Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread  (Read 149422 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Three Discussion Thread
« Reply #465 on: April 1, 2011, 10:37 PM »
Padawan Lost and Wookie Hunt. (I won't write their x-rated parody names in my head)

Barely there Turbo Tank cameo! Felucia! Yay! Dwarf Spider Droids (time for an updated one, Hasbro!)

Jedi don't kill out of anger. Even if the dude will be trying to kill you again later?

Racist episode, all-in-all. Reptilian aliens once again portrayed as cruel killers and mammalians as noble creatures.

Seriously, Bossk is some how the more civilized of his kind? (Gha Nachkt moreso, at least he was just a treacherous junk dealer)

Takeel died...maybe he'll be edited out of the 3D ANH. Okay, okay...all Sniviians look alike.

Sort of a cop out that Chewbacca was the only prisoner on that landing ship, like we needed to know that Ahsoka and company didn't accidently kill anyone.

Chewbacca sure likes to toss people off of high places.

Plo Koon gets to offer the sage wisdom while Yoda is silent. I'm not complaining, forget that little green snot. Plo is the man.

Problem with this two parter...I saw it last year in theaters as PREDATORS. Also, we did the Ahsoka on the run from pursuers in the last arc. Replace droids with Trandoshans, warden with head Trandoshan, clones with younglings, Even Piel with Chewbacca. Maybe they should've spaced out some of the arcs more.

Really an odd season where previous bad-guy poster boy Grievous appears like once. Also, once again, I'm blown away with their follow up on Death Watch.  :P

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 1, 2011, 10:57 PM »
TOP-freaking-NOTCH!

I thought they ended on a great high note. The episodes never felt dull or tedious and there was a genuine sense of pathos.

I thought Chewie came off fine. You can't go wrong using Peter Mayhew really. Ahsoka continues to grow and impress. What happened to her lightsabers though? Did she drop them on Felucia or did the Trannies get them? Would have been nice if she could have recovered them from the wreckage.

The finales are usually good toy fodder episodes and these should be no different:

The Hover Pod is a no-brainer, I just wonder if they would do it proper in the midsize vehicle line or try to squeeze it down to the Deluxe assortment. I'm guessing the former. Pretty sweet with the big gun and the hand-painted deco.

Trandoshan Battle Pack - Dar, The Main Dude, and maybe 1-2 other nameless thugs with big guns. Oh yes.

Wookie Battlepack - Just because they can. Chewie repack and some repainted commando wookies. Check.

Sugi, yes Sugi. That was her giving the Wookies a lift, and this was at least her 3rd episode so far. You gotta give us some Sugi, Hasbro!

Bounty Hunter Assault Ship - Also the 2nd or 3rd appearance now. Aside from the Jedi T-6 shuttle, there's not a lot of other good candidates for vehicles in the line right now. This is a great one. It's been done by Lego already too. I'd rather see it in the Deluxe ship assortment, done right with some heft and scale, but that would probably push it out to next year if at all.

Agreed it was an uneven season, but there were some great episodes in there and I for one loved the Mortis arc for trying something different and "out there". The scenes from next season looked pretty awesome too - underwater Mon Calamari battles!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 2, 2011, 12:03 AM »
Trannies stealing lightsabers...I heard that happened at San Diego Comic Con 2009.
  ;)

I'm curious why the wookies need a bounty hunter ship, they don't have their own? Reuse existing characters and ship models...that's why. Answered my own question...wheee.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 2, 2011, 10:16 AM »
Ackbar comes for season 4 as an anphibious guy
more duels: Dooku, jedi, Grievous; as they are changing timeline I hope they modify the boring cliché of Anakin never see Grievous, that would be challeging. Make them fight Filoni´s team

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 2, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Was that MeruMeru and Tarrful in the wookie rescue squad?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 2, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Very cool pair of episodes to end Season 3 of Clone Wars.  The Trandoshans were pretty badass and made for some great villains!  And their distress call to one another?  Did anyone else make the connection with Jurassic Park 3, when the velociraptors were calling to each other?  As for the plot, the whole scenario was definitely reminiscent of the Predator storylines.  All of the trophies definitely elicited that kind of tone.  The wampa and gundark trophies were among my personal favorites!

