Author Topic: DC Universe Classics  (Read 43301 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2008, 11:42 AM »
Aftimes has started previewing some loose shots of DCUC Wave 6 (among other things like the Starfire/Adam Strange 2 pack and some Infinite Heroes stuff).  So far, Hawkman and Killer Moth are up.  I'm particularly impressed with the Hawkman figure, I think that looks pretty nice.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2008, 01:35 PM »
Based on those pics, Kalibak is a bit smaller then I thought he was going to be.  And that's actually a good thing.  I had a fear that Kalibak was going to be as big as Lobo, and I don't think he should be that big.

Now I've just got to track these guys down.  Yeah, I know they're not out yet.  But this whole line of figures is impossible to find.  It would be nice to get my hands on wave 5 as well.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2008, 12:06 PM »
Reading through the forums over at AFI, and it looks like Mattel is gauging collector reaction to some potential 2-packs for 2009 (including some harder to find figures from DCSH).  They have offered them to online retailers to see the preorder numbers (you can see a pic of the Batman/Clayface pack at BBTS).  Anyways, here's the proposed lineup (more details at the AFI linky):
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Batman vs Clayface

Batman will be in his black and gray costume with "mud splatter" effects. Clayface will be an exact reissue of this hard to find figure.

Superman vs Brainiac

This is proposed as a standard Superman figure (Eradicator head on the Wave 6 Superman body with red heat vision eyes) vs. Classic Brainiac (green head) with an all new head and coller piece. Brainic will come armed with Luthor's gun from the 2007 figure.

Supergirl vs. Luthor

This will be a reissue of the Blue outfit Kara Supergirl and the power suit Lex, but perhapes with a little surprise in the accessories!

Golden Age Hawk Pack

Two new figures to start your golden age collection.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They don't sound too bad to me really, taking into consideration that most of the 2 packs will usually contain a repacked/"tweaked" figure.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2008, 12:11 PM »
Reading through the forums over at AFI, and it looks like Mattel is gauging collector reaction to some potential 2-packs for 2009 (including some harder to find figures from DCSH).  They have offered them to online retailers to see the preorder numbers (you can see a pic of the Batman/Clayface pack at BBTS).  Anyways, here's the proposed lineup (more details at the AFI linky):
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Batman vs Clayface

Batman will be in his black and gray costume with "mud splatter" effects. Clayface will be an exact reissue of this hard to find figure.

Superman vs Brainiac

This is proposed as a standard Superman figure (Eradicator head on the Wave 6 Superman body with red heat vision eyes) vs. Classic Brainiac (green head) with an all new head and coller piece. Brainic will come armed with Luthor's gun from the 2007 figure.

Supergirl vs. Luthor

This will be a reissue of the Blue outfit Kara Supergirl and the power suit Lex, but perhapes with a little surprise in the accessories!

Golden Age Hawk Pack

Two new figures to start your golden age collection.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They don't sound too bad to me really, taking into consideration that most of the 2 packs will usually contain a repacked/"tweaked" figure.

These sound awful.  I will pass on all of them.  Since when are Batman and Superman hard to find figures from DCSH?  They should re-release Catwoman, Batgirl, Nightwing, etc.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2008, 12:13 PM »
Yeah, I guess I'm just used to the fact that its likely we'll get repacks in many of these 2 packs - and probably Batman/Superman much of the time at that.  I think the main appeal of these are supposed to be the harder to find figures like Clayface, Supergirl, and Lex Luthor - as well as the new/changed Brainiac and Superman/Batman figures.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2008, 04:51 PM »
I would be all for these, if I thought I would have any better luck finding them then I do any other DCUC stuff.  Would love to get the Clayface.  But I would also like to get some of the current 2-packs (mongul/Cyborg supes being the main one), but haven't found them.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2008, 09:29 AM »
It wasn't completely clear from his post, but it almost sounded (via ToyGuru's post on AFI) that these would be more of an "online only" thing right now.  They are using preorders to gauge collector interest, and I don't know that anything has been said about seeing these at retail (at least not yet).

