Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149478 times)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #285 on: January 7, 2011, 11:24 PM »
The episode is gonna start in my area in 8 minutes... this feels like a super-special event, I wish all 3 episodes would air all in one night! The Official Site has a pretty good read on the evolution of Ventress collectables, and a special interview with Clancy Brown (Savage Opress), and I was really bummed to see the note that Savage doesn't appear until next week's episode... *sigh*...  :-[
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #286 on: January 8, 2011, 02:37 AM »
At least 2 of the 3 would've been nice Jabba, I agree.  1 kinda left me feeling down.

Great episode...  Just like you said Scott, the fight Dooku was having was great, and then the way he capped it off?  Only a Sith could've ended it that way.

I think the Palpy "sensing" strength in Ventress could've been at any point he's ever been near her, or could even be regarding to damage she's done in the war...  What's Dooku's ultimate attachment to her though?  And is he even remotely considering her as his apprentice and usurping Palpatine?

See that's a tricky thing...  They've not stepped on the toes of her origins with Dooku/Palpatine so far from the Tarkovsky series, but they were getting close.

I liked that they tied her to the Jedi too...  Though that was Aurra's background as well.  Maybe Ventress hates the Jedi because, after her rage being unleashed, they cast her out of the order?  Anakin kept his Tusken slaughter to himself mostly, but had the order known, would he have been "let go"?

Throwing force sensitives who've been, at the very least partially trained, seems like a bad idea.  It's like making guns that aren't quite finished but can still be dangerous and functional, and just chucing them out into the street with the trash.  Someone's bound to go dumpster diving.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 8, 2011, 12:05 PM »
mmm... the dark side is clouding the comics timeline continuity

regrets for the change of Rattattak for Dathomir
but the flash back is very quick, they said Asajj left Dathomir, so Republic 60 could be true in a certain point of view.

As a literature and Linguistics man, I suggest the change for this planet is due to the stronger and more appelaing name of Dathomir, cause Rattatak is kinda cacophonic and so childish for a serious name.

Only future chapters could tell us if zabraks are originary from this planet (that will proof a loss of continuity, certain lack of variety). Iridonia was appealing too, for Iridium the radiactive element which ended the reign of dinosaurs, sounds strong, perturbing, dark side connected.

The nightsisters show themselves an organized army inside the galaxy, thier mother is cunning and able to conspire, she projects herself a competitor to Sidious (less powerful of course, but enough macchiavelic).

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #288 on: January 8, 2011, 01:55 PM »

As a literature and Linguistics man, I suggest the change for this planet is due to the stronger and more appelaing name of Dathomir, cause Rattatak is kinda cacophonic and so childish for a serious name.

So is Greedo.  I mean, he's greedy...so his name is Greedo.  SW is pulp, not serious literature.  Rancr?  Mon Clalmari?  C'mon.  It's supposed to be goofy.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 8, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Wow, Asajj once had hair?! :o That was probably the most surprising part of the episode for me...  ;)

Oh, and to address her backstory, first, for those wondering about her (I've read all the comic/books with her in them), she was originally trained on Rattatak as a Jedi by Ky Narec (the Jedi who found her) after he crash-lands on the planet, but he was killed when a bunch of warlords saw how powerful they were becoming and decided to kill both of them. The fact that he was killed in the episode is consistent with her original backstory. She then falls to the darkside and years later meets Dooku, and is brainwashed by Dooku to think that the Jedi abandoned both her and her master to die, which is why she hates them so much. Aurra Sing's story is somewhat similar, but hers is that she was kidnapped by pirates, and is led to believe that her Master abandoned her, which is also why Aurra hates the Jedi.    

I loved how Sidious totally snapped at Dooku, we've never seen that before! Usually it's always been, "You have done well, blah blah" but in this scene, he's pretty much saying, "Kill her, or I kill YOU!"

I thought it was interesting how Dooku tried to stand up for Asajj - he said she was "important" to him.

The 3-way duel between Anakin, Obi and Asajj was EPIC!! She totally could have kicked their asses - she just picked them up with the Force and totally went The Force Unleashed with them! That was probably my favorite part of the episode! It was a shock to see how desperate she was after they disarmed her and pointed their lightsabers at her.

The Dooku fight was cool also, I loved how after he was disarmed, Asajj just walked right up to him and was preparing for the final blow. That was a very powerful scene.

I feel kind of cheated Savage wasn't in this episode, considering he's supposed to be the star of only 3 episodes. Next week should be a good one for sure.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2011, 03:40 PM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 8, 2011, 03:20 PM »
One oddity with the plan to kill Dooku...if you could get close enought to successfully send a dart to dull his senses, you might as well use a lethally poisoned dart to kill him. But that wouldn't satisfy Ventress' revenge enough.

Also, Ventress surviving the lightining, the fall, and rescuing the two night sisters using the force,...gives enough leeway for Mace Windu somehow surviving in ROTS. Sure his fall was greater, and he'd probably have to cling to a moving speeder rather than a cliff, with one hand. But, strangers things have happened.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 8, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Glad to see a return to space fights and lightsaber duels with no political blah blah.  Keep it up!
« Last Edit: January 8, 2011, 05:06 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #292 on: January 8, 2011, 07:23 PM »
Great episode, shoulda given some time to why she went to the darkside. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 8, 2011, 09:41 PM »
The continued homages to other sci-fi properties is both amusing and gratifying.

