Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149450 times)

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #270 on: December 14, 2010, 08:52 PM »
Noticed that they are also moving the start time up - that's got to be a good thing, a show of confidence on the part of CN.

Maybe they ran all the lamesness because they were working so hard on getting the coolness right on these new eps?

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 14, 2010, 10:55 PM »
Very impressive!  I just hope all of that is not contianed in 3-4 episodes and the rest being filled with more political garbage.  Also, is this the final season?  Ahsoka didn't look very happy...

No, this isn't the final season - at least nobody has said it is. I'm guessing that Ahsoka hasn't gone bad, but rather was was somehow brainwashed/manipulated by that evil-looking dude (that shot of her face with the dark bags under her eyes looks like the effects of the virus from the "Blue Shadow Virus" episode from Season 1). I'm sure that by the end of the season she'll be good little Ahsoka again.

I'm really interested who that Dark Side wizard/Sith(?) was. Perhaps a Sith from the KOTOR-era? That would be a very cool link to that time frame.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 15, 2010, 08:37 AM »
I believe from the outset they have planned around a five season run, so two more to come after this one.

Trailer was pretty cool...I can never really tell what is going on in those things because of the editing and that one was particularly dark.

Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of Felucia again...wonder if they'll show any of those weird natives?

I think they really need to be careful about expanding the Sith line-up because every new person added just takes them further and further away from the Law of 2, or whatever it is called. They're gonna be up to what, 5 or 6 now? That's TOO MANY, Sidious! You of all people should know better. You can't have all these Sith running amuck all over the place. They're still trying to keep that stuff under wraps from the Jedi after all.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 15, 2010, 10:56 AM »
I'm really interested who that Dark Side wizard/Sith(?) was. Perhaps a Sith from the KOTOR-era? That would be a very cool link to that time frame.

When I first saw him my first reaction was the Pau'an, Darth Desolace, a Dark Lord of the Sith.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 15, 2010, 06:30 PM »
It would be perfect if Ashoka survives the dark side temptation, if not the tremendous effort of lucasfilm for changing her appearence would be wasted.
There are signs that Jedi will face more than one sith on this season, that is
if Savage Opress is not a full dark lord, he could be a chief of the sith assassins.
The dark sisters (sith witches) should have to fight in a lightsaber duel, at least at once with several Jedi (Ki Adi Mundi, Shaak Ti, Luminara, Plo Koon, etc)

I wonder, not assuming, that this Season 3 would reveal the interaction of several categories of the Sith hierarchy: acolytes, assasins, commandos, witches, etc), this fact will force Sidious to appear more on screen than previous seasons to define the ranks of those newcoming characters.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 15, 2010, 08:28 PM »
Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of Felucia again...wonder if they'll show any of those weird natives?

This doesn't look like Felucia... not to me, at least. Considering there was only one setting shown in the entire trailer, I wonder if the second half of the season will be entirely on this planet, or if this will be another arc of stories.

Filoni seems to really like witches/wizards/magic this season. First the Night Sisters (who apparently use their own exclusive type of magic), now this Sith(?) character. The planet shown also seems very Harry Potter-ish, with all those glowing beings and the unidentified person from the creature that transforms into a flying creature.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #276 on: December 16, 2010, 04:30 AM »
I stand by the mentality that the "law of 2" only applies to legitimate Sith, and that these people are anything but...  There can be tons of "dark Jedi", but only two true Sith Lords.  Aurra Sing can fall into the dark force-user/dark jedi realm, Assajj, Vos (arguably), and others from EU and in the series now it seems.  They could range from being pretty darn good at manipulating the force, all the way to just being able to float the remote over to themselves.  But there can be almost unlimited numbers of people able to use the force, who are used as pawns by the Sith.

If anything that plays into what douches they are, whereas Jedi would at least remotely try to mentor or keep track of them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #277 on: December 16, 2010, 12:42 PM »
I also like the idea of the rule of two, but the Sith don't even follow it.  Every one of them has a future Sith in waiting (Dooku has Asajj, now Oppress apparently, Sidious has Anakin, etc.)  It's more branding to me.  The Sith own the Dark Side brand, but there's plenty of knock offs.  Like Jesse said, there has to be an enormous amount of people in the SW universe who have some level of force sensibility.  Not all of them become Jedi, and not all of them become Sith, but they do what they can, and each aspect of the force, good and bad, has its devotees.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 22, 2010, 01:51 AM »
I bought the latest 'Insider' issue, and, boy, did Leland Chee do A LOT of retconning. Some very minor spoilers below...

