Author Topic: Walrus Man  (Read 22019 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Walrus Man
« on: May 9, 2010, 05:55 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
Re: Walrus Man
« Reply #1 on: May 9, 2010, 11:36 PM »
totally different, the vintage one depicted as a diver, the saga version with the correct colors of the character.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:06 AM »
Yeah this one is a doozy.

Vintage one took lots and lots of liberties with webbed feet and a green head!  They at least got the face fairly close and the orange "coat".  I never really cared for Walrus Man like I did Hammerhead or even Greedo.  He was probably last on my Cantina Monster list of coolness.

Modern Ponda is a mess and it is really cool to here an update is coming.  I hope they give us:

Bloody Stump
Swappable Flipper/Furry Hands
More articulation

The head sculpt on this is pretty much spot on (which I think is the Saga Cantina Set from Wally World)...this one does have a "removable arm" but I think it was more of a articulation point than anything. 

BTW, we were just talking about how messed up the Prequels were and are with details...someone seriously needs to be flogged for letting this happen to the Aqualish:

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:22 AM »
Yeah, EU's got something like they're just different races of the same species...  the whole "Spider" thing takes away from the whole "Walrus" thing though.

What's there to say really?  The vintage figure was weird, maybe among the weirdest, and the modern figure's a pile of ****.

I can't say I was a vintage Ponda fan, but the flipper feet are funny.

The modern figure...  Well, actually at the one time it was alright, but that one time was really a while ago at this point, and so he really doesn't stack up at all.  No holster, the removable arm's clunky at best, poor accessory, sad articulation...  The sculpt's bulky but not attrocious to me.  Just bulky.  The deco kind of matches.

I'm sure this figure could be made today looking insanely crisp, lots of folds and wrinkles to those pleather jackets (look at Ceremony Luke, and that's the level a new Ponda could reach).  I too am anxious for a new figure...  He and Dr. Evazan are just a notch below Garrouf Lafoe and Bom Vimdin to me on the Cantina figures I want list.  Evazan's actually probably above  the latter two mentioned to me even, and he's a resculpt.

ANH's still a wealth of new and resculpted figures I think...  That's a trough I'd go back to a lot right now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 12:37 AM »
Vintage Walrus Man was really one of my favorites...I remember hearing that Cantina Alien figures were coming, and really hoping for the band...I was kind of disappointed by who we got instead, but whatever. Walrus Man was always a buffoon in my stories, and I remember he would get called "Buttface" a lot. The joke was on everyone else, though, if there was some swimming to do!

We definitely need a modern update of this guy and his partner Evazan. Even the Cantina Bar retool is pretty crappy now. And let's not forget the total suck that was the disco posed version form the first Cantina Cinema Scene. I think I threw it away as soon as I opened the set!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:09 PM by Muftak »

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 11:16 AM »
Good old Buttface.  It will be nice to see a new version.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Anyone else automatically think he was tub fodder? He was a go-to tub toy.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 12:11 PM »
I hope we get a modern flipper version.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Yeah, the vintage version did always seem a little wonky.  There were always a few liberties taken with some of those vintage figures, but Walrusman might be the winner in that area.  Like others, I haven't been too impressed with the modern ones either and I'm really glad an all-new one is on the way.  I've said it before, but Hasbro has come a long way with sculpting/detail and articulation, so they could really knock this one out of the park with the upcoming release (next year?).

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 12:30 PM »
Anyone else automatically think he was tub fodder? He was a go-to tub toy.

For sure! Your post made me laugh because it's so true.

When I played with him I always grabbed brown Play-Doh and made him crap out of his face. That was his secret weapon, he crapped on you. I spent hours laughing at this figure everytime I saw him. People thought I was a deranged kid but man I had so much fun with him. I also used him as a pet for Skeletor, he was like a underling fetch monkey.

I agree what they did to the Aqualish in the prequels was a head scratcher. I am not down with the Spider thing and the extra eyes. It's typical George Lucas tinkering too much  (His hackishness has really came to light in recent years and you can now see it was the people around him that made SW what it is but I digress)
"Aqualish" suggests water. I always thought of a grunting Walrus minus the tusks with this guy. After all his name was Walrus Man and his movie lines were very "walrussy".

I am really looking forward to the very long overdue upcoming update to this very iconic character. I want to get rid of this older figure but this character is too scene essential so I am holding on to him until the new one. I just hope they do no overdue the details and maintain some of the muppetness of the low budget mask as seen in ANH. (I am sure in the upcoming Blue Ray Trilogy the Flanneled beardo will go back and add eyes to him. But they will still not correct Obi-Wan's disappearing Lightsaber)
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 11:41 PM »
He always kinda looked like he was eating a baby...and the last part he was swallowing was it's ass!

It's amazing how goofy some of the vintage figures look next to the actual likeness in the movie, but Walrusman is still a treasured part of my collection.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 07:37 AM »

Still holding out hope for a super freaky Kenner Cantina boxset...but the new Walrusman is really nice!

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 2, 2011, 10:35 AM »
Well I always liked having Walrusman to play with when I was a kid.  I HAD to have that figure.  I would love having Kenobi beat-up poor Walrusman.  I hated Walrusman when I was kid because he picked on Luke "FOR NO GOOD REASON!!!"  Ha-ha!   So, in my play time Kenobi would not only slice off Walrusman's arm but he would beat Walrusman to a pulp.  You mess with Luke like that and you get a beating from Obi-Wan.  That's just the way it was in my play world.  I was sensitive about poor Luke  :D

Anyway, I actually liked the POTF version when it first came out.  I think because we finally got a somewhat accurate looking version.  I know, I know.  It's POTF buff but at least the colors were correct when compared to the original version.  I'm really looking forward to getting two of the upcoming Ponda Baba.  One to open and the other to keep on the vinty card. 

I never knew about the flipper hands until last year when someone post pics of it.  That's good they are including them I suppose.  I will probably just keep with "regular" hands though.  Someone showed a behind the scenes photo of his head being sliced off as well as his arm.  That would have been interesting!  Maybe Lucas will have an alternate scene in the Blu-Rays with that? 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #13 on: March 2, 2011, 11:04 AM »
Someone showed a behind the scenes photo of his head being sliced off as well as his arm.  That would have been interesting!

Yeah, that was me.

Grody to the max!
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 2, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Is that effect dude smoking a pipe (or at least holding one in his mouth)?  Between that and the beard it's the sweet, rockin' 1970s!  White pants, long hair.  Oh man, he's off to the disco after work. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.