Author Topic: Marvel Universe  (Read 282326 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2009, 05:53 PM »
Hasbro has the poll up for the "pick 5" Marvel Universe figures.  I think there are 70 choices (for the 70th Anniversary).

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2009, 06:25 PM »
**** you, Hasbro.  I want a lot of those figures in Legends scale, not your new pet line.  Nope, not voting or buying any of them. 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2009, 06:47 PM »
I"m starting my campaign here for Silver Sable.

Vote Silver Sable for the future!  Vote Silver Sable because bounty hunters are cool.

Or because hot girls with big boobs are a comic staple and the toy lines need more of them?

E... 
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2009, 10:42 PM »
Hasbro has the poll up for the "pick 5" Marvel Universe figures.  I think there are 70 choices (for the 70th Anniversary).

Well that is annoying.  In the six inch scale (which they are not), I'd take:

Paper Bag Spidey
Gwen Stacy  >:(
Crystal
Snowbird
Mary Jane  >:(
Domino
Aurora
Northstar
Shaman
Polaris
Silver Sable
Brother Voodoo
Magik
Karnak
Hellfire Soldiers
Psylocke (and the rest of the X-men/X-Factor in those costumes)
Dormammu

More than a little miffed to see Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane both in there in comic book form.  That list actually shows there are a ton of figures/costumes they still could have done in the larger scale.  Though I suppose the kids don't buy that scale and it's our fault for the crapass sculpting too. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2009, 07:22 AM »
Only 17 Brent?  I counted which ones I wanted in 6" scale from that list and came up with 54.   :o  And most of the ones I didn't want, I already have figures of (Storm, Beast, Havok, etc.)

I guess it's all good, though.  I can just buy DC stuff with the money I'm saving from not buying Hasbro's ****.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Universe
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2009, 08:06 AM »
I am annoyed with Hasbro...I really want those characters but not buying into a new scale.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2009, 10:14 AM »
I'm with Brent - there are a lot of these that I'd like to see in the 6" scale.  I have a handful of them as customs - glad I did that now that 6" is going away.  I'm going to try to pick up some of these smaller scale figs if I can get them at a good price, but if they land at $8 or more, I'll be forced to hold off.   :(
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2009, 01:32 PM »
Only 17 Brent?  I counted which ones I wanted in 6" scale from that list and came up with 54.   :o  And most of the ones I didn't want, I already have figures of (Storm, Beast, Havok, etc.)

I guess it's all good, though.  I can just buy DC stuff with the money I'm saving from not buying Hasbro's ****.

Yeah, only 17.  You have to remember I haven't bought a comic in over 20 years, so I'm pretty far out of touch with any modern characters.  A lot of those names are like a lot of the DC stuff to me - I just don't know who they are.  If they were to do the X-characters I already have in those blue and yellow uniforms I'd buy those too.  Those were easily my favorite uniforms and I wouldn't care at all about having duplicates.  They probably could have sold me some of the characters I don't know if the figure looked nice too, I've done that in past as well. 

But the new scale is the answer for them, so whatever.  Those small figures are selling for $9.99 at Walmart here and $10.99 (before 12% tax) at TRU so I'm disinclined.  Having seen them, I don't find them to be awful, the principle is just the scale shift.  If I could buy these a year down the road for a buck or two a piece, I could (sadly) see myself buying them.  But I can see my room being full already, so the last thing I need to do is drop hundreds of dollars on figures I already own, just bigger.  But I could see myself justifying that money (actually closer to $15 per, as the 6" scale was up here) for those characters I indicated interest in IF they were in the original scale.  I probably should be thanking Hasbro instead of condemning them ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Universe
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2009, 02:37 PM »
I saw these for the first time today at the local Shopko.  I'm probably going to get The Avengers...only one small problem.  $12.99 a piece :o :o :o  I left them there.  Basic SW were also the same price which must be the new MSRP

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2009, 03:32 PM »
$12!?  In U.S. currency?  That is insane.  You can get two Star Wars figs and a comic for that price!  I'm a little surprised to see Shopko get them in before anyone else.  Who all did they have?
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Universe
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2009, 03:48 PM »
Well, I call $12.99...$13.  It is insane!

