Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149505 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #345 on: January 31, 2011, 02:27 PM »
I can see why some felt that last episode was a little bit trippy, but I really enjoyed it.  The various visions were each kind of cool in their way (Qui-Gon, Shmi, Ahsoka), and Anakin really had some nice moments as well.  Looking forward to the rest of the arc.  Although it has only been a handful of episodes so far, I think the second "half" of the season that kicked off with the Oppress arc has really been more entertaining than the first half (with some exceptions).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #346 on: January 31, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Obi-wan kept bringing up that the place they were in WAS the Force.  So while the Son and Daughter were causing the appiritions, there is no reason to believe they weren't who they were supposed to be  ie that actually was Qui Gon and Shmi and Future Ahsoka.

At least in my mind   

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 31, 2011, 06:06 PM »
Overlords delivered aplenty of goodness and is my fave episode thus far of Season III.

The Savage Arc was disappointing only in that it was too short - three episodes I hear you say?

Well count how many political ones there's been and then compare.

Anyhoo OT: Overlords 10/10 from me.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #348 on: January 31, 2011, 11:31 PM »
The more I watch this show the less I like it.  With Qui Gonn showing up as a ghost here it completely ruins the end of ROTS.  Why was Obi-Wan surprised to hear Qui Gonn is able to communicate with the living when he's already talked with him?!

For that matter, why is Qui Gonn asking questions about how Anakin was trained?  We're supposed to believe he's been watching all along since he tried to stop him from killing the Sandpeople in AOTC.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 1, 2011, 09:54 AM »
The more I watch this show the less I like it.  With Qui Gonn showing up as a ghost here it completely ruins the end of ROTS.  Why was Obi-Wan surprised to hear Qui Gonn is able to communicate with the living when he's already talked with him?!

For that matter, why is Qui Gonn asking questions about how Anakin was trained?  We're supposed to believe he's been watching all along since he tried to stop him from killing the Sandpeople in AOTC.

1) Because his experience on Mortis was so far outside the realm of human experience that Obi-Wan probably suspected it was a dream, or an apparition, or manifestation of his subconscious. We don't really even know yet if that really WAS Qui-Gonn. We know the Son was impersonating Shmi, and it's a safe assumption that the Daughter was impersonating future-Ahsoka. Maybe the Qui-Gonn vision was the work of the Father, trying to glean more clues about the path of the Chosen One.

2) As far as the line of questions, again, not sure that was really Qui-Gonn. It could have been the Father or possibly even one of the siblings trying to find out more information about Anakin. Or maybe it WAS Qui-Gonn, and he just wanted to hear Obi-Wan's assessment of the training to this point. Or more to the point, he wanted to hear his "point of view" because so many of the truths we cling to depend on our POV, yadda yadda yadda.

I really think the brilliance of an episode like this is that it does lend itself to interpretation and allows enough wiggle room to satisfactorily explain away most of the weirder elements. (Like where is the sunlight coming from?) I also think it opens up some really interesting questions about the Force itself, and the fact that the Sith and Jedi are just practitioners, and not really the end all be all of the various paths.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 1, 2011, 11:50 PM »
When did Qui-Gon-Jinn have an extra 'n' added to his middle name???
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 2, 2011, 03:56 PM »
I am enjoying this show. However, like the rest of you I'm having trouble with how it seems to go out of it's way to contradict previous canon. I was saying in another thread that I almost wish this were an alternate timeline or something. At least then we don't know how everything turns out in the end.

The last episode was...interesting. This arch has been advertised as revealing the "Origin of the Force" but I thought we already knew that? I was pretty satisfied with Yoda's explanation in ESB and never really thought about it beyond that.

Something that has been bugging me is how, no matter how dire the situation, no one ever seems particularly concerned. I know these are cocky jedi and all but all of the power to your ship goes out (including life support) and no one is anymore concerned than if they lost the remote control. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #352 on: February 3, 2011, 03:08 AM »
The thing about "canon" is Lucas has basically said that it's only canon when he says it is, and that if he isn't writing it then he doesn't give a rat's ass.  That's what makes me even look at what he writes with some skepticism at this point...

Then again, that could've been the prequals that made me think that too.