I know what you're saying about finding any DCUC stuff at retail.  Its been rare - if ever - that I've seen anything outside of some Wave 1 figures at retail around here.  I saw most of Wave 2 one time at TRU, most of Wave 3 (one time, aside from Green Lantern) once at Target, and I saw most of Wave 4 once at TRU as well.  I've pretty much ordered complete sets for those waves, and now that online retailers have preorders for individual figures, I've pretty much gone that route.  It can be enough of a headache to keep up and find Star Wars at retail without stressing about DCUC.  If I hadn't preordered this past year's figures, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to find them.  You'd have to almost hit stores non-stop - if they even show up at all.  The only trouble is the retailer exclusives waves (like the current WM wave, which hasn't shown here at all).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2008, 12:41 PM »
Would love to get the Clayface. 

You can always come over to my house and look at mine :P  I still can't believe I left the Catwoman figure from that wave behind or that the only figure missing on the pegs was Two-Face :-\

Either way, we're screwed in Canada after the butcher job Mattel did with the shipping to TRU of continuous Superman/Bizarro/Supergirl boxes and nothing new (well, I did find Azrael, once).  If I were them I wouldn't touch the line ever, regardless of the promises. 

I do understand the need to keep Superman/Batman on the pegs, but I also agree with Justin that there really is no shortage of these figures.  Releasing two packs of figures people couldn't find would be more productive for the collector segment of the market (obviously not the primary concern).  Two packs of villains would be well received anyway and they could re-release heroes in single pack format. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2008, 03:17 PM »
Cripes, release a 2-pack Catwoman and Batgirl and see how that sells DC!  I relaly don't think toy manufacturers are paying attention. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2008, 04:16 PM »
Speaking of the TRU 2-packs, what are they going for at retail?  I'm resigned to the fact that I will never see them, but do want to get a few.  I was checking ebay for prices on the mongul/cyborg supes one, and was stunned to see they they are going for $35-$40. 

I thought that the two pack re-release would be good for bringing prices down, but that seems really high still.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2008, 04:17 PM »
Would love to get the Clayface. 

You can always come over to my house and look at mine :P 

Eventually the Clayface will be mine.  He's just too cool looking to not get.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2008, 11:36 AM »
For anyone still looking for Wave 2, we were at Target this weekend and I was surprised to see a full set of this wave on the pegs (with Modern Aquaman).  There hadn't been anything new at our Target for the DCUC line for ages (just the same Etrigan on the pegs) - so it might be worth a look if you're still in the market for anyone from this wave.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 11:40 AM »
AFI has posted their own Fan's Choice results for the DCUC line, and here's the list of 8 (more details on each at the linky):

Black Canary
Zatanna
Phantom Stranger
Swamp Thing
Black Adam
Poison Ivy
Deadshot
Catman

I'd have to say that I'd be interested in most of those figures listed.  There are others (Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Dick Grayson Robin, Wally West Flash, Joker, etc.) that I'd like to see as well, but I'm sure those are on the way eventually.  I really hope we see a Zatanna figure sooner than later in this line too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:44 AM by Brian »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 11:56 AM »
Wally West Flash

Based on some rumors I've read over the last month, I'm starting to think the reason they have held off on doing DCUC Wally so far is because they are going to end up doing his new 2009 costume and letting Barry have the classic red & yellow look (which I guess is only fair, since it was his first ;)).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Universe Classics
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2008, 12:02 PM »
Wally West Flash

Based on some rumors I've read over the last month, I'm starting to think the reason they have held off on doing DCUC Wally so far is because they are going to end up doing his new 2009 costume and letting Barry have the classic red & yellow look (which I guess is only fair, since it was his first ;)).

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing Jeff, good point.  I'm curious to see what Wally's new suit will look like, as it sounds like Ethan VanSciver is designing it.  Looking forward to seeing what's in store for the Flash in 2009.