Author Topic: Marvel Universe  (Read 284602 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel Universe
« Reply #825 on: November 29, 2010, 12:39 PM »
Not a bad deal on MU figures, since the other stores seem to have them at $8-$9 locally (WM in particular has been steady at like $8.97 or something).  Our TRU has a good supply of MU figures, but nothing very new.  Still haven't really seen the Ghost Rider/Mystique/etc. wave, although I've sort of been picking and choosing with this line as of late.  It looks like Brent had a great idea and got caught up pretty well through comic packs.  I'm still on the fence about the new Galactus.  I have