Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149112 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #300 on: January 15, 2011, 08:41 PM »
It was Ok. I liked Clancy Brown. It felt like kind of a letdown after last week though.

Wow, those Zabrak dudes are some real pussies. AHCHOO! Oops, I must be allergic to EMASCULATION.

Grow a pair, boys!

And what, did the Jedi Council look for the puniest, most pathetic Jedi to guard that all important Temple? Those guys caved in quicker than the French!

Why no scenes from next week? Is two new episodes in a row their limit? That 3 week break over Christmas wasn't enough?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 15, 2011, 09:13 PM »
Why no scenes from next week? Is two new episodes in a row their limit? That 3 week break over Christmas wasn't enough?

Not sure, but TVGuide.com lists new episodes this Friday and next (and that's as far out as the guide goes).

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 16, 2011, 01:27 PM »
Dooku and the Jedi are going to have their hands full with that Savage Opress ;)  The last two minutes of that episode were the best part of that show. 

I disliked the fact that Savage was sort of "magically" changed by the witches into the brute as it sort of takes away from the insidious nature of the dark side of the force.  It would have been better to have seen the character seduced into the dark side over the episode arc by Ventress and the others - perhaps playing on the desire to protect his brother - than some sort of witch-spell, but I can't argue with the end result.

EU plot loopholes aside, what has been interesting about these two episodes is their exploration into the Sith culture.  It sort of provides a contrast against what we've seen with the Jedi.  The way the Sith constantly scheme against one another, master against aprentice, to achieve power...  Dooku sort of summed it up in the last lines of the episode when he noted how he and Opress could work together to overthrow Darth Sidious.  Not that he will, of course ;)   
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 16, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Dooku sort of summed it up in the last lines of the episode when he noted how he and Opress could work together to overthrow Darth Sidious.  Not that he will, of course ;)   

:o
Spoiler Alert, dude!  8)  ;)

I caught a bit of the episode since it was being hyped (I've not seen any of Season 3 yet... waiting for DVDs), but was underwhelmed by Savage's 'turn'. The Sith witchcraft turns people to the dark side now? I just felt it was something one possesses force-wise, and you choose which path you follow: dark or light. But yeah, a major Republic outpost is guarded by a handful of troops and a Jedi and Padawan. I still don't recall why the Master didn't recall his saber instead of doing acrobatic kicks on his opponent. Clearly, Savage was someone special if he took a blaster shot at point-blank range and kept going.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #304 on: January 17, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Gotta say that this one was sort of a stinker...sure it was full of action and such but I really didn't need Darth Maul's backstory fleshed out at all nor do I like the idea of a dark side infused warrior with super strength

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 18, 2011, 12:41 AM »
I stumbled upon this episode last night (like Siddy I wait for the DVDs; only season 3 episode I've seen is the Q-Vos/Sy Snootles one) and yeah it was kind of a letdown. The fighting was cool and all but I still think the concept of Maul having a brother is lame, especially when he ends up being some sort of Frankenstein monster being fueled by the Force.

Having just finished watching Season 2, I think there are still some untapped villains they could use rather than adding more random Sith apprentices. I mean they hardly even used Cad Bane, the Mandalorians, etc... I guess what I'm saying is that I would have rather seen Dooku train the whole bunch of Zabraks and have them assault the temple as a group of warriors.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #306 on: January 18, 2011, 02:10 AM »
Was it that Maul had a brother though?  I got the impression, and maybe some of this was rationalizing it in my own head, that these Zabraks are almost kept here, like they're bred to some degree, as peole that can either be trained, or created, into something.  So was Maul bred to be like he was, or was he force-adept and chosen?

The episode deviates 100% from his backstory...  I think there's some scenes of his childhood in the EU, and how he's found by Palpatine/Sidious.

I could see it tying to his backstory some though, if Maul was sort of handed off as a child to Sidious because of his force-adept nature... 

I don't know what to make of Opress' ultimate "force sensitivity" or whatever.  it's almost more like they gave him mystical Star Wars roids, beefed him up, and made him just a really badass warrior.  Is he using the force?  Maybe a little, but he sorta seems like more a brute than a force-user.  I don't know.  Either way, the longer Clone Wars goes on, the more and more I look at it simply as "more expanded universe".  It's good, don't get me wrong, but its utter lack of cohesion with anything established already makes me look at TCW3D as really just another comic book, or novel, or video game.  A lot of it rocks, but sometimes I think I'll stick with the established storylines and things, and just sorta put Clone Wars somewhere behind it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #307 on: January 18, 2011, 12:15 PM »
Am I the only one that has been underwhelmed by this so far?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 18, 2011, 12:35 PM »
Am I the only one that has been underwhelmed by this so far?

No. The high points of the much-hyped "Savage Arc" have been a space battle rehashed from ROTS and a two-minute battle scene that has been available online for the past month or so.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 18, 2011, 01:39 PM »
Savage killing his brother does actually have some precedent in Sith lore.  In both comics and novels we've seen Sith commit murders in order to gain more strength in the Dark side of The Force.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 18, 2011, 11:17 PM »
The 1st episode was meant to set up the story, and the 2nd episode actually introduced the new villain. If anything, having this just as a trilogy of 3 episodes really narrowed down the potential story there could have been.

Had Savage took up the entire rest of the season (like it was hyped up until a month before the episodes actually started airing), there may have been more time to expand on a better backstory for him. 
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 20, 2011, 11:13 AM »
pure awesome thanks for that!!!  cant wait!

side note - which characters did  Ron Perlman and Jon Favreau do voices for?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #313 on: January 20, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Favreau did Pre Viszla and Perlman did Gha Nachkt
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 20, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Interesting....Still a shame they couldn't have shoe-horned him in somewhere in ROTS.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN