Author Topic: Marvel Universe  (Read 282355 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Marvel Universe
« Reply #120 on: March 8, 2009, 04:46 PM »
Part of it is not wanting to start another line, since I spend more than enough between Star Wars and MOTUC. I figure that if the price is a strong enough deterrent, then I probably shouldn't buy something.  :-\
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #121 on: March 8, 2009, 07:41 PM »

Plan on getting Wolverine, Daredevil, Spidey too.  Maybe a few others.

In case you didn't know, that Wolverine is from the X-Men Origins: Wolverine line ... not the Marvel Universe line.  I actually like the Wolverines from that line better than the one in the MU line.
I'd also recommend picking up the Hulk figure, if you have any interest in the character.  The figure is huge.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2009, 07:42 PM by Neal »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #122 on: March 9, 2009, 02:51 AM »
Yeah i saw the difference between the 2 lines, in my Wallys they are mixed in with the MU on the same pegs though.  Not too many figures in the X-Men Origins: Wolverine line measured up to the ones in the MU line IMO though. 

As for Hulk, I did find the green and grey ones, but i'm not a fan of the face sculpt!  I'm sure there will be another Hulkster down the line.

« Last Edit: March 9, 2009, 02:53 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2009, 11:20 AM »
I picked up most of the first couple wave of Marvel Universe (and some of the Wolverine comic figures as well), and I can't say I'm really disappointed with any of them so far.  The price ($8.44 at WM is the worst offender so far) is a bit of a sting (I didn't get any of them at WM though), but the figures are pretty well done.  I'm not going to say they top Legends or anything like that, but as we've often talked about before - it would have been sort of nice had they started in this scale.  Definitely a lot easier to make a big display without taking up a whole lot of space.

Something I found surprising - at least here locally - I haven't seen any of the actual "movie" figures from the Wolverine line.  I don't know if they aren't shipping initially, or they are just that popular, but at both our WM and TRU the movie Wolverine/Logan, Sabretooth, and Deadpool are nowhere to be found - but I saw all of the comic figures (including Gambit and Deadpool).  Anyways, just sort of surprising to me.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2009, 12:14 PM »
Something I found surprising - at least here locally - I haven't seen any of the actual "movie" figures from the Wolverine line.  I don't know if they aren't shipping initially, or they are just that popular, but at both our WM and TRU the movie Wolverine/Logan, Sabretooth, and Deadpool are nowhere to be found - but I saw all of the comic figures (including Gambit and Deadpool).  Anyways, just sort of surprising to me.

That actually makes sense to me.  This way they get people hyped up for the movie without giving away the secrets of the movie-specific figures until closer to the film.  I haven't seen any of the 4" marvel lines around here yet.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2009, 12:18 PM »
Yeah, I could see that side of it as well.  I just wasn't sure if it was that the movie stuff wasn't shipping quite yet, or if they had just sold through already.  I'm starting to think they just haven't shipped quite yet, and they are priming the market by starting with the comic figures.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2009, 01:19 AM »
I finally found the new Marvel figures at Target last night.  $7.99.  I must have been one of the first to see them because they didn't look like they'd really been touched.

Had both Iron Man and stealth armor, Wolverine in a black/grey outfit, DD, Spider-Man, Punisher and one other at least.  The Punisher figure looks terrible.  The rest were pretty nice, though.  I didn't end up buying any but the IM figure was tempting.  Just kind of glad that I've at least seen them now.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Stopped at a local Wal-mart this morning and they had the new Wolverine series at $10.44 a figures. :o :o :o

I am not paying that for Star Wars sized figures. The only chance they have of getting this Wolverine fan to buy these figures is Clearance at this point.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2009, 02:26 PM »
Stopped at a local Wal-mart this morning and they had the new Wolverine series at $10.44 a figures. :o :o :o

This must have been some kind of error.  They are $8.44 at mine.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2009, 06:37 PM »

This must have been some kind of error.  They are $8.44 at mine.

Yeah, that's the price here as well (which is still a bit high).  Like I mentioned earlier, i remember paying $6.88 for Legends figures a few years ago at both WM and Target.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2009, 07:26 PM »
Found the Wolverine figures today at WM, $8.44 which is really pretty ridiculous.  I broke down and bought Gambit, though.  They had Deadpool and if it wouldn't have wiped out a $20 bill, I would have picked him up as well.  Maybe down the road.

And I know it's the Wolverine movie, but there are 5 Wolverine figures in the wave.  At least they didn't make it a sweep of just him.

Gambit is pretty nice but the lack of ankles and, to a lesser extent, wrists, makes the price a little less agreeable.  The hip joints are kind of funky also and with no knee or other lower leg rotation, it makes him really hard to stand up.  He's kind of knock-kneed and doesn't really stand well.  I'll probably have to find him a figure stand eventually.

Not bad.  Not great.  Not the best deal for $9+ (with tax) each.  Still might snag a couple other figures from the straight Marvel line but other than the Deadpool figure, I don't know if I'll get any more from the Wolverine line.

Edit - Forgot to add that the paint apps on Gambit are really pretty well done.  I know it's a movie figure, but he looks like the classic comic Gambit that I like.  Some of the Wolverine figures were sketchy, but Deadpool also looked pretty good and the yellow/blue Wolverine wasn't bad either.

E...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:29 PM by efranks »
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
Marvel Universe
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2009, 11:19 PM »
I've been going back and forth on these but have yet to buy one.  Over the last two days I've seen pretty much every figure in the line to this point except Bullseye, and while Cap, Hulk and Iron Man have all been reeeeealy tempting I just can't seem to get myself to take the plunge.  I guess I worry about seeing the line end up in endless repaints, reissues and multipacks that I'd only buy for one new figure, the way it's been with G.I.Joe and Star Wars.  And the $8-9 price tag isn't too sexy either.

John

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2009, 10:39 AM »
Found a Deadpool over the weekend. I picked it up for $8.44. There is definitely potential for the line, but 22 POA on it, I can't say it totally sucks. Plus some of the spare weapons I have from other toys that I have customize fit well with it and give him a larger arsenal.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2009, 03:30 PM »
I saw a Marvel Universe boxed set with Logan/Motorcyle and Sabertooth at Toys R Us over the weekend.  The sabertooth looks very cool and is a lot better than the single pack version.  This was a TRU exclusive and $19.99.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2009, 12:36 AM »
I heard that Sabretooth will be packaged with the Blob figure, is that right?

The Wolverine is getting a solo package along with the bike.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m