Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149142 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #375 on: February 18, 2011, 09:05 AM »
I thought it was the other way around. The Corellian orphan rescues Chewie. Well, at least Chewie looks better than he did in ROTS. The ROTS costume didn't look anything like Chewbacca.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 18, 2011, 11:39 AM »
I was thinking of a young Han, but older Han supposedly saves Chewie from Imperial slavery. But you never know with Lucas changing things here and there. I guess Chewie and Tarkin will be in the same arc.

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 18, 2011, 01:16 PM »
Please no young Han Solo... Chewbaca in ROTS with Yoda (and now here on Clone Wars) was pushing it and I hope they don't go that far with Solo.  Something tells me they will eventually, however.  I am stoked about Tarkin in tonights episode, however :)
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 18, 2011, 01:36 PM »
I was thinking of a young Han, but older Han supposedly saves Chewie from Imperial slavery. But you never know with Lucas changing things here and there. I guess Chewie and Tarkin will be in the same arc.

Chewie is actually part of the 2 part finale season airing April 1st I believe. Tarkin is part of the new arc that begins tonight. Maybe he will show up as a semi-recurring character though, that would make sense.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 18, 2011, 01:47 PM »
You'd think Yoda would be the one with Chewbacca..."good relations with the wookies". But Yoda hasn't done squat all season, has he?

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 18, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Tarkin will be interesting as will seeing Even Piell for the first time in action.

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #381 on: February 18, 2011, 10:07 PM »
Wow!  A+++ tonight.  I want a CW Ugnaught!! 

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 18, 2011, 10:22 PM »
Good episode.

I found the carbonite scene was the most  ::) eye-rolling scene in a long time. Oh, yeah, we have a carbon freezing chamber right here on coruscant in our hanger...operated by an ugnaught...with lighting like that in Bespin's carbon freezing chamber.

Hey, maybe they can reissue that old playset for Clone Wars...sure it's not wholly accurate.

C-3PO appeared only for R2-translating exposition purposes.  I don't mind seeing him, but his scene could've handed to anyone, especially since he didn't have any stated reason to be where he was.

The prison commander was a bit "sinister looking alien with a creepy personality" stereotype they use a lot (at least he's not an anthropomorphic spider). Might make a good figure, though...if he even has a name.

Odd mix of Clones...the two ARCs (Echo and I forget the other one), Rex and Cody (doesn't he have an army to command?) and some inconsitently colored guys who are all doomed.

Tarkin talking smack right out the bat, Filoni, are you sure his role shoudn't have been assigned to Admiral Motti?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 19, 2011, 12:07 AM »
And carbon freezing didn't hurt a single one of them... nor much hibernation sickness. I guess only Han is fated to have that rare side-effect. I expected to see some anguished looks on their blocks. Plus wasn't carbon-freezing already used in one of the story lines? I know it was used in one of the kid's clone wars books that I perused at the library.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 19, 2011, 12:29 AM »
Citadel:

a smart way to justify the carbon freeze hibernation before esb is to think or write in sw databank that it was a procedure still in development at cw time. So, besides the contradictory more complex multi freeze chamber, what matters is the result (maybe a shorter period of hibernation guaranteed with that machine)

This also contradicts the stament of potf2 Freeze chamber Han; that Solo was the fisrt human frozen in carbonite, and Vader lines saying the machine is rudementary and the process had to be tested first on Solo. (Bizarre it was tested 30 years ago on him)

Tarkin looked very rots Tarkin, but they intended to imitate Cushing´s diction. Something of the character missed, like his presence. I know, the character is in evolution.

They have accomplish very well the explosions of the corridors, mimicking some Episode I scenes of the doomed battle droids.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:31 AM by EpicGon »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #385 on: February 19, 2011, 03:16 AM »
Wow!  A+++ tonight.  I want a CW Ugnaught!! 

Screw the Ugnaught, I want CW Tarkin!  ;D  :-*

Seriously though this was a great episode tonight.  Tarkin's sinister side seems apparant even without him being involved a lot.  I like that he and Anakin argue...  It reminded me of ANH, though come ANH Tarkin seems to have the upper-hand in rank to a degree.

I like that they said Tarkin's memorized half of them as did a Jedi master (who I thought was LONG dead?).  It sort of shows his intelligence I think. 

The whole set-up was great though...  The Citadel reminds me of Imperial Prison from Dark Forces.  If you haven't seen that prison, here's the deal...  It's a secluded prison on a desolate planet.  It's the Empire's max security place for traitors and such.  Crix Madine's there and you (Kyle Katarn) are to get him out because he's got some info on the Darktrooper project, blah blah blah.

Anyway the prison is similar looking to the Citadel...  It really is cool, and I cannot imagine they didn't at least take some isnpiration from that.

Then the details...  The lasers and cameras in the episode are like an enhanced version of what we saw in ANH's detention block ya know?  It's like that's what you wish you'd seen in the movie, how the gun ports shot in specific arcs to lock people in and keep others out, while maybe killing folks attempting to run away.

Even the freaky guy running the prison was really cool and not over-the-top. 

Color me really impressed.  Even my gf liked this episode, and she's sort of souring on Star Wars these days.  :-[  It's pretty slick how this episode worked out though and it looks like it has a lot of cool stuff to go in episode 2 for this arc.  I can't wait.

And Tarkin just rocks...  Plus it sort of explained a good reason to use Carbonite too, when they said what they're carrying.  Wasn't it like frozen food?  Carbonite's the Star Wars cooler on wheels I guess.

To last week's episode (also just got to watch this), I liked it well enough...  That 3-story arc was really more for the die-hard fans I think, and even then it was losing me a little bit.  It was too trippy.  It still didn't make much sense to me really.  And my "They wake up from a dream" joke was a little prophetic... :-\  It was like the end of the Newhart Show.  I kinda got an inkling that was coming when the bright light kicked in and stuff.

I will say, and I think someone mentioned this and I totally didn't get it because I didn't watch the episode last week (stupid Toy Fair!), but basically I really think Hasbro should've included the fold-up Jedi Rascal Scooters with the new Republic Shuttle.  I actually would be more inclined to want it if they included folding speeder accessories. :)  Here's to hoping Hasbro makes those as a pack-in to an Obi and Ani at some point because I REALLY liked those.  They just made sense on many levels.

Anyway, great episode tonight...  Last 3, eh...  Not bad, but weird.  Tonight, total redemption.  Worth the wait, and barely any build-up.  Surprising.  Tonight's was the Landing at Point Rain of season 3.  Hat's off.

And NO young Han Solo.  Please.  I like Han's backstory as it is...  ex-Imperial, saves Chewie during his early time in the Empire and not during the Clone Wars as what I'd guess would be a kid.  I really don't want them going there.  Chewbacca's bad enough that he's turning up in the life of Anakin again through Ahsoka.  I'd rather he hung out with Yoda or something since that's at least established already.

Looking forward to next week bigtime.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #386 on: February 19, 2011, 07:40 AM »
And carbon freezing didn't hurt a single one of them... nor much hibernation sickness. I guess only Han is fated to have that rare side-effect. I expected to see some anguished looks on their blocks. Plus wasn't carbon-freezing already used in one of the story lines? I know it was used in one of the kid's clone wars books that I perused at the library.

The lack hibernation sickness can be explained away because they were all frozen for a short time. Han was frozen for months.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 19, 2011, 11:08 AM »
The lack hibernation sickness can be explained away because they were all frozen for a short time. Han was frozen for months.

This

Citadel episode was a return to Classic SW storyline style.

Any story can be picked apart with the right or wrong approach but this was a more "honest" story IMO.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #388 on: February 19, 2011, 11:46 AM »
The good:

The reasoning behind using carbonite. 

Echo and Fives!

Tarkin!

Old fashioned SW fun.

We're seeing indirect impact of Anakin's fear of losing Ahoska on her development (also explains why she's not always around).

The bad:

The carbonite process apparently works just fine on people, so why the concern in Empire?  It works so well that it made the entire process too easy.  They basically walk in to the prison.  Some clones die inside, but it would have been more dramatic if the carbonite process failed in some cases or left some of them unable to continue.

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 19, 2011, 12:21 PM »
That was a fun episode. 

On one hand, the story wasn't completely original as it has a basic premise we've seen in many previous episodes throughout the series: Anakin, Obi Wan, Asoka, and the clones getting sent to rescue a Jedi holding some sort of valuable information we've never heard of before (but on which the whole fate of the galaxy rests) in some sort of impenetrable location.  On the other hand, the episode brought in new - and old - characters and works to set up the key relationship between Anakin/Vader and Tarkin in ANH, which I liked 8)

The whole Citadel interior really reminded me of the Death Star Detention Block from ANH more than anything else (and it was kind of fitting to see Tarkin in that setting).  I kept waiting for someone to blast a hole in a wall and all our heroes go sliding into the garbage chute :P

Nice to see Phase II armor appearing more often on Clones as well, even now some of the main ones.

My biggest beef with the episode was the carbon freezing thing.  It was just too thrown in there and too cheesy.  Don't they already have scanner-proof compartments that they could hide in like on the Falcon?  In ESB, Lando and even Vader expressed too much concern over the process of freezing a person in carbonite (heck, Vader didn't want Luke damaged by carbon freezing, so he tested it on Han Solo - and there was surprise that he lived) yet this episode made it seem as though the process was completely routine, harmless, normal, and that one could have a carbon freezing chamber (complete with Ugnaut) right in their own hanger.  In some respects, the carbon freezing sequence in this CW episode diminishes the drama and danger of the carbon freezing scene from ESB, which was always one of the most emotionally powerful of any scene in the Star Wars saga, at least in my opinion. 

I did, however, like the wisecrack about not wanting to wind up as a wall decoration ;)   

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D