Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149440 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #315 on: January 20, 2011, 11:35 AM »
Liam Neeson to reprise his role as Qui-Gon Jinn in next week's The Clone Wars

BEST...NEWS...EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUGE Liam Neeson fan, loved the character too, and now we finally have an excuse for Hasbro to make an animated figure of him!

This just sounds insanely cool, cannot wait for that arc.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 20, 2011, 03:33 PM »
Well, here we go with conflicting ROTS...Kenobi seems surprised Yoda was communicating with Qui-Gon's spirit.

Of course, fans are rationalizing this already. "He was just surprised because he thought it was a dream and Yoda confirms Qui-Gon really is communicating with the living."

We'll see.

It doesn't bother me much, mainly because RotS wasn't all that.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 20, 2011, 06:52 PM »
BEST...NEWS...EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUGE Liam Neeson fan, loved the character too, and now we finally have an excuse for Hasbro to make an animated figure of him!

I concur, this is just epic! I think Qui-Gon's appearance here makes up for his absence in ROTS. If Hasbro doesn't make an animated Qui-Gon figure, they're just crazy.

I agree that this scene conflicts with the Yoda/Obi scene at the end ROTS, but only to a certain extent. Most canon-related problems can be easily worked out "from a certain point of view."
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #318 on: January 20, 2011, 07:41 PM »
I'm wondering if they won't play it off sort of like Luke in ANH...  Kenobi maybe senses QGJ, or hears things, but doesn't necessarilly believe he's hearing or seeing what he is...  It's just something he maybe dismisses as a dream, or the force maybe playing tricks on his mind.  He doesn't find out till the end of ROTS from Yoda that Jinn is actually able to communicate and stuff.

It's a possibility anyway.  It'll be interesting either way as to how they make it fit, or if they're simply not going to try anything at all to make it fit.  I've noticed TCW doesn't give much of a poo about anything that came before it.  Once again, all the more reason to just look at TCW as basically "just some more EU".
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 21, 2011, 12:23 AM »
Well, the EW article says that Qui-Gon appears to Obi-Wan in "visions." So it's possible, like you mentioned, Jesse, that Obi-Wan dismisses these as visions only, and doesn't believe that Qui-Gon actually communicated to him. That way, in ROTS, he's still surprised and all. It really depends on what card the TCW plays, as it's pretty much cast aside all established material on Mandalorians, Zabraks, and more...
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 21, 2011, 09:41 AM »

If Hasbro doesn't make an animated Qui-Gon figure, they're just crazy.

Personally I'd say it's a given they will.

Look at the Sidious figure as an example.

:)
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #321 on: January 22, 2011, 12:28 AM »
So some thoughts...

First, I thought the whole three-way fight between Ventress, Dooku, and Oppress was a bit rushed and odd, but whatever.  It was neat to watch.  It was even more rushed and weird adding Anakin and Obi-Wan into it all.  It almost felt unnecessary.

Loved seeing the Republic Commandoes, and I hope we see them a TON more.  My gf's son was just playing Republic Commandoes on the 360 the other day, and that game holds up great still.  I want to see them do a ton of ass whipping at some point. 

I really don't like TCW trying to jam Maul down our throats with the whole retelling of his species, basically.  In MY Star Wars world, Zabraks still come from their own world...  these Zabraks are just guys the Nightsisters sort of enslave and use for breeding stock or something.  I really dislike the whole retelling of that species though.  Hell, there's some of them on the council!  Twice!  It's goofy how basically TCW is jsut ignoring everything before it.  Some of it is explainable, but some of it I'm simply choosing to ignore at this point.

The surprise at the end?  Hmmm...  Didn't care for the EU story about that, don't care to see that smae EU story bullshitted in some capacity by one of Lucas' kids or whoever is writing that. 

Why not take some established EU and expand on it?  I'd love to see stuff like Outer Rim Sieges and things like that.  Things the EU touched on and which this series could really make expansive and deep story-wise.

The more Lucas gets involved, the more I fear this series will go down hill.  It's funny to me that the guy who created Star Wars is the last guy I want creating more Star Wars, at this point.  And I extend that to his kids.  This 3-episode arc wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing either, and it did some lame **** to boot.  That's kind of unacceptable, given the boring turd-fest we dealt with getting to this point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 22, 2011, 01:51 AM »
My only major criticism about this entire arc is that it threw aside pretty much all previously established canon material... and is now directly challenging one of the films (Episode I). And it's a shame to think that it was Lucas that involved himself in this and allowed it to happen. I understand the need to keep Star Wars fresh, but there just comes a point where you begin to ruin what was originally fine and dandy.

I thought Anakin and Obi-Wan's appearance in this episode was completely unnecessary, if not annoying (those jokes they told each other were starting to get on my nerves) - hell, save that for the next Savage-themed arc! Throwing them into the mix only took away time from the Ventress/Dooku/Savage duel, and Asajj's duel with Dooku was supposed to be one of the key elements of the arc - her trying to get revenge on Dooku.

I would say Asajj is pretty much done for the entire series, unless she somehow reconciles with the Count. Savage will probably make another arc, but I wouldn't count on him playing too big of a role next time.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #323 on: January 22, 2011, 02:34 AM »
BTW, My gf and I both laughed when they just zipped on board Dooku's Dreadnaught, and not one person was there to meet them, not one gun fired on them when approaching...  Nothing.  Lame.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 22, 2011, 04:06 AM »
BTW, My gf and I both laughed when they just zipped on board Dooku's Dreadnaught, and not one person was there to meet them, not one gun fired on them when approaching...  Nothing.  Lame.

I noticed that too - especially because it was Dooku's Dreadnaught! I could have understood if it was just any ordinary Separatist flagship - but the fact that Dooku was on it made it worse.

It's similar to the first episode of the arc, when Obi and Asajj are just able to crash their ships in the hangar of a Separatist cruiser so easily - no shields up, no droids, no "parked" Vulture Droids there, either...

Anyways, I'm pretty stoked for what was shown in next week's preview - possible visions of Ahsoka's future.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:10 AM by Jabba the Slug »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 22, 2011, 10:45 AM »
I liked the whole "Nightsisters" trilogy pretty well.  I didn't think it was as "oh my goodness" amazing as we seemed to hear in many reviews coming out of those theatrical screenings, but it was a definite improvement over poisoned juices and senate mumbo jumbo.  Personally, I thought the battle between Dooku/Ventress/Oppress was kind of neat.  The Oppress character is pretty cool too, but the main problem I have with him is his power levels are a bit crazy.

I've sort of felt the same, at times, about Cad Bane - as cool as I think he is.  It seems like they really want to make sure you know these new baddies are "bad ass" or something.  I can understand either of them being good fighters, and maybe even taking out some red-shirt Jedis or something, but as far as I'm concerned - particularly in the case of Bane - if they run across a Jedi the level of Windu, Kenobi, or Skywalker, they should be toast.  Same thing with Oppress.  Not only does he somewhat easily handle Kenobi and Skywalker at the same time, he also seemed to do pretty well against Dooku and Ventress, despite just "learning" the dark side very recently.  I suppose it has something to do the powering up the Nightsisters gave him and everything, but it seemed a little extreme.

Also, am I reading the ending wrong, or is that saying that Darth Maul is somehow alive?  It is funny to me how Lucas seems to be out of touch in a way with what the audience thinks will be cool.  He killed Fett off quickly in the OT, and then was surprised that he was so popular and has been trying to recapture that with AOTC, the Mandos/Pre Vizla in CW, etc.  Then, Maul is basically the best thing to come out of TPM and everyone seems to agree he's pretty cool, and he gets killed off quickly as well.  Now we have Oppress, more of the Zabrak species, and possibly the return of Darth Maul as well.

Overall, the arc was pretty cool, and again - if they are watching - I think kids would enjoy Oppress for what he is as well.  It was really cool seeing the Republic Commandos, and I hope we see more of them as well.  As far as treading on EU stuff, I guess I'm just not familiar enough with the majority of it to notice.  I know there are a lot of arguments for canon and all of that, but to me, the movies take first precedence, with the CW series second.  They are both involving the creator, Lucas, first hand and are also experienced by the largest audiences.  That's not saying there aren't great books, comics, etc - but seriously, it would get pretty difficult to reconcile all of that stuff without stepping on anything.  If it was written by someone other than Lucas or someone involved with the movies/animated series, I don't have as much of a problem with changes.  When they overwrite movies and what happened there, that is a bit different.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #326 on: January 22, 2011, 10:50 AM »
I liked the story as a whole, and it was light yeears beyond a lot of what we've seen lately.  I thought Obi-Wan and Anakin were shoe-horned in as a way to accelerate Ventress' plan, but that wasn't necessary.  Some time could have passed and it would have been nice to have seen Savage grow and Dooku to be completely comfortable with him.  As it was at the end, Dooku was like, 'whatever.' 

Maul being alive - you wouldn't know there's a re-release of Episode 1 coming next year or anything, with him and Qui-Gon suddenly back in the mix.  I think this show has honestly been a way of mending some of the missteps in the PT and Lucas clearly feels killing Maul was one of them.

I'll take a wait and see attitude, but I don't know what it gains to bring him back at all.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 22, 2011, 12:03 PM »
I really don't like TCW trying to jam Maul down our throats with the whole retelling of his species, basically.  In MY Star Wars world, Zabraks still come from their own world...  these Zabraks are just guys the Nightsisters sort of enslave and use for breeding stock or something.  I really dislike the whole retelling of that species though.  Hell, there's some of them on the council!  Twice!  It's goofy how basically TCW is jsut ignoring everything before it.  Some of it is explainable, but some of it I'm simply choosing to ignore at this point.

DId you miss Obi-Wan and Mace Windu's expositionary dialouge? Kenobi said he thought the Zabraks were from Iridonia; Mace replied Maul was raised on Dathomir, but the males of his species came from Irodonia. The ones on Dathomir are apparently a colony (they didn't use the word colony). It was delivered in an odd way, though, "the males of his species" part. We know there's female Zabraks. Saying "The males on Dathomir came from Iridonia" would've made more sense.

Do we know that's Maul at the end? Or it Maul's actual brother (like some us though Oppress was)? Why is Mother Talzin helping Oppress, what is her game? Oppress was the best of bunch of try-outs last episode, but now he has a destiny. Hmmm....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:22 PM by scockery »

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 22, 2011, 01:40 PM »
Do we know that's Maul at the end? Or it Maul's actual brother (like some us though Oppress was)? Why is Mother Towzin helping Oppress, what is her game? Oppress was the best of bunch of try-outs last episode, but now he has a destiny. Hmmm....

The Episode Guide for this episode confirms that it was Darth Maul at the end.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:40 PM by Jabba the Slug »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 22, 2011, 02:22 PM »
Oh, brother.

I though the spoilers that people who saw the theatrical showing were hiding was Ventress's demise (which I wrongly figured that was  sure thing for this arc). Turns out it was Maul.

Why didn't Dooku order Ventress's escape pod destroyed?

There were so many holes in the last act....easy entry on Dooku's ship by Anakin/Obi-Wan being another. Anakin getting his ass kicked despite being a chosen one. (Sith lords ain't your speciality, or Obi-Wan's).