Chewbacca was classic.  I think there was an expectation that since this was the Clone Wars that he would be stomping some Trandoshans, which he did.  Although I was disappointed that he did not actually rip out the arms of any of the Trandoshans.  Chalk that one up to it being a kids show.  But I like the fact that Filoni managed to show that Chewie as a character has depth, and he made a point of showing that he's intelligent and a mechanical genius.  And because of that Chewbacca managed to call in the Wookiee cavalry.  I'm guessing that was Tarfful flying in with the Wookiees, and adding in Sugi and the bounty hunter ship was a nice callback.  Sugi called him General, and that title had only been used with Tarfful when it comes to the Wookiees.

The one thing I had been hoping for with the finale just did not come to pass.  They set up this whole storyline with Savage Oppress going on a quest to find Darth Maul.  Granted, this episode was about Ahsoka's growth as a Jedi, and how she is steadily growing less dependent on her Jedi master, Anakin.  The younglings were a cool group of companions for Ahsoka since she was finally on equal footing with some other Jedi.  

Maybe I'm just too used to some series ending their seasons with a cliffhanger.  But I really think that with all the time they invested in the Savage Oppress storyline, his quest for Darth Maul could have been fodder for a GREAT cliffhanger.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2011, 05:22 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #471 on: April 4, 2011, 02:21 AM »
Some thoughts I had on the finale...

-Trandoshans get alllllllllll da ladies.  Jockin' the Wookiees and slappin' da ho's, that's livin' Trandoshan style.

These guys were very Predator obviously, but I still liked them.  They've always been written this way, actually, and that the hunt is just part of their culture, so it was really neat seeing this in action with their kind of hethan dancing around a fire and stuff.

-LOVE LOVE LOVE the pelts/trophies...  It was a little gruesome, and it's also something some EU has done in the past, and it was too awesome to see it in the show.

-Did anyone else notice how true to the Republic Commando game the Trandoshans were?  Their looks, their costumes, and even the pump shotgun-style blaster?  I really appreciated that they expanded on the RC Game's interpretation of Trandoshan Slavers from the game.

-I liked Yoda silently watching Anakin & Ahsoka...  And I liked Plo Koon recognizing Anakin's overly attached nature with his padawan.  Again, more foreshadowing on Anakin's view of himself and how things play out, but it's really neat to see it pertain in an important way to the main character and his future.

-The droid fort was kind of dumb...  You have nothing to fire back with?  Seriously?

-I'm curious what happens to the rescued Younglings and are they taken in and their training continued?

-The weird appearance of the Bounty Hunters in their ship makes you thinkt hey have some broader role to play at some point, which may pertain to why they're in this area anyway.  Just seemed odd that they were there like a taxi service, so I'm just assuming there is more to that.  Surely Wookiee's have their own ships in some capacity.

Overall though, I liked the finale...  I thought it was cool, and I liked Chewbacca more.  I wish we could've seen some kind of interaction with Ahsoka, Yoda, and Chewbacca, so we could've seen the tie-in to ROTS when Yoda says he has good relations with them and will go lead their defense.  It just would've been nice to see why/how he got involved with them, and if Ahsoka helped that along or whatnot, thanks to her helping Chewbacca.

I thought the Trandoshans were a little too tough for my liking...  I also thought it was very stupid when Ahsoka doesn't let that youngling kill the Trandoshan.  Maybe it was the way the girl was doing it, but still it was sort of meh because you're not in a situation where taking prisoners is an option really, and killing to defend yourself is completely fair I like to think.

Anyway, great finale I thought.  I'll be jonesin' for more, but it's nice having Summer off from the series.  I like the schedule they're on.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #472 on: April 4, 2011, 10:53 PM »
So on the latest commentary, I saw Dave Filloni addressed specifically why the Wookiees hire the Bounty Hunters to take them to the hunting planet...  Wow, I don't like their logic on that.

First, part of Chewbacca's mythos has always been that, originally, the Ewoks were intended to be Wookiees but were replaced to the Ewoks because Chewbacca had established WOokiees as an intelligent, advanced species.

In ROTS, we see Wookiees have developed their own technology...  They have their own style of speeders, they have their own blasters...  They have their own computers and gear... 