- Asajj Ventress is no longer from Rattatak, but now from Dathomir
- Darth Maul went from being from Iridonia (the FORMER Zabrak home planet) to now from Dathomir also
- If I understood this right, apparently ALL Zabraks are now from Dathomir, but regard Iridonia as their homeplanet.

The article was very confusing. It was as if by trying to retcon so much that Leland Chee ended up making things more confusing. For example, he says that Human-Zabrak females have pale skin and no horns (so is he implying that Asajj Ventress is a Human-Zabrak breed?), and that the male breeds have horns and skin patterns, so does that mean that Darth Maul and Savage Opress are Human-Zabraks? I dunno. It's very confusing.

Chee pretty much disregarded all of the original backstory for Asajj that has been set in stone by the CW microseries and by so many comic writers, and pretty much kept only ONE of the original pieces of her backstory: that she was once a Jedi for a short time (as established in the comics). They even threw away the fact that she was from Rattatak, which really upset me. But I guess it depends on how seriously you take all this complicated EU stuff.

The article also outlines the entire trilogy arc, which is surprisng because they could have done that next issue once all the episodes air, but it's their call, I guess...   

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 22, 2010, 09:35 AM »
I need to read that article, because it just sounds all kinds of mixed up. WTF is Leland Chee anyway? Shouldn't Filoni be directly handling any retcon of existing EU?

Asajj is NOT a Zabrak.

Iridonia IS the Zabrak homeworld.

Darth Maul's "skin patterns" were tattoos, not natural colorings.

Female Zabrak absolutely have horns, and this has been established clearly on the show already: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sugi

Ugh, my absolute biggest pet peeve with any entertainment is when they can't keep their own continuity straight. How freaking hard is that? Just hire geeks like us to police the content!

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 22, 2010, 04:34 PM »
I need to read that article, because it just sounds all kinds of mixed up. WTF is Leland Chee anyway? Shouldn't Filoni be directly handling any retcon of existing EU?

Leland Chee (according to the Star Wars Wiki) is "a Lucasfilm official and the person who maintains the Holocron continuity database." Pretty much, he's the go-to guy in terms of Star Wars continuity, he even manages his own Q/A thread on the Official Site forums.

Iridonia IS the Zabrak homeworld.

Not anymore - according to what he says in the article, "The Zabraks, including Darth Maul, regarded Iridonia as their home world. In integrating the existing EU back-story with the new revelations in The Clone Wars, it was determined... a small group of Zabraks ended up on Dathomir prior to the Clone Wars...," and the article pretty much says that ever since, Zabraks are now from Dathomir. Even the Official Databank says Darth Maul is from Iridonia!

I thought the "In integrating the existing EU back-story with the new revelations..." line was funny, it's as if he's acting as if he's doing Star Wars continuity a favor by not trashing everything we know aside, but pretty much saying, "Hey, we've known Zabraks are from Iridonia for 11 years, but now we're gonna say they're from Dathormir, that should be fine, right?" ::)

Darth Maul's "skin patterns" were tattoos, not natural colorings.

"The full-body tattoos covering Darth Maul, originally thought to be linked to the Sith, come from the warrior culture of the Nightbrothers."

Ok, Mr. Chee, whatever you say. ::) Nevermind that at least 11 year's worth of established material has now been cast aside.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:42 PM by Jabba the Slug »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 23, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Dang, they really did make a mess of that, didn't they?

I just don't see the point. There are half a dozen ways that could have explained the Nightsister/Zabrak connection without having to rewrite history.

Just let Dathomir be the homeworld of the Rancor and Kwa. What't the point of throwing in the Zabraks too? The planets aren't even close to each other - Dathomir is in the freaking Outer Rim after all.

I just chalk it all up to intellectual laziness. It's really not that hard to manage continuity sensibly, even with as many properties as they have going.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 7, 2011, 07:58 PM »
I'm officially psyched for tonight. I feel like this is the "real" premiere and that whole schtick last year was just a bad dream.

Don't let me down Hollywood!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #283 on: January 7, 2011, 09:48 PM »
Pretty good episode tonight...love the voice effects of the Sisters.  Dooku fighting them blind while a little unreal was badass, especially the Lightning attack.  Good episode and a step in the right direction, can't wait for next week!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 7, 2011, 09:54 PM »
Sidious knows Ventress is becoming too powerful, but doesn't sense she is still alive. Hmmm...

Those poor salvagers.

If Ventress was taught by a Jedi, why does she seem to hate them so much?