Author Topic: Marvel Universe  (Read 283792 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #210 on: May 29, 2009, 02:55 PM »
Justin,
It isn't common in Canada, trust me.  No one over on the Canadian boards is talking about it at all.  Legends got some in and sold them at around $20 a piece, but the Nemesis wave hasn't hit general retail up here at all. 

I didn't mean to imply they were common in Canada - just that I've heard more about them hitting there than in the states.  I have not seen anything in the US outside of ridiculous Ebay prices.

I don't think Hasbro is intentionally trying to screw over collectors here.  Just seems like the focus moved away from 6" figures to the smaller size and this last wave likely suffered.  This was probably going to be a low production run anyway as a retailer exclusive.  Doesn't seem that far off from what we see in terms of poor distribution at the end of any wave, Star Wars or otherwise.  Still sucks that I can't find my Tigra though.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #211 on: May 29, 2009, 03:22 PM »
Sorry, I should clarify my comment on Hasbro screwing collectors: it was meant to refer to the expensive Nick Fury figure as a "mail away"/subscription bonus deal.  Ugh.  That's goofy.

I completely agree about the last wave of a dead line being hard to find.  I can't necessarily blame Hasbro on that one, it's a very common occurrence at the tail end of lines and certainly not exclusive to big H.  If it ever does hit common retail here before you guys see it, assuming any of us ever do, then I'll keep y'all in mind.  Sometimes we see goofy stuff clearanced at Wallyworld without warning, so you never know. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #212 on: May 29, 2009, 10:46 PM »
Found Union Jack, Red Hulk, and Blade at TRU today.

They are all awesome.

Something about these 3 makes me want to collect carded too, in addition to loose like I've been doing.

The only real gripe I have is that the hands really aren't sculpted to hold the weapons too well.  A little creativity goes a long way in fixing that though.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:46 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #213 on: June 1, 2009, 12:42 PM »
I don't suppose anyone has an extra MOC The End Hulk  that they'd be willing to part with? I've got almost the whole set but this one continues to elude me, and ebay seems pretty scare apart from loose figures as well.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #214 on: June 4, 2009, 10:23 AM »
It looks like the website is now up for the Nick Fury mailaway figure.  It looks like you have to fill out a form, pay $4.99 shipping/handling, and get either a 3 month ($24.99) or 1 year ($59.88) subscription to Marvel Digital Comics.  So, essentially, you can have the Marvel Universe Nick Fury figure for $30 :).

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #215 on: June 4, 2009, 11:47 AM »
It looks like the website is now up for the Nick Fury mailaway figure.  It looks like you have to fill out a form, pay $4.99 shipping/handling, and get either a 3 month ($24.99) or 1 year ($59.88) subscription to Marvel Digital Comics.  So, essentially, you can have the Marvel Universe Nick Fury figure for $30 :).

Pass.  What a rip off.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
Marvel Universe
« Reply #216 on: June 4, 2009, 12:47 PM »
This doesn't bother me personally because I was considering trying the digital comic site out anyway, but man...what a hose down.  I think this promotion is going to fail miserably.

John

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #217 on: June 4, 2009, 01:38 PM »
We can all share a great laugh when Fury is released on a Marvel Comics Legends card next June at the then lowered Wal-Mart price of $6.99.   :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #218 on: June 4, 2009, 05:34 PM »
We can all share a great laugh when Fury is released on a Marvel Comics Legends card next June at the then lowered Wal-Mart price of $6.99.   :P

Or shows up at HTS.com six months from now for $12.99.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #219 on: June 4, 2009, 10:38 PM »
I had considered signing up for the digital comics as well but I figure it isn't worth it, as I'll probably read them for a week and forget about it.

I also spotted the new wave of Universe figs at Wal-Mart today. Kind of disappointed that Blade is just a repaint of the Punisher but with a new head and cloak. Also there's a new Spider-Man variant out, it's the same figure as wave 1 but with a darker shade of red and blue. I ended up snagging the only two Hobgoblins they had (one of them is for Famine) and also picked up Thing and Johnny Storm.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2009, 07:30 PM »
I noticed at both Target and Wal-Mart today that the Wolverine figure pegs were pretty sparse.  I don't know if that is because they are selling well (they do still have a "feature" endcap at our Target), or if they aren't shipping much anymore.  Also, our local Wal-Mart (which is converting to the "new style" blue and yellow/etc. store) doesn't seem to have a spot for Marvel Universe stuff anymore.  It might be sort of transitionary yet (although the reduced toy aisles have been set up for awhile now), but there was no sign of anything from MU, DCUC, etc.  They still had Wolverine stuff, as well as Spidey and Transformers Crossovers, but that was about it.  Lots of space for Transformers right now (obviously), and Star Wars still has a decent sized section (although smaller) - but still filled with the same stuff they have had for months.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2009, 09:09 PM »
MarvelousNews has pics up of the SDCC exclusive Invaders set, which looks kind of nifty to me.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #222 on: June 18, 2009, 12:33 AM »
MarvelousNews has pics up of the SDCC exclusive Invaders set, which looks kind of nifty to me.

Wow, easy pass for me.  Is that Cap any different from the regular release?  I've got no interest in Skull, Torch, or Namor.  Pretty weak for an exclusive IMO, though honestly, I'm glad that the higher priced stuff like this and Fury are items I would have skipped at regular retail anyway.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Universe
« Reply #223 on: June 18, 2009, 01:13 AM »
What the hell is with them rereleasing over and over again an improper Cap?  This line had me excited but the execution is absolutely terrible

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #224 on: June 18, 2009, 07:06 AM »

Is that Cap any different from the regular release? 

There's 2 small differences that I immediately notice:

1.  The star on the chest is bigger than the regular release.

2.  There are wings on the helmet, the regular release does not have them.

Other than that it basically looks the same.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda