Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149116 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #420 on: March 11, 2011, 03:11 PM »
Dooku makes me laugh. You're trying to secure information that could turn the tide of the war, and you entrust the whole operation to a bunch of droids and that goofy ass warden? Damn right that needs your personal attention.

Whether it's intentional or not on the part of the writers, I chalk this up to the fact that Dooku and Sidious are truly just playing both sides for their own gains. They really don't care who "wins" and if you think about - Sidious really doesn't want the CIS to win, he wants to be in the position as chancellor to reform the Republic into an Empire and become Emperor - it would have to work slightly differently if the CIS wins the war....

Yeah, that's a great point, I guess I just wonder how much Dooku was really ever privy to that grand scheme. I always felt like he was more of a pawn in the whole game. Like Sidious had a plan for whichever side came out on top, and he let Dooku do his best to win it for the CIS and may the chips fall wherever.

It does seem like the CIS would have won out eventually.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #421 on: March 11, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Dooku is a pawn, to some degree, as all Sith Lords are...  But he's scheming himself too.

But Dooku seems fairly "up" on what's going on too though...  His dialogue with Sidious always seems to at least imply that he knows this is all a big scheme, and that they're working towards a greater goal.

Perhaps Dooku was always intended to be part of the grand plan till Sidious realizes he can replace Dooku with something better?  And perhaps Sidious has also seen Dooku's scheming through the war, with Assajj and eventually Savage Oppress?  Sidious maybe figures at that point, "Ah, f him, I'll just sway that Anakin kid...  he's pretty stupid".
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 12, 2011, 02:32 AM »
Ok, so this episode really pissed me off in a sense - Even Piell doesn't die until after ROTS... he's killed a few months after Order 66 is issued. It's in an EU novel, I can't recall the name, but even the Episode Guide confirms this. The fact that the Guide says that Piell's death in this episode is "the character's true fate" just really upsets me, because this is Filoni and his gang saying, "You know what, we know this happens later on, we know this is canon, but screw it." They've done it with Asajj Ventress's backstory, Eeth Koth's original death, now it's being done again. I've really lost faith in this show because of its nefarious reputation to not care about ANY previously established material whatsoever. Who says that Piell's original death in the EU novel isn't just as valid? Sorry for the rant, but I'm a fan of all the original Clone Wars-related EU that precedes this show, and this show has just demolished it all.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 12, 2011, 06:03 AM »
Flame-suit on but the previous EU is readily able to be taken apart by George Lucas (he supervises the storyline as I am sure you know)

Any hassles you have with it really rests with George cause he allows this to occur,Dave just puts it to him and needs the green-light.

Usual EU arguments will likely ensue.

OT: this episode rounded out the trilogy well and I loved every minute of it.

Piell dying even ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:07 AM by 501ST »
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 12, 2011, 01:10 PM »
Even Piell continuity explained.

Hmm, thanks... I guess it lessens my anger a bit because they at least try to fix/clean up the situation, but I'm still upset that they tried to do away with the original EU material so easily. Hopefully Filoni (or even George Lucas, for that matter, it seems like he's the one with the "great ideas" for this show sometimes) and his gang doesn't try to get too ahead of themselves, because there's already so much conflicting material as it is.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:11 PM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 13, 2011, 12:54 AM »
Perhaps Filoni could have save Piel for another episodes to geminate a Jedi like Yoda, another smaller master fighting droids etc.

The dead of Piel is kinda veritable, surprised by a beast, without oportunity to kill it.

Perhaps this would upset collectors who expected a clone wars animated version of him

Asoka is evolving in skills, she saved Tarkin, killing the annoying guy.

the producers intended to show a rough escape, losts of clones died in the way, and Tarkin risked to die by the hands of the reptile Osi.

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 13, 2011, 01:17 AM »
Perhaps this would upset collectors who expected a clone wars animated version of him

LOL @ the idea Hasbro aren't making Piell.  ;)
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 13, 2011, 01:13 PM »
Ok, so this episode really pissed me off in a sense - Even Piell doesn't die until after ROTS... he's killed a few months after Order 66 is issued. It's in an EU novel, I can't recall the name, but even the Episode Guide confirms this. The fact that the Guide says that Piell's death in this episode is "the character's true fate" just really upsets me, because this is Filoni and his gang saying, "You know what, we know this happens later on, we know this is canon, but screw it." They've done it with Asajj Ventress's backstory, Eeth Koth's original death, now it's being done again. I've really lost faith in this show because of its nefarious reputation to not care about ANY previously established material whatsoever. Who says that Piell's original death in the EU novel isn't just as valid? Sorry for the rant, but I'm a fan of all the original Clone Wars-related EU that precedes this show, and this show has just demolished it all.

I agree that I don't like how quick LFL is to piss on the EU. But despite that the show is damned entertaining.

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 13, 2011, 01:18 PM »

I agree that I don't like how quick LFL is to piss on the EU. I mean how much does it suck to be the writer who went to all that trouble to have GL essentially contradict his book for really no good reason. It made for a moving episode but it really wasn't necessary.  But despite all of that, the show is damned entertaining.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:20 PM by Lestat »

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 13, 2011, 06:58 PM »
I think, the producers want to introduce other aspects of the war not contemplated in the PT, for example
-with Even Piell´s death they show a very narrow escape; the Jedi and rank officers like Tarkin are outnumbered
-The dog, hyena or caninus beast that killed Piell, in some way pinpoints the weakness of this character, not of his function on story, but in military terms.
Piell died because the beast bit him in the troath, the Jedi took a mortal wound, impossible to mend the situation.
What happens in that process: the beast uses his weight to immobilize Piells tiny arms, Asoka was occupied with several attackers, she force grab the dog beast too late. (again, it´s a narrow escape with a narrow defense)
In some ways is disgusting Piell only appeared in two episodes, they could have expanded his adventures.
It seems too much in that situation, but Why a Jedi can´t use a force lift without the aid of his hands?
Piell could geminate or mimic Yoda in some aspects, but his power is less significative.
I am not at currant with Pt EU novels, but in this series of Clone Wars, where "only the strong" are surviving, Yaddle is the next candidate to die in that way, too.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 07:01 PM by EpicGon »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #431 on: March 14, 2011, 02:17 AM »
Anyone else think it was funny how Piel must've been made out of asbestos?  Dude wouldn't burn yet that dog thing went up like it had gasoline coming out of its pores.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 14, 2011, 09:41 AM »
Pretty satisfying wrap-up, all in all. I loved Ahsoka impaling Osi...good brutal stuff. Does anyone remember that old animated film from the 80's called Rock and Rule? I swear to God Osi Sobeck had to be modelled after Mok.

Great toy fodder in this episode too. Hello, animated Adi Gallia! We already know Saesee Tin is coming out, but we also got 2 new starfighter repaints to trawl out now too. And I absolutely need a Deluxe set with at least one Anooba.

Whose idea was it to make the rendezvous point a low level island surrounded by lava?  ::) Not the easiest place to defend tactically. And how the hell did those Crab Droids crawl onto there? Are they somehow lava resistant?

Tarkin is a douche.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 14, 2011, 10:43 AM »
Pretty satisfying wrap-up, all in all. I loved Ahsoka impaling Osi...good brutal stuff. Does anyone remember that old animated film from the 80's called Rock and Rule? I swear to God Osi Sobeck had to be modelled after Mok.

I didn't like the character design of Osi Sobeck. He reminded me of a Killer Klown from Outer Space. I agree, it was stupid to have the rendezvous point at a low level island surrounded by lava. Not only do they have to climb a rope across lava but then have no were to hide while the battle droids shoot at them from the other side. It's like the worst possible place they could have waited.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 14, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Anyone else think it was funny how Piel must've been made out of asbestos?  Dude wouldn't burn yet that dog thing went up like it had gasoline coming out of its pores.

Yeah, but techinically everyone should've died from the sheer heat all that lava was putting out (same goes for Mustafar in ROTS).

I get a little tired of alien animals that are so equivalent to earth animals.

Also, the only survivor was Tarkin. They couldn't just let one no-name clone live for the heck of it.

I think the story was an episode too long, actually.