Hands down the best scene maybe of the whole series ever was the Tactical Droid replying to Dooku "By Your Command" - EPIC.

And you gotta love the old Fremen "Water Of Life" schtick. Night-Sisters = Bene Gesserit?

After watching it again in HD this morning, the episode was even better the second time around. They always score big with the space battles, and the opening sequence did not disappoint in that regard. Heck, we got some nice screen time for the Tri-Fighters!

The hangar deck duel was very well done but it's the same old complaint - she should not have fared even that well against two of the best Jedi in the galaxy. And the force choke? No way dude, a Jedi Master would have a ready defense for that jazz. That should have been a lot more of a lop-sided battle than it was. Either that or Yoda was just lying and the Dark Side really IS stronger.

Guess we've seen the last of the erstwhile Fanblade Fighter? It will be missed.

How can you be Big-Shot Sith Lord and you feel all these disturbances all the time but you can't tell if Asajj is dead or not? That's some weak sauce.

What's with the lame ass security in Dooku's Fortress of Solitude? Could it have been any easier for them to have gotten in? Maybe mix in a motion detector or pheremone sensor, bro. Or even a scary dog, I mean WTF?

All the Dathomir stuff was way cool, although they obviously took some liberties with how it was all portrayed. The interior sets of the temple were insanely interesting. I really liked the rendering of the Nightsisters too. They have to make a Battlepack with Talzin, Asajj, and the other 2 warriors though. How cool was that laser-bow?

Not sure about the Asajj backstory, it does seem rather incomplete and derivative. At least they didn't blow up the Tartakovsky continuity totally.

You have to wonder ultimately how she will survive the war. She seems pretty hell bent on killing Dooku, and since we all know that never happens, it stands to reason she gets offed by the time ROTS has started.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 9, 2011, 12:41 PM »
I watched Assaj chapter for a second time; she´s growing his force powers over the top, like TFU
I think Republic 60 comic should not be deleted from timeline; it will serve as a proving battleground for her
with adoptive parents, the Jedi Mentor, her role as a commander previous to her Dooku allegiance.

So Rattattak could appear in the series too (despite its onomatopeyic sound for a machine gun blast)

Other role for Asajj was as pilot in this chapter, only surpassed by Anakin, who damaged her vesel in combat, previous to the duel in the hangar.

The ongoing chapters promise a very sofisticated fencing, I wonder if they are taking advice from Nick Gillard or another  eskrima expert.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 13, 2011, 10:30 PM »
There´s another thought: it was said that in season 3 of clone wars the characters were advancing closer to their rots looks, they did the most accurate job  for Anakin, Obi Wan improved but keeps a pointy beard (in the chin area) and Dooku looks the most unreal of the group; his head is very conical, kinda Ki Adi Mundi, almost pyramidal the beard area is wider than the forehead.

Dooku needs an update in his head, the designers must soften his traits. In aotc and rots figures, for example, he looks more like Don Quijote, with a decent proportion of head and body.
I´m not against the plot, cause seems the series got the necessary balance on entertainment for children and adult fans.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:32 PM by EpicGon »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 15, 2011, 01:19 AM »
Savage Oppress is a super-awesome warrior because he was infused with evil magic? Really? All the training with weapons, mastery of the force...and now it's pumping up some village tough using sorcery and then telling them what to do? How come the Night Sisters aren't ruling the cosmos?

Ventress, if she earned any sympathy last time, she lost it all. She orders Oppress to betray someone close to him (which he does, cuz now he's demonic), even though she was the near-victim of a betrayal last episode. Is that gonna come back to bite her in the butt?

Roswell Grey Jedi perished! NOOOO!  :P

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 15, 2011, 03:36 AM »
Savage Oppress is a super-awesome warrior because he was infused with evil magic? Really? All the training with weapons, mastery of the force...and now it's pumping up some village tough using sorcery and then telling them what to do? How come the Night Sisters aren't ruling the cosmos?

I have to agree with you there - previews made it seem like he was an actually Force-sensitive brother of Maul's... I love Savage, he's a tragic villain of sorts, but I don't understand how he could have learned to use the Force or even use a double-sided lightsaber (which is apparently dangerous to use). I can understand Dooku training him; I wonder how long he was actually Dooku's acolyte.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #298 on: January 15, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Savage was awespme before he was pumped up.  He almost beat Ventress.  He's a Frankenstien.  Not skilled, just a brute.  He's going to be unstable.

I liked that Ventress made him kill her brother.  We need to remember that she's evil.  One think I always liked about SW is that the villains kill people.  It gives it a bit more danger.

Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 15, 2011, 02:16 PM »
I liked that Ventress made him kill her brother.  We need to remember that she's evil.  One think I always liked about SW is that the villains kill people.  It gives it a bit more danger.

Filoni said on the episode commentary that Asajj is basically doing the same thing to Savage what Dooku did to her - and that it's the result of her dark side training. I like that he commented on this, because it makes you wonder why she would be evil enough to manipulate someone just like she was manipulated.