Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149515 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #210 on: November 15, 2010, 07:22 AM »
A couple of the Jabba head looked to be modeled after concept art for ANH and ROTJ Jabba as well.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2010, 09:53 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyable episode on most accounts, for sure. LOVED seeing the Hutt homeworld. (Anyone catch the proper spelling?) It was exactly like what I would have envisioned.

Vos came across as pretty cool, admittedly I knew practically nothing about the guy, but they seemed to pull him off pretty well. I thought it was cool that he had a mastery of psychometry, as this is a talent we have never seen associated with the force before, to my knowledge. Where was his funky snowboard though?

Was there any reference to Ziro's father? Is he dead? The Mother was an absolute abomination, thoroughly disgusting..the creeping parasites were over the top! I'm already sad we will never get that as a figure.

Was really surprised they offed Ziro. Hasbro now has a convenient excuse NOT to make this guy, although it seems everyone wants him. Then again, it didn't stop them from making Echo, or whoever the clone was that Bane killed. It's such an easy repaint too...c'mon!

What I didn't like? More of the same that had bugged me previously.

1) Cad Bane should not be able to hold his own against 2 Jedi, PERIOD. I don't care what kind of funky weaponry or little tricks he whips out, he should have been carved up in about 10 seconds. Darth Maul was insanely more of a bad-ass and he couldn't fend off 2 Jedi. Jango went down like a house of cards. Even Dooku bit the big one going up against 2 Jedi (ok, not at first, but by the next movie). I get that they want to pump Bane up and make him seem all invincible, but they really go overboard IMO.

2) Voices, voices, voices. I guess they are just never going to give up giving ethnically, culturally inappropriate voices to characters in Star Wars, no matter how outlandish or offensive they come off. I really think this is the worst of the franchise...it's cheap and tacky. ALL the other Hutts speak Huttese, but they decide to have the mother speak English?!?! With the voice of a 300 pound black woman? Seriously? And they go out of their way to give Ziro the most effeminately gay voice possible, but then we're supposed to believe he had some relationship with an alien female? Yeah, right...real ladies man there.  They just need to stop lifting accents from Planet Earth, and maybe work on creating some actually innovative linguistic patterns. Just drives me crazy for some reason. Jewish Watto, Asian Gunray, Jamaican Jar-Jar? Let it end!!!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2010, 04:47 PM »
I disagree on Bane not holding his own against Jedi...  If he couldn't, what threat is he?  What's the point of the character.

Star Wars has established through the films that some guys can, and some guys can't.  Zam Wessel, for instance, couldn't.  She just ran and couldn't get away even.  Jango, however, could hold his own against Obi-Wan pretty well...  And the Arena was outside circumstances that probably did him in.

Also it established that the "gadgets" are, at least at times, the equalizers for the truly good Bounty Hunters...  Cad Bane seems to fall under the Jango classification, and not the Zam one.  He's able to make his escape and defend himself well enough...

When he picked up Vos' saber though, they even made sure to show how quickly he COULDN"T keep up.  He lost it on the first strike.  He also was losing pretty badly, he just managed to get that shocking thing going, which seems to be a neat little anti-Jedi trick on his gauntlets...  He really wasn't doing well though, and just wanted to escape.  He managed to, but not by much. 

I really felt that was JUSt the right ammount of Bane holding his own with the Jedi. 

Against a weak Jedi, he'd maybe off them.  Against Kenobi he can at least get away.  Against maybe Mace Windu...  his head may be rolling around the floor too then?

Qui-Gon said of Jedi being invincible, "I wish that were true".
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2010, 07:24 PM »
I'm glad Bane lost the lightsaber pretty quickly. Just like Cato did in the Season 2 premiere. As soon as I saw that clip in the Season 3 trailer I was already rolling my eyes.

Did they Vos justice, which I'm glad of. I wonder how Hasbro thought of a jetboard for the figure. But at least it's an extra accessory.

"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2010, 07:37 PM »
My guess is that we'll see more of Vos with hoverboard in tow. Or it will be just one of those things that Hasbro produced based on preproduction art only for it to have ended on the cutting room floor.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2010, 01:33 PM »
I'm a little late, but I really enjoyed "Hunt for Ziro" as well.  All the Hutts were weird and cool, and I liked the Sy Snootles/OT tie there as well.  Also, put me down for hoping we get some Gamorrean Guards in the Clone Wars line as well now :).  I thought Vos was pretty cool too, and I hope we get more episodes like this going forward.  Enough poisoned tea and political intrigue, more lightsaberin' and warrin'.  The last two have both been winners though.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2010, 03:47 PM »
Enough poisoned tea and political intrigue, more lightsaberin' and warrin'.  The last two have both been winners though.

Amen to that brother!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 17, 2010, 12:56 AM »
As it turns out, everyone's getting a new costume look. And Ahsoka's getting 2 lightsabers now! That part surprised me a bit.

I'm expecting to see a figure based off of every one of these outfits soon, Hasbro. :D I wonder why Obi-Wan is the first, wouldn't it make more sense just to include them all in the same wave?
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 17, 2010, 11:06 AM »
Saw that too...I honestly don't see any difference in Anakin's costume, but whateves. Wish they had shown Asajj 2.0 as well.

Are Ahsoka's lightsabers the same length or is there one long one and one short one? That would be kinda cool if they were really different lengths.

On a related note, that WIRED article about this topic that RS has linked on their front page is utterly asinine. There is nothing remotely inappropriate about Ahsoka's current costume, no one thinks that tube top is too sexy or revealing. She's like 14 for cripe's sake! If you're getting aroused by THAT, the problem is on you, not the animators.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Saw that too...I honestly don't see any difference in Anakin's costume, but whateves.

Are Ahsoka's lightsabers the same length or is there one long one and one short one? That would be kinda cool if they were really different lengths.

The most obvious change is the omission of the shoulder and upper torso armor plating.

If you watch the video, you'll see they are clearly 2 different lengths  ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:31 PM by Jayson »

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 17, 2010, 09:15 PM »
Wow, I wonder why the went with 2 different saber lengths for Ahsoka. It's cool, though, I guess, because I was wondering why they would give her an extra saber so suddenly in the first place.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 19, 2010, 10:06 PM »
Crap, all that hype and we never even got to see her new sabers! Love the new look on Ahsoka though, that will make for one spiffy new figure.

I wonder how hard it would actually be to produce those transforming Infiltrator Droids in the animated line. Because those would make for a pretty slick BattlePack.

Can't even comment on the stories anymore...bank de-regulations? Seriously? They absolutely have to be screwing with us intentionally with this stuff.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #222 on: November 19, 2010, 10:12 PM »
Another weekly Clone Wars suck fest. This is making TPM look good.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #223 on: November 20, 2010, 10:44 AM »
I have to (oddly) disagree with last night.  I thought compared to the other political/Mandolorian episodes this season it was well written and pretty complex for kids.  The problem is it comes on the heels of all this other boring junk.  If this had been the only one of this kind of story (and really it should be, the series is repeating itself) I think the reaction to it would be kinder.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 20, 2010, 11:02 AM »
Yeah, another bit of a snoozer last night.  I do agree with Darby though, it wasn't necessarily a bad episode if it was the only one like this of the season.  Then I don't think you'd see nearly as many complaints.  The problem is, half of the season seems to be stuff like this.  I was going through our DVR and looking at the CW episodes on there, and instead of saving them all to watch again I was going through and thinking "do I really need to watch this one again?".  There are some episodes I really enjoyed - just as much as previous seasons - but a lot of boring type stuff this year it seems.  As a side note, I like the new look for Ahsoka/Anakin.