Either way though, this goes to my reply to your point in the other thread, that nothing is "canon" unless Lucas says so, and he only says so on what he has his hands involved in any capacity.  That's why LFL has always said the rest is just part of their blanket "Official Continuity" response.  It's a clever way for them to disevow things Lucas decides he wants to explore more of when he decides he needs more money.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2011, 03:31 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 3, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Either way though, this goes to my reply to your point in the other thread, that nothing is "canon" unless Lucas says so, and he only says so on what he has his hands involved in any capacity.  That's why LFL has always said the rest is just part of their blanket "Official Continuity" response.  It's a clever way for them to disevow things Lucas decides he wants to explore more of when he decides he needs more money.

I get that and agree with you. I just think it's crap. I don't specifically care that a canon exists or that it doesn't, just make a decision and stick with it. I mean no one gets irritated when Batman:TAS doesn't gel with what happens in batman begins because they aren't supposed to match up. Between the comics, two cartoon shows, and the movies there are at least four different batman continuities going at the same time right now and it works just fine. It's when you say that everything is a part of a larger puzzle and don't go to the trouble to make sure the pieces fit that people get annoyed.

« Last Edit: February 3, 2011, 02:37 PM by Lestat »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #354 on: February 3, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Eh, I can't say it annoys me...  It's like NJO.

I like probably 50% of NJO, and hate the other 50%. 

I like Luke's story re-establishing the Jedi, and how all these force-sensitives existed and he's gathered them up (some were soldiers in the war even, like Kyle Katarn, Keyan Farlander...  Others were found and exploited, like Maarek Steele and Mara Jade) to train them properly and stuff... 

Other stuff I thought was lame, like the Yuzahn Vong's blatant rip-off of Star Trek aliens that were around at basically the same time, and offing Chewbacca as a publicity stunt.  So, basically, I just sorta ignore what I dislike and embrace what I enjoyed...  Lucas has so thoroughly screwed things up to me, in terms of Star Wars, that I figure he's no better than Timmothy Zahn, a Lucasarts game's storyline, or the latest Darkhorse series.  *shrugs*

If it doesn't fit I either try to think of a logical reason it could fit, or I just ignore it.  That goes for Clone wars too.  I like some of the EU storylines that were out better than what the toon put out that contradicted them.  It is what it is. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 4, 2011, 09:27 AM »
Sam "Starkiller" Witwer was the voice of The Son?

I did not know that. Will be curious to listen more closely tonight.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 4, 2011, 01:06 PM »
It would be cool if instead of making all-new episodes that go out of their way to contradict previously-established canon, episodes were made based off of comic book stories or novels. I'm sure that would require buying the rights to the stories (right?), but it'd be cool to see, say, the Battle of Jabiim in the new animated format.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #357 on: February 4, 2011, 05:02 PM »
I doubt it.  Anything SW, Lucas owns.  I think he just feels most of the EU is ****.  He used to openly say that about Fett coming back to life, and how he never intended that, and how silly the idea was that Fett got barfed up because he couldn't be digested...  And how to him, Fett's dead.  It used to outrage Fett fanatics who loved that the EU brought him back and kinda made him a decent guy.

Lucas just doesn't really care.  I'd dig seeing the Jabiim stuff make the toon too by the way.  It takes place relatively soon after AOTC though.  Ani's hair was short and he had a braid yet anyway I believe.  Not that jumping around the timeline ever stopped them.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 5, 2011, 01:00 AM »
  Other stuff I thought was lame, like the Yuzahn Vong's blatant rip-off of Star Trek aliens that were around at basically the same time, and offing Chewbacca as a publicity stunt.  

I thought they were a rip off Cobra-La and/or the Tyrannids from Warhammer 40K. With some Hellraiser thrown in, maybe.

In regards to the Overlords arc...all three of those force wielders need to die, really. The Jedi and Sith already have too much power (Look at the destruction their rivalry has caused), three demi-gods...does anyone wonder how the normal people feel about all these superpowered types running around? That's what the arc is missing. A person who says "all you force users are too dangerous".

It was sooo noble of the daughter who was dying anyway, to revive Ahsoka. Wow. The light side is sooo awesome.  ::)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 5, 2011, 09:19 AM »
Three "people" that apparently are all that matter to the force? Light person dead so, oh now we know why Anakin turns into Vader. But otherwise know one else knows about these people or cares if they do.

When does Luke go to his force planet and defeat the darkside person so he can defeat the Emperor and turn Vader back?

This story is just too out there (and I love me my EU stuff).
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within