Chewbacca's completely capable of fixing one of the most modified, least stock ships in the galaxy probably.  He can rebuild a droid.  He can fly Imperial ships and Han even mentions the lack of design with Chewie's species in mind (kind of makes you think someone might be designing stuff with Wookiee physiology in mind though).

The Wookiees have the pod Yoda used, which I would assume got Yoda pretty far.

Then...  Wookiees are in the friggin' senate, far from Kashyyyk, represented in the galaxy's largest political body. 

That just seems like horrible reasoning all around to me then, that the Wookiees would use outside help to travel anywhere on their planet.  To me, most advanced species would buy their equipment from outside sources and use it or they'd build/design their own.  I don't know, I just find the whole concept of them needing a lift everywhere they go as a little silly.  The Wookiees hardly seem like a species that would remain that dependant.  To each their own I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 8, 2011, 02:09 PM »
I was just looking at the Episode Guide for "Wookiee Hunt", and didn't realize that one of the trophies in the Trandoshan's ship was a very familiar looking crystal skull - kind of a neat easter egg.  I guess I missed it on the initial viewing.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 9, 2011, 10:16 PM »
I agree, it's silly that Wookie would have  energy weapons, escape pods and helicopters but not even interplanetary shuttles (not having massive space cruisers, I could believe, but something interstellar/hyperdrive capabile hardly seems out of character).

I was just looking at the Episode Guide for "Wookiee Hunt", and didn't realize that one of the trophies in the Trandoshan's ship was a very familiar looking crystal skull - kind of a neat easter egg.  I guess I missed it on the initial viewing.

Trandoshans can hunt in the spaces between spaces.  :o

« Last Edit: April 9, 2011, 10:18 PM by scockery »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 10, 2011, 02:27 AM »
The reasoning about the Wookiees not having their own starships sounded pretty ridiculous.  Some of the EU backstory for the battle on Kashyyyk in REVENGE OF THE SITH was that the Wookiees were masters of hyperspace navigation, and the Seperatists were trying to capture the Hyperspace route data.  The site of the battle, the tree city of Kachirho, was home to the Claatuvac Guild which kept the hyperspace navigation data. 

It just seems ludicrous that the Wookiees would be at the forefront of hyperspace navigation, but not have their own starships.  My own theory on this particular choice in the storyline of Wookiee Hunt?  It was about keeping the design and animation costs down.  Dave Filoni has said in some behind the scenes videos that the animation team tries to re-use some models when possible.  Sugi's ship had previously been seen in a show, but not utilized.  The animation team had to make some modifications to that model in order to make it work for the show.  But that was no doubt a cheaper alternative than designing a Wookiee starship from the ground up and THEN animating it.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #476 on: April 18, 2011, 08:52 PM »

Recently our own Jim was at Pittsburgh Comic-Con and got to talk with Sam Witwer some about his Star Wars tie-ins, including his work on The Clone Wars Season 3 Mortis Trilogy, as "The Son". 

He also makes mention about next season, and his potential return...  in one form or another. :)

Read the Interview Here

And thanks to Jim for taking the time to go do this on his weekend.

Offline Jimree

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 19, 2011, 02:48 AM »
It was alot of fun to get out there and meet him. I talked to him even longer than the interview, about his new show Being Human and about being a Huge Star Wars fan and being cast in such an awesome role. He was a real great person to talk to.

Thanks,
Jim
Member of PA Star Wars Collecting Society
Twitter - @Jawa_Jim
Instagram - Jawa_Jim

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 24, 2011, 06:39 PM »
I was never able to find the video commentary explaining why the Wookies didn't have their own ships - what was Filoni's explanation to it?
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #479 on: April 25, 2011, 11:53 AM »
I was never able to find the video commentary explaining why the Wookies didn't have their own ships - what was Filoni's explanation to it?

"Wookiee Hunt" Commentary

Filoni -
"it felt strange that Wookiees would have deep-space vehicles"
"it seemed to be against their culture to have something that progressive"

Despite his video, I still agree with what Nick said 1 page back- it probably had more to do with the fact that it was cheaper to tweak an existing ship model than building a whole new ship model for the wookiees, so they came up with a nice "oh, the wookiees don't have ships" story to distract you from realizing that. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender