Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 150008 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #480 on: April 26, 2011, 02:46 AM »
From a story standpoint, you can see the angle that Dave Filoni was trying to play in the "Wookiee Hunt" commentary.  He's basically saying that the Wookiees have hired Sugi's ship much in the same way that Obi-Wan and Luke hired the Falcon to take them to Alderaan in ANH.

But what about the reality?  If it really was a case of foregoing a new Wookiee ship in the name keeping this episode on or under budget, do you really think that anyone would admit that openly?  I really don't think so.  People want to keep their jobs, and undermining a successful animation series with that kind of talk is a nice way to talk yourself out of a job.  George Lucas has said himself that films are never finished, they're abandoned.  They get to a point where the production has run out money and there will be compromises to the final cut in order to get it finished and released.  As for this episode of Clone Wars?  I can just see the production meeting where this story point was brought up:

"Well, the Wookiees are sophisticated.  They can fix & pilot starships.  They have this hyperspace navigation guild"
"But how long will it take the design team to come up with a Wookiee starship that George will approve?  And then how much will it cost to get the animation team to build all of the wireframes for the new ship?"
"The design team is probably going to need 2 weeks and will come in around $xx,xxx.  Then the animation team for the ship itself will cost another $yy,yyy."
"Well, what if we just modify an existing model and bring in some other characters to fly the Wookiees in?  We have the bounty hunter ship built already.  It might just need a little modifying, but I think that would cost $z,zzz."
"Okay.  Let's bring that to George"

That kind of reality is just TOO REAL for some fanboys to digest.  And that's why I think Dave Filoni told us what he did in the episode commentary.  It's like the old saying:  you don't want to see what goes into making the sausage.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #481 on: April 26, 2011, 03:37 AM »
Sometimes I think Filoni should try less to address continuity stuff like that.  It's probably one of the bigger issues fans get annoyed with, regardless of the reasoning.  The whole Mandalorian arc had them basically lose an author over it, and threw out a popular series of books...  It's just silly.

But for my $.02 I like the videos regardless and just ignore the continuity cramming that goes on.  My wookiees will still be technologically advanced.  ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 28, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Sometimes I think Filoni should try less to address continuity stuff like that.  It's probably one of the bigger issues fans get annoyed with, regardless of the reasoning.  The whole Mandalorian arc had them basically lose an author over it, and threw out a popular series of books...  It's just silly.

That's the main problem I have with this show - instead of working their way around some already-established material, they just try to overrule it. It's happened far too many times already, especially in Season 3. Hopefully Season 4 won't be the same.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #484 on: June 20, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Sounds like a lot of deleted and extended scenes.  I'm curious what all is maybe available.  I wish they'd do more of that stuff as Season 1 and 2 are nice to have, but lacked the "umph" I was hoping for.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 21, 2011, 03:28 PM »

Secrets Revealed? HOW ABOUT REVEALING HE ACTUALLY HAS A DAD?

This made me laugh out loud!!! So true. Other secrets I would have liked to have been revealed:

-Sifo-dyas' backstory
-More about Palpatine's training under Plagueis
-clarification on the prophecy of the "chosen one"
-Why the jedi ability to sense the force is diminished
-Why "only the dark lord of the sith" knows about it
-When did Qui Gon learn to commune beyond death (even though that whole concept is unecessary. How about when you die you become a ghost? Very simple.)
-Why the jedi aren't concerned that all of the clones are made from the dude who tried to kill Obi-wan, Mace Windu and Padme

Etc., Etc.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #486 on: June 22, 2011, 01:32 AM »
Sounds like a lot of deleted and extended scenes.  I'm curious what all is maybe available.  I wish they'd do more of that stuff as Season 1 and 2 are nice to have, but lacked the "umph" I was hoping for.

Hopefully they'll have the unedited episodes esp. the one where Ventress is force choking/levitating Cmdr. Colt, pulls him toward her to run him through with her lightsaber and then kisses him on the cheek. Best. Scene. EVAR.  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #487 on: June 22, 2011, 01:53 AM »
I'd totally forgotten about that sequence....  It was all kinds of awesome, and added a ton to her character's savagery.  I hope we see that for sure.  I'm betting a lot will be put into the "Force Dream" thing with the Father, Son, and Daughter.

Or perhaps an hour about poisoned drinks on Mandalore that was edited out of that **** sandwich.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:54 AM by Jesse James »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 19, 2011, 10:39 AM »
So I've been to 3 different stores now to purchase the Season 3 set and noone carries the Blu-Ray version. WTF?

I know Best Buy will have it but I hate that store with a passion so there has to be a better brick and mortar option.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 19, 2011, 11:55 AM »
My Target had several of both flavors this AM.  Was this the season with the tainted school lunches?  Will probably skip it.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 19, 2011, 01:58 PM »
Yeah, our local Target had several of both versions as well.  It seems like they are regular boxed releases this time around, as opposed to the last couple seasons which had that book-like packaging with the art/etc. included inside.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 22, 2011, 02:21 AM »
Can anyone who's bought the Season 3 DVD confirm if the scene is included where Asajj kisses Colt after she runs him through?

For anyone who has no kriffin' idea of what that is, it's right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=esbI1HTzRHA
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 23, 2011, 06:37 PM »
Yes, it is in the regular cut of the episode as was originally intended. The blu-ray archives also have several mock up deleted scenes that are worth watching. The packaging is a step down, but if you liked what you found with season 2 this is a great pick- up.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 5, 2012, 01:29 AM »
Got the Blu-Ray for Christmas and just recently finished it... what a borefest. The first two episodes were good, as was the Citadel storyline, but that was pretty much it. The "World's Most Dangerous Game" story with Chewbacca was decent too but everything else was terrible. Poisoned tea was as bad as everyone has already mentioned, and the Savage storyline was worse than I remember it being from the one episode I saw when the season was airing. And what was up with that stupid neverending arc involving the ghost chick and the Sith Demon dude and their dad? I think I fell asleep about 3 times during those episodes.

Huge thumbs down for this season.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #494 on: January 5, 2012, 01:39 AM »
I couldn't agree more (not that I have the DVD's though), on the "The Son, Daughter, & Father" arc...  I honestly thought that was pretty bad, and tastes worse the 2nd time around.

Color me unimpressed with last season, and so far this season has been better, but I'm really afraid this series has too much of Lucas' portly digits in it.  I mean, how sad is that to say?  You can just see him stepping up on the bridge, and taking the wheel from the hands of a guy like Filoni, giving it a good spin, cackling, and walking away. 

The formula's simple...  "Landing At Point Rain" = good.  "Poisoned Tea & Politics" = bad.  It's turned into Lucas just expanding the ******** aspects of the prequals even further, and at the expense of kids.

It's sad when one of the better things you can say about the series is that it made Jar Jar a little more tolerable.

And in CW news there's a new episode this week, and it shows some promise.  I've liked the current "slave" arc and Anakin being all Sithy but containing it (barely).  The new season isn't as bad as last season, but it's gotta really pick up I think to rival the momentum the series had early in its run.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2012, 01:41 AM by Jesse James »