Author Topic: Target "Attack on/Defense of Hoth" Big BPs  (Read 81158 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Target "Attack on/Defense of Hoth" Big BPs
« Reply #165 on: December 2, 2010, 02:13 PM »
After all, Imaginext appears to be doing just fine with their playsets...

Re: 'Imaginext'

It is sort of funny how "kids don't like playsets" yet my house is littered with an Imaginext Batcave, Joker's Funhouse, Dragon Castle, Moon Base, Sea Monster Island, Fire House, etc.  Not to mention all the LEGOs, which are essentially playsets you build yourself.  :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 2, 2010, 02:51 PM »
Same here... my son has several of those playsets too... when we go to the store, he is always fascinated with them.

Another thing, I don't get why Hasbro doesn't release some kid geared playsets in the Galactic Heroes line?  My son uses his little Star Wars guys (some I bought from you, ha ha) and Joe/Cobras on those Imaginext playsets.  But if he had a Galactic Heroes Death Star or that scale Cobra Terror Drome or something... he'd be one happy camper.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 2, 2010, 06:22 PM »
The playsets of the past 15 years have been half-hearted to be kind. Some because they were movie-release cash grabs and shoehorned into a specific price point.

The only 3 3/4" playsets worth a darn in the past 10 years were vintage GI JOE reissues or Power Team Elite, a 3 3/4" military line found seasonaly at Big Lots and JC Penny online.
Battlefield Playset

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #168 on: December 2, 2010, 08:05 PM »
The POwer Team Elite stuff is mind-numbing...  It's usually lacking paint applications, and it's usually very simplistic (and cuts corners by making incredibly thin walls and such).  But it's really some of the cooler stuff from a collector's POV.  It sells well, but I wonder who's buying it sometimes.  Is it adults buying it for GI Joes and stuff?  Just by what goes fastest with it, I sometimes just assume it's the adults. 

For instance the figure 3-packs sell one out above any other, and it seemst o be due to the accessory it comes with.  The buildings and bridge sets tend to go quickly too.  Also the Chinese tank flew off shelves this year, as did the AFV, but things like Humvees and such didn't go so fast.  It's kind of weird how well PTE sells though.

Part of me thinks Hasbro would reply that, while "half-hearted" to collectors, they feel they put a lot of thought into their playsets in design and execution, and that they cost a pretty penny to produce.  I think a happy medium can be struck, and I think Hasbro could/should look at other options (and according to all I've ever been told, they are constantly looking at how they can do stuff).  I just don't know that collectors needs and kid-needs, will ever be met on the playset world, to get things done.  Short of it going to a company to take over anyway, and produce in limited quantity for a premium price, ala Sideshow (which would pretty much eliminate the kid-market, of course).

Hasbro doesn't show signs of wanting to let any of the 3.75" line go to anyone else though.

Clone Wars seemed like such an ideal time to try something new though, and they didn't even try.  Unless you count the big vehicles, of course.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #169 on: December 2, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Are these Hoth packs still out? I went to Target a few times and haven't seen them.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #170 on: December 2, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Yeah, they're around if you look, but they're largely gone from my area too Lando...  I see only Rebel sets too.  All the Imperial ones are long gone anywhere that I ever visit.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 3, 2010, 10:17 AM »
That's fine, I'm only really looking for the rebel ones.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 3, 2010, 10:57 AM »
Sort of taking this off topic again...but regarding playsets, I think our next (and only) chance at possibly getting something is with the 3D re-releases.  I think Hasbro mentioned something (when discussing TPM's 3D release starting in 2012) that it is possible it is a time to try something "new" or something to that effect.  I could maybe....maybe....see them trying a playset (like the Death Star) when Star Wars hits theaters in 2015.  They seem to at least like to do one "big" item each year, and I think...as we've discussed here....the options might be getting lower for some of the vehicles that would realistically be done.  Sure, there are always more big vehicles, but not necessarily ones Hasbro would make.  I think if we get any playset, particularly a non-CW one, the Death Star probably stands the best chance with all the rumors and prototype stuff we've seen discussed over the years.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 3, 2010, 03:50 PM »
The POwer Team Elite stuff is mind-numbing...  It's usually lacking paint applications, and it's usually very simplistic (and cuts corners by making incredibly thin walls and such).  But it's really some of the cooler stuff from a collector's POV.  It sells well, but I wonder who's buying it sometimes.  Is it adults buying it for GI Joes and stuff?  Just by what goes fastest with it, I sometimes just assume it's the adults. 