Not sure if they have split cases of the Marvel and Wolverine figs but they had:

Spider Man
Daredevil
Punisher
Blue Iron Man
Human Torch
Silver Surfer

Wolverine x2
Gambit
Some dude
Some dude
Weapon X

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2009, 05:41 PM »
$13?  Yikes.  That being said, Shopko (at least here) usually tends to be quite a bit higher than other retailers.  The basic SW figures are usually $10 or more there (unless there is a sale), which is why they're usually stocked full.  They've been known to get stuff early as well.  I remember finding the Legacy/CW figures a month or so before "street" date there as well (at inflated prices), and the same thing with the ROTS figures.  I figure this line will be about the same (or exactly the same) as SW runs once its really out at retail (March 1st, right?).

I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I'm likely going to be picking this line up - at least part of it.  I'm just a sucker for this scale I guess, and honestly, from what we've seen so far - the figures look pretty well done.  I can definitely see (and agree with) the complaints about the change in scale though.  The salt in the wound is seeing all these figures offered (or potentially offered) that we've never seen in the 6" line.  It just seems like an interesting line to me personally, and in the past (with Legends, the first MOTU, Muppets, etc.) they were lines I was interested in - and held off - only to regret it later.  I'm going to go ahead and sample them from the get go this time I think, and at least grab a handful.  Like others have mentioned before, it would have been nice if they started in this scale.  The 6" offers more for sculpt/detail, but - at least for someone like me - it is difficult to find room for all of them.  I know I'm running out of room for the ML and DCUC I have (in addition to SW, etc.)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2009, 05:50 PM »
I'm probably going to get a few as well - just not going to race out and pay over $10 for them if I see them.  I think they'll end up coming down in price to at least the $8 range or less eventually. 

As for the 6" line, I'm really happy with the bigger Legends figs I have.  From a space perspective, it's hard to manage two different sized lines, but I'm not "mad" at Hasbro like some people seem to be.  If anything I feel like I got a great deal on some cool, big Legends figs.  Especially seeing as how most of them were $10 or less for about 4x as much plastic.   ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2009, 11:40 PM »
I'm probably going to get a few as well - just not going to race out and pay over $10 for them if I see them.  I think they'll end up coming down in price to at least the $8 range or less eventually. 

As for the 6" line, I'm really happy with the bigger Legends figs I have.  From a space perspective, it's hard to manage two different sized lines, but I'm not "mad" at Hasbro like some people seem to be.  If anything I feel like I got a great deal on some cool, big Legends figs.  Especially seeing as how most of them were $10 or less for about 4x as much plastic.   ;)

Although I definitely understand the frustrations with Hasbro's handling of Marvel Legends, I can't say I'm necessarily "mad" either.  It just stinks that they immediately open up all of these options for MU figures that weren't ever there for Legends.  On the other side of things though, I can see why they are going this way.  The majority of the "big guns" have already been done - and done well - by Toy Biz, and although there are tons of other characters still to make from the Marvel world, there might not be a ton of big sellers left.  This allows Hasbro to do their own versions of all of these from scratch, and stick to a scale that is much more in their wheel house.  Plus, it seems like the majority of collectors have been unhappy with most of their Legends scale stuff anyways, so it might be ok for them to stick with what they know.  I'd still take more Legends stuff as well, but part of me feels like the Legends line really ended with Toy Biz for the most part.  They've gotten a little better, and some figures have been pretty good - but not like those earlier versions from TB.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2009, 08:22 PM »
Kind of a minor note with all the neat SW focus this weekend, but I noticed that the MU line has Secret Wars comic packs on the way.  Secret Wars was one of the first "big things" for me as a Marvel kid, so its kind of cool.  The one I saw on display was Spidey and Thunderball.