Author Topic: Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot  (Read 22606 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:18 PM »
Vintage Pilot Luke gets my vote for worst Vintage figure ever made, specifically because of the head/face. Never been a fan.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:42 PM »
Vintage Pilot Luke gets my vote for worst Vintage figure ever made, specifically because of the head/face. Never been a fan.

Yeah - he totally looks NOTHING like Luke - since there was never a Wedge figure made, I always used to pretend that this figure was Wedge instead of Luke. It was better than not having a Wedge figure.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:20 PM »
After the smiling Luke Hasbro could think in releasing an anh pilot Luke without gloves, with hands in flesh like Mark Hamill on the photo.

I think the vtsc Luke pilot could be updated, perhaps a bit taller, swivel articulation and another body sculpt.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:26 PM »
When I first got back into SW collecting, vintage was all there was, and I stocked up on XW Lukes to do some repainting/customizing.  Removable helmets were fun tests of my earlier dremel skills, and giving the helmets paintjobs like Wedge's or generic blue emblems was fun stuff.

Luke made a decent army builder then in, in that regard, at that time.

VTSC Luke is, to me, pretty perfect...  A new headsculpt is all I'd do.

VTSC Luke Pilot is short because Luke Skywalker was short...  So I see no need to heighten him any.  The likeness is the only real question, which I'm not against the likeness we have even.  I'd dig seeing a dirtier helmet like the POTJ one, as that's quite accurately decorated. 

Color me pretty pleased with VTSC Luke and considering that one done though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:15 AM »
I too used the vintage Luke as a wedge figure so I could have more rebels.

The only change I'd make to the modern Luke is the correct lightsaber hilt.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:47 AM »
Looking at him now, I agree Vintage Luke X-Wing sucks.  The body sculpt is actually pretty detailed for a pre 1980 figure.  But the head/hair combo is terrible, not sure if they were trying to make goggles or whatAll that said, back when he came out I was super excited to get him.   

Funny story, my folks didn't have tons of cash, they did buy me some figures and I had all of the original ANH and most of the ESB figures.  But none of the vehicles...so...being a semi creative kid but not really high on imagination I used a rock for Luke to fly around on.  A rock.  I mean it was a nice piece of granite and it was vaguely shaped like a X-wing nose but looking back I really can't believe I did that

I like VTSC Luke too, the helmet is way too white but that is sort of picking nits to me...I've got a bunch in lots of different scenes...leaving for Dagobah in ROTJ, and the ANH scenes

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:03 AM »
Modern Luke needs to be taller.  His short legs makes him look like he has long ape arms.  It's silly that the old school one is taller. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 11:21 AM »
Was always one of our favorites. Had more than one and used them as generic pilots. I have about 10 now.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 03:01 PM »
vtsc Luke Pilot received an update in Tlc saga legends, with a more detailed paintjob for the helmet, the other details were minimum, different hair color, lighter jumpsuit.

Although naif, the vintage Luke pilot spotted a detailed texture of the white vest, perhaps an effort of evolution in toys developping for the late 70īs.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 10:43 PM »
I always assumed the black "thingees" under the helmet were pushed up goggles. Now that you mention hair it's all I can see...sort of like one of those kissing couple/candlestick optical illusions.

I wish I had thought to make mine stand in for Wedge when I was a kid. I got X-Wing Luke alomg with most of the rest of this set (at a Rizzo toy store at the mall...I still remember the strong smell of the plastic bag my mom carried them in as we continued to shop. I kept popping my face in there to look at them all.) Got a second one a few years later on an ESB card. Man, that one could've been Wedge!

I'm satisfied with the VTSC Luke...small quibble is that his shoulders are a little bulky, and Hasbro has used it as a generic body too many times when Young Luke ought to be unique in his short stature. I was so happy with it, in fact, that I got a spare of the Vintage version, and was only too happy to get it redecoed in the Droid Factory 2-pack (Though I would've been ecstatic to get the grinning head variant at that time.)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 01:06 PM »
I always looked at the vintage Luke as sort of "generic Rebel pilot" as well, at least as a kid.  Didn't look much like Luke, not that the vintage figures were always great about likenesses anyways.  That being said, I always liked the figure for some reason as well - and did use it as Luke :).  As far as the modern version, I think the VTSC (and its several re-releases) is about perfect.  Little things - already mentioned - could be tweaked, but largely it is very well done.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 01:37 AM »
One of the weird things about Luke, to me anyway, is he was one of those first things you tried customizing...

When I started that sub-hobby to collecting, there was no modern line, and so doing a removable helmet Luke was what you started.  It was what you honed your skills with a rotary tool on.  Many a cut thumb and forefinger on my left hand as I tried using that non-variable-speed-tool to hollow out a helmet, and then attach a Luke head (or generic heads for generic rebels).

There are some "basic" figures everyone tried first I think, or were their immediate wants and attempts at least, and Removable helmet X-Wing Luke (and others) were up there.  Scanner Technicians, Fleet Troopers, black DS Troopers, Tarkin, Han Stormtrooper, Sandtrooper...  There were just an assortment of figures you tried immediately in the vintage world, and X-Wing Luke just spawned those memories. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Glitch

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 02:34 PM »
vtsc Luke Pilot received an update in Tlc saga legends, with a more detailed paintjob for the helmet, the other details were minimum, different hair color, lighter jumpsuit.

Yep, it was a repack of the Walmart Droid Factory two pack that came with the damaged R2.  One of the more noticeable changes was the color update of the hanging leg straps from gray to silver - which actually works when compared to the real costume.  The added details on the helmet and the change in face and hair color really help as well.

Definitely the the better version of the modern Luke X-Wing Pilot figures.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 06:40 PM »

It may very well be on eof the worst figures int he vintage line.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"