Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149417 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #225 on: November 20, 2010, 01:46 PM »
On a related note, that WIRED article about this topic that RS has linked on their front page is utterly asinine.

The article didn't mention it's not just a costume change, she's aged, her lekku are longer. Maybe she's grown taller (?) too.

In 2 weeks on The Padme Show, her life is in danger and another vote fails. Seriously, this is getting absurd. They aren't gonna make senate Padme, Bail Organa or Lott Dodd (the main villain for this season! HA!) action figures.

I liked the power generator room massacre. What a battle pack that would be. It would never happen.

The Seperatists have a parliment?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #226 on: November 20, 2010, 01:49 PM »
I like the new looks too.  Just throwing them out there in the middle of a season, especially in such a humdrum episode, seems odd.  The stragtegy this year so far seems to really be on fleshing out backstories to episodes we've already seen, as well as trying to paint a deeper picture of the war.  You have to admire that, considering that's it's a cartoon.  The episode last night, as with the Kamino episodes, paint the war and the Republic in fairly negative light.  the problem is that the writing is too often repetitive and clumsy.  Say what you want to say, but say it and then don't keep repeating it (literally = "Corruption!").  Let's see it and let's see some variety.  

Next week (or 2 weeks I guess) continues this strategy, apparently linking up Senate Murders.  One hopes after Darth Maul: The Sequel, there's no looking back.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 20, 2010, 03:00 PM »
I think part of the reason for these otherwise dull episodes is to show that the Republic isn't 100% good. I mean, think back to Seasons 1 and 2. How many times have the Separatists won a battle? In fact, the Republic was always the top-dog and always got the praise in the end. But the crew is trying to do the opposite in a bad, unengaging way.

I didn't think this episode was ALL bad, but this material is making me doubt if I really want to buy the DVD when it comes out - probably only for the Savage episodes.

And did anyone else notice that little hint at romance between Ahsoka and that other kid? What a great way to mature her character! She's defnitely a reflection of Anakin's personality!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 20, 2010, 04:20 PM »
Here's a preview for the next episode, titled "Pursuit of Peace" - featuring senators doing what they do best! Politics! :-[

A political episode in which someone tries to kill Padme? We've never seen an episode like that before... ::)
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 21, 2010, 11:54 AM »
I rather liked this past episode in the sense that it explored "the other side" of the conflict and that is something that this show and the Star Wars saga in general really never delved into.  Even in the original films, everything is portrayed in black-and-white terms (good guys on one side, bad guys on the other) while in any conflict that is never the case.  (Any academic historian of good repute will tell you that, lol.) 

There are good honest beings fighting for the Separatist cause, just as there are for the Republic.  This episode seemed to handle that fact in a simple and touching manner, yet still highlight the deviousness of the Sith in playing everyone off against one another to achieve their ultimate aim of control.  There may not have been any lightsaber fights or space battles, but I still found this episode entertaining, even if on a mature level.

I also like the ROTS-style Anakin more mature-looking Asoka ;)
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #230 on: November 22, 2010, 02:02 AM »
I agree, and I really enjoyed this Friday's episode...  I really disagree with the negative sentiments towards it. 

I thought there was a bit of action, and the political storyline directly involved the war, in a major way.  I found it interesting too that Padme basically signed her friend's death sentence too it seemed.  But yeah, I thought there was a little action there, some intrigue, and interesting new characters and exploration of the opposing POV. 

I liked the droids they introduced a lot.  They'd make interesting toys, especially if they had any remote possibility of "transforming" too.

Either way though, I thought it was a really great episode...  Had they limited the previous politic-based episodes to one, and added this one on at the end of it (that Mandalore story-arc was just attrocious), they'd have done a lot better I think.

Didn't catch next preview so I'll have to watch it, but for Friday's, I was actually pleasantly surprised.  Maybe I just anticipated something sub-par?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #231 on: November 22, 2010, 10:43 AM »
I too am on the like it side...but I think a lot of the griping is warranted.  But, please note that there is only so many stories to tell about this time period without affecting the movie continuity (Anakin's Padawan withstanding)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 22, 2010, 04:32 PM »
I think there are plenty of "gaps" they could continue to fill in for several seasons. They haven't even touched on the early construction of the Death Star...they would be a fascinating arc, IMO.

And I've still never heard a satisfactory explantion of who Cypher Diaz is or how the heck that fits into the whole backstory.

And how about a prequel glimpse at a young Han Solo? They could really mine that for fodder.

Lots of interesting stories out there that do not involve Senate debates or Padme in any way. Just sayin'
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #233 on: November 22, 2010, 09:25 PM »
And how about a prequel glimpse at a young Han Solo? They could really mine that for fodder.

I couldn't wish for this any less than I do now.

There'a already an insane ammount of tie-ins...  I like to think Han's nowhere near any of this, living his life, and rather they didn't touch on his whereabouts at all.  If they do, he'll have some run-in with Ahsoka or Anakin, or Padme...  Yeah I can live without all that.

As it is, I wasn't pleased to see Chewbacca so close to Yoda, when all the while he's talking smack on Obi-Wan in A New HOpe as just some kind of crazy old coot (his actual dialogue even has him calling Obi-Wan crazy or whatever...  yet he has Yoda riding on his back in ROTS).

Less OT.  Boba Fett, Sy Snootles, Jabba, Mon Mothma, Greedo...  I'm pretty happy to NOT have more OT squeezed into the series for the simple sake of squeezing OT into the series as nothing short of a fan-wank.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 22, 2010, 10:50 PM »
Ha ha...fair enough, how bout some Grievous backstory then?

Heck, bring back Durge for another go around.

I just think there is so much out there that we don't need the filler we have gotten recently.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 23, 2010, 12:51 AM »
Heck, bring back Durge for another go around.

Kill Cad Bane and make way for Durge! I'm serious!

The show's getting longer and longer, and without Durge, that just makes a long timeframe without his presence. I wonder if he'll be introduced in Season 4 as the next "big threat."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #236 on: November 23, 2010, 02:19 AM »
I'm all for that...  Backstory on Grievous, bring in Durge...  I'd go for either. :)

I don't even think Bane needs offed at all...  He's a merc and all, so he could survive it all and just move on into the future.  I could see Grievous having a little meeting with all the trash they've hired (throw in new guys even, and some oldies but goodies) sending out the "thugs" to the various fronts.  Durge to Muunilist, maybe some other hunters elsewhere to do Jedi killing...  It'd be kind of neat.

I think that Mandalore softdrink storyline was the epitome of lame though, so I agree, but I really thought last week's episode added to the overall story of the Clone Wars.  I was watching the commentary from Filoni and I agreed with his sentiments on last week's episode opening up the thoughts that not everyone is bad, even on the Separatist side.

War's filled with good and evil on both sides...  It's never black and white.  That episode touched on that a little bit.  It went starkly against Lucas' normal routine of "good guys wear white, bad guys wear black", and that it's rarely different to that in Star Wars...  The "reality" (for lack of a better term) is that it is very different to that.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #237 on: November 23, 2010, 09:50 AM »
Cad Bane was initially going to be Durge but George had different ideas:

Filoni regarding Durge:

IGN: The season finale ["Hostage Crisis"] had the great introduction of Cad Bane. How did that character come to be?

Filoni: Well, Henry and I were working on a new bounty hunter. We thought at first maybe we'd bring Durge into the series and we were exploring how that might work or not. And then we decided to go with a totally new guy and I started to do some sketches and Henry had an outline. We talked about it with George and George said, "Well, I have a bounty hunter I'd like to use called Cad Bane." George described this character that was kind of a Lee Van Cleef spin, with a cowboy hat and holsters. I did some quick sketches and talking to [designer] Kilian Plunkett and that's really how Cad Bane got formed. There's always that old west feeling to Star Wars, especially in the cantina and with Han Solo. And I always thought of Boba Fett as kind of your Clint Eastwood type character, so I guess this is the opposite. This is the Lee Van Cleef parallel. It makes for some interesting stories there in the future, when I think of Cad Bane and where he could go as a character.

IGN: When it comes to Durge, do you think at some point you'll revisit him?

Filoni: I don't know. It's hard to say. As we've gone on with this, George seemed to have a ton of his ideas that he wants to see and Durge isn't something that has ever really seemed to be something that's been on his radar, so it's hard to say. Especially now that we have Cad Bane and Aurra Sing. Lately actually, we've tried to create more new characters and new alien races. I mean, originally, we wanted to do Rodians and the Aqualish things that we knew, but then you quickly realize that we have to fill the galaxy with more interesting aliens that we haven't seen before, because otherwise we're using Rodians all of the time. You have to be careful.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:52 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 23, 2010, 12:49 PM »
LOL..."more interesting aliens" = Egyptian Lizard People?

Is Filoni aware there are something like 200 different species in the OT movies alone?

Just in the Cantina scene alone, there are dozens of species who have yet to get any play in the animated realm. If you're running out of ideas already, you're just not trying.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #239 on: November 23, 2010, 04:04 PM »
I have to disagree again, and go with Filoni...

I think his point expands to movie aliens overall.  You can only show movie aliens so much before it looks like all the SW galaxy is made up of, is aliens we saw.  In a galaxy of "a million million worlds" (Lucas' explanation of the SW galaxy's vastness), you're going to see a LOT more aliens not in the movies than the ones you do see in the movies.  As it is, I thought we saw too few new species in the Prequals. 

So I see where Filoni's coming from there.  The lizard guys were fine...  I liked the fishy Senator guy from the Droids episode, and the street vendor.  Then there's the DJ in the Hunt for Ziro...  You should though, in theory, see a lot more aliens we've never seen than constantly see the ones we've already seen time and again (ROdians, Ithorians, etc.).

I do think some more from the Cantina should show up, but they've snuck them in too...  Gotals have shown up now for instance.  Quarren have made their appearance...  Hell, we've seen Rodians, Quarrens, Mon Calamari, Nikto (but not green Nikto, which would be nice), Weequay, Gotals, Gammoreans, Twi'Leks, Ithorians, Aqualish, Duros, Muftak's crew (though not Muftak's crew out in the galaxy), Jawas, Hutts...

And that's not even getting into Prequal aliens we've seen like Baron Papanoida's species and such.

Making up their own species to avoid redundancy on the show, but also with the films, seems like a pretty good idea I think.