Author Topic: Hammerhead  (Read 17588 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Hammerhead
« on: April 28, 2010, 11:55 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern
Saga Collection Mamow Nadon

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Hammerhead
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:10 AM »
One of the very few remaining Vintage figures I still have in my collection.  He's in suprisingly good shape and still has his gun!  For some reason, I loved Hammerhead as a kid.  I always pretended his head was a super weapon and could club Rebels left and right.

I hated what the EU did to his character though...to me he was always always a bad guy.  He had a bad guy gun and he clubbed baby Rebels.  He wasn't some peacenik hippy...he was Hammerhead

Also, EU can also take a flying leap by giving him a name...his name is Hammerhead.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:43 AM »
I always pretended his head was a super weapon and could club Rebels left and right.

:D  I did the same general thing with him...  He was Hammerhead, so he hammered people with his head...  That's what he did.  That's what his head was for.  That was how he used it.  He f'd people up.

Hammerhead today is a figure I'd totally take another resculpt on...  I was disappointed with the Saga Hammerhead in that he lacked anything but the basic 6 points of articulation.  Despite a fantastic sculpt, the separate hood, a cool staff, a glass of brew, and a dandy paintjob...  I still couldn't get too into him because he lacked at the very least knee articulation.  He's sitting in the Cantina afterall.

What I thought was cool though, was that he made POTF2 and the retooled Cantina Bar Hammerheads almost new/unique figures completely.  They look so wildly different that they really make for cool extra Ithorians.

I too hate the EU on Ithorians, and ignore it...  because I can! :)  So to me they're like everyone else.  Maybe at their core on their own planet they're generlaly good, but there's pricks in their species like everyone else, and so some walk around blasting people, being pirates, and pooping in closets.

I'd take a new sculpt of this figure, or instead, a retool of poseable legs and maybe some arms that can do more than move up and down.  I'd be ok with just added knees though ultimately.  This one is a figure I'd like a resclupt on.  Give him a chair too.  The man needs a chair for God's sake.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:30 AM »
tsc momaw nadon looks like the definitive Hammerhead
but the vintage one is cool enough for collecting.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:28 PM by EpicGon »

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:12 AM »
See, I for one don't mind the ithorians - like Jesse said - there's bad apples in every bunch.  Need proof? Two words - Moomo brothers.  They may have been bumbling, but they were definitely (in their own minds, at least) BA Bounty Hunters.  In fact, I kinda want to make customs of them now.   To me, the peaceful part of Momaw Nadon reflects what I see in the Cantina.  He's not beating people up (though I have no doubt he could), he's just chillin, havin a Bud.  That works for me.

As for the sculpt, yeah, I like the Saga Momaw, I just wish he could sit.  I honestly hope Hasbro does some remodeling to his knees, maybe for a battle pack of cantina patrons we don't have yet, or something with tables, chairs, and the still (center) part of the bar.   Honestly, how hard can it be to connect some piping to a bunch of repainted IG88 Heads?  Maybe even give us the droid detector for the bar, since the first one came with the Wuher, and probably won't be coming with the updated one (wasn't there a rumor he was going to be updated soon?).

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:42 AM »
My second favorite Star Wars figure.   :)

I loved Hammerhead as a kid.  Loved him.  Still do.  I really like the TSC sculpt, but I agree the lack of articulation hurts him.  I'll live without it, but I'd be ok if they updated him a little.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:50 AM »
One of the very few remaining Vintage figures I still have in my collection.  He's in suprisingly good shape and still has his gun!  For some reason, I loved Hammerhead as a kid.  I always pretended his head was a super weapon and could club Rebels left and right.

I hated what the EU did to his character though...to me he was always always a bad guy.  He had a bad guy gun and he clubbed baby Rebels.  He wasn't some peacenik hippy...he was Hammerhead

Also, EU can also take a flying leap by giving him a name...his name is Hammerhead.

This is pretty much my feelings on Hammerhead, word for word.  Always one of my favorite figures, and favorite Cantina alien as a kid and today.  I always pictured him as a "baddie" as well in my youth, and he'll always be Hammerhead to me too - none of that Momaw Nadon nonsense.  I feel that way about the majority of those names for the Cantina denizens.  I can understand it to a point, but almost prefer the generic/vintage names better.

Like others, I thought the sculpt on the TSC version was pretty nicely done - and in general, I'm happy with that figure.  However, the articulation is pretty lacking, and although it doesn't necessarily need to be to clonetrooper levels, improvements could be made there.  I'd definitely be down for a new one if we see it, but if not, the one we have isn't too bad either.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 03:38 PM »

Not to mention those shifty eyes....

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 07:32 PM »
One of my favorite Vintage figures.  I got him for Christmas along with the Deathstar....he would swing across the open bridge as well.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:59 PM »
Ahh... Hammerhead. Gotta love the artistic license taken with the Kenner figure... no wonder he's so veiny, he's wearing a infant's onesie!  :D

I distinctly recall playing in the bathtub with him or having him stand in for one of the bounty hunters I didn't have at the time. I always, and still, consider him a bad guy. EU be damned.  ;)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 11:09 PM »
Yeah, Hammerhead figured into my stories as a kid...probably because of all the Cantina aliens they gave us, he was the freakiest-looking with the tiniest bit of screen time and therefore I could do what I wanted with him. He was always a bad guy...heck every alien was a bad guy (Out of turn, I'll admit to getting my mail-in Admiral Ackbar with his funny stick and immediately having him sword-fight with Luke Skywalker and try to destroy the Rebels.)

I really like the Saga2 Hammerhead and won't be seeking out an update...they would probably screw up a more articulated version with poofy cloth robes or something. Bah! The further along we get in this the more I detest "soft goods." As Jesse said though, I can't knock the Cantina Bar version or the original POTF2 version (with his outlandish pacifist's BFG,) both are solid figures in their own right, if not as authentic as the most recent release. No stinker here!

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 11:08 AM »

Preach on, brother!  All the cantina aliens were bad guys.  That's the way it should be.  And they can shove the PC names they were given later on, they already have names.  Hammerhead, Snaggle Tooth, Squid Head etc.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 07:26 PM »
Preach on, brother!  All the cantina aliens were bad guys.  That's the way it should be.  And they can shove the PC names they were given later on, they already have names.  Hammerhead, Snaggle Tooth, Squid Head etc.

PC? Because they were afraid of offending walruses and squids?

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 11:46 PM »
ROFL

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 2, 2010, 05:07 PM »

I too hate the EU on Ithorians....

You acknowledge the species' name then?  :P  ;)

The TSC figure is indeed the best so far, and frankly I don't really need a more articulated one. Hammerhead looks like a slow moving guy and so does the vintage figure. Personally I think it's one of the funniest figures, because of his eyes! Always looking to the side, as if he's a very paranoid kinda guy  ;D

Back on the name calling: yeah, these guys already had names and we don't need things like Momaw Nadon.