Just adults? I don't think so. It sells out at the local Big Lots for the most part (Unless they ship a lot back?). I think you have  1:18th military people, who buy it to customize. Then there's 3 3/4" Joe fans who do the same but aren't realism junkies. And there is, and has been, a market for lower cost military toys aimed at kids and their parents, despite all the licensed properties out there (look at TRU's generically boxed army toys section). It's not a huge market, which is why Power Team and the Chap Mei Soldier Force aren't at major retailers regularly (and why Hasbro's venerable GI JOE is destined to be a b-list property unless it has a popular media support), but it's enough that some companies keep going with it.

I forgot about Chap Mei and their lines, they do 3 3/4" playset stuff, but their stuff is hard to find in the USA. Just bits here and there at TRU and BIG LOTS. 

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #174 on: December 8, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Yeah, they're around if you look, but they're largely gone from my area too Lando...  I see only Rebel sets too.  All the Imperial ones are long gone anywhere that I ever visit.

I have been seeing this as well , if fact they are all but gone. I bit on another set today since it's so hard to find that one, I even grabbed another Rebel one since $35 is a very good price. I really like the clean snowies and the AT-ST driver so I really wanted to load up on those sets I stopped at 6 but this 7th set was a bit of an indulgence as I been so careful with my money. If they ever release the AT-ST driver again I hope they correct the visor/helmet issue. Not sure if this was ever covered here but it's worth noting that the previous AT-ST helmets fit well on the new one:

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #175 on: December 8, 2010, 07:55 PM »
I have a feeling we'll see the AT-ST pilot again someday.  I want to army build him bigtime since that's essentially an Imperial Army Trooper.  I can totally see myself modding Sandtrooper backpacks for him, maybe giving him some AT-AT Commander armor even, with the ranks modded appropriately.  Then they just need some good footsoldier hardware and you've got yourself an Imperial Soldier ready to roll into battle (safely behind Stormtroopers because they're pussies, of course).

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 8, 2010, 09:42 PM »
I Then they just need some good footsoldier hardware and you've got yourself an Imperial Soldier ready to roll into battle (safely behind Stormtroopers because they're pussies, of course).

Yet, taller and stronger looking (at least going by jackoftradze's photo).

Anyway, if some guys were cloned to fight and die for the Empire, wouldn't you let them go in first?  ;)

Oh, yeah, the Hoth Attack/Defense sets are $35 again (or did they ever bo back up?), of course, locally all I see are Defense sets.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #177 on: December 8, 2010, 09:46 PM »

Anyway, if some guys were cloned to fight and die for the Empire, wouldn't you let them go in first?  ;)

I don't know what movies you were watching, but this ain't the Clone Wars. :)  I'm talking OT when troops were individuals, and only the die-hard supporters of the new-order were willing to freely sacrifice themselves as the first to rush into the battle.

These Clones you speak of are ancient history by that point.  :P

Right Paul?
« Last Edit: December 8, 2010, 09:47 PM by Jesse James »

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2010, 03:07 PM »
I wanted to pick up one more Defense set to have 8/8 but they were sold out. I will have to try another Target, these are on sale for $34.99 until the 18th.

If you have been holding out I do not think you will find these any cheaper if at all. I loved these sets, I really hope we see more of these sets next year. Focus on Endor now:

Assault on Endor
x2 New Sculpt Speederbikes
x2 Scouts
New Imperial Office SA
Redecoed POTF2 Bunker
(Throw in that nifty Ewok Log for ***** and giggles)

Defense of Endor
Endor Dirt AT-ST
Chewbacca
Oochee and Widdle
AT-ST Driver to Toss
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2010, 05:09 PM »
That would be awesome! I would definitely buy several of those.