and it really isn't out of the realm of possibilities to have it come eventually.  To me it is done but to others, they want this:

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:37 AM by Scott »

Offline Twnbrother

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:33 AM »
The Death Squad Commander was one of my favorite figures from the orignal line.  A better quick custom is to use the Legacy Captain Needa as the base figure.  I'm hoping to see an eventual repaint in the new vintage line.

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:52 AM »
I know Hasbro isn't really seeming like this is a top priority, but lets face it - all they have to do is repaint the body gray?  They can easily slot this into the line during one of their "We messed up with scheduling, so we're gonna give you a full case of repaints" waves.  Its perfect for the case assortment where we'll get probably a hologram figure, a repaint imperial (probably this one), a new deco E2 and/or E3 clone, some type of alien repaint (possibly cantina alien or a Jawa like Dathcha or Het Nkik, etc) and something else cool that is just a repaint of something we already have.   I do see this as a more than likely piece to show up during this new vintage line, as it really does make sense. 

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Ok first off a great big thanks to Scott for doing this new feature here at JD.com. 

That being said.... If I had some sort of site owner line item veto I would say that the Death Squad Commander has NOT been done yet in the modern line. 

As well as the color being wrong, the boots on the current figure are 100% wrong for ANH. The current figure is wearing riding/officer boots, while the Vintage figure and guards in the Detention Block were wearing a lower "Jack" type boot.  They are lower cut and looser at the top.

Yes I am picking nits. Now the current figure is perfect for the ESB look the Naval Fleet Troops had so it is not incorrect for all of the Trilogy but for the modern take on the vintage figure, yes.

He should also come with the "rebel blaster pistol" instead of a stromtrooper blaster. 

This is my version of JJs Rebel Fleet Trooper tirade.   

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 02:53 PM »
I think the Indiana Jones Irina Spalko matches the vintage DSC more than anything. :P

But I agree, there hasn't been a "modern" Death Squad Commander yet. Bet we get one around the same time we get a new, perfect RFT...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 03:44 PM »
If Kenner wanted to make the black version all those years ago why didn't they just pick stills from the detention block scenes?  Unless this all they got from Lucasfilm at the time?  Anyway, I am sort of in the camp that feels that the "Death Squad Commander" has not been remade yet.  However, I would be fine with them just repainting the 30th annv, version grey.  I did it already but would like an official release. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Is that a glass eye ???  Heck - even Kenner had better eye apps 30 years ago.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 06:56 PM »
Put me into the camp that feels this figure isn't done, and that there's no clear proof for or against the existance of this guy in grey.

He is in the command center-ish area with Tarkin, Motti, Vader, and Bast, he is working a spiffy little console, and so I think it stands to reason that the character exists.  I've seen a few different shots of that scene, and to me they all look grey, and kind of like Hoth Han, Kenner should've gotten something from LFL on this and the color matches.

Anyway, regardless, that puts me in the "He ain't done yet" camp I guess.  I 'd like an official one from Hasbro that came out under a different name obviously (Death Star Trooper, or perhaps Death Star Officer?), and call it a day.  I'm with Paul though, in that I'd like an improved sculpt.  The 30AC figure, to me, is a decent army builder, but it has flaws....

-bulky shoulder joints
-bulky knee joints, though this could be argued as the pants bulking up at the point they are going into the boots too
-Akwardly tall.  This guy's a giant compared to most (I actually cut my troopers short at the boots and redrill the hole for the ankles, which fixes the boots somewhat, and also shortens the trooper)
-Wide stance...  fixable on the current figure, but annoying nonetheless.

Also I'd say I want a new headsculpt that features the headphones or includes them as an accessory, or as part of the helmet or something.

Do you include the rank badge?  The character in the movie doesn't have it, but the Vintage figure did. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 07:37 PM »
Although I'd like one in Grey....I haven't lost any sleep over there not being one.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 09:12 PM »
I'd be OK with a vintage decoed rerelease and it should be a piece of cake by reuse of the Officer buck with new head and helmet.

I'd also go with badge, while not accurate if you are going to go homage you might as well go all out

And...I am with Nick from another thread where we have discussed this before.  The overhead lighting etc makes that black uni totally washed out.  None of the other DSTs wore grey so why would the turret guy?  If anything...he is in a Tarkinesque olive uni over the grey ones which really didn't appear until ESB

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:57 PM »
A feature for both the commander and the trooper is the utility belt (black and chrome).
I hope someday I could buy a vintage dsc, meanwhile think in improving my collection.

Online Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 12:09 AM »
For whatever reason, as a kid I called this guy a "squat commander." My first one's neck post broke in '79, and I remember writing to Kenner to complain and ask for a replacement. They sent me a brand new one, as well as a whole set of replacement weapons and capes for all the figures...it even came with four X-Wing guns, which were real cool because I didn't own an X-Wing yet!

I consider this figure 100% done. The color was wrong on the vintage, end of story to me. I always assumed he was grey with a rank badge because up until the last minute it was actually going to be a Tarkin figure, when they realized he was a boring old man who never even used a weapon, and made him a new head.

I kind of enjoy the kitsch of the POTF2 disco-dancing version as well.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 01:04 AM »
I'd agree that I think it's very likely/possible that the image is just washed out, but at the same time there were a lot of unique uniform variants in ANH and ESB that were intentional by the advisor on set...  Check out the Yavin Ceremony for some crazy variations in uniforms, yet which seem intentionally done since they're organized fairly specifically.

But I totally think it's just as possible that it's black too...  Still, the cut seems a little different from the tunics the Naval Troopers were wearing, and more like what some of the grey-green uniforms were cut for background officers, and only seen in that color.  Food for thought there too.

Standing in the console doesn't mean anything of course, but why give him a headset too?  What's the point from a production standpoint if you just wanted him to be any one of the other random DST extras?  It's barely even noticeable in most any scene.  So little subtle things were done, for one reason or another.

That said though, I'm not totally against an Imp Officer body like maybe the upcoming AT-AT Commander being the basis for this figure, but I'd kind of dig something more accurate too.  A new DST figure, while unlikely, would be cool to get since the 30AC figure has some pretty glaring flaws to many.  I don't mind him, but I seem to be in the minority on that too.   :-\  A new one improving the things I mentioned would be kind of cool then, and then a grey deco with badge or whatever.

I'd probably be just as happy with a grey-ish redeco of the 30AC figure though, I just know it won't stack up for a LOT of people though because they dislike that figure in general. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 01:12 AM »
I'm also in the camp that feels this figure hasn't been redone yet, which is kind of a shame since he's the last hold-out from the original 12 figures.

If all these years later, regardless of the fact that Han Solo's Hoth Gear jacket was actually brown, we can still get both a hood-up and a hood-down version of Hoth Han Solo with a blue jacket, I think it should be a no brainer that we get a Death Squad/Star Commander figure in a gray uniform.

Personally, I understand the arguments that the original outfit may have been black or even the dark olive color, but right or wrong, the fact is that the original Kenner figure was gray.

I also know that folks don't like the bulky joints on the modern Death Star Trooper we got in the TAC, but if Hasbro is feeling less than eager to give us a new sculpt, I would be totally okay with them repainting this figure both in gray and dark olive just so we have all possible versions covered and this character/figure from the Vintage line can finally be crossed-off the "not done yet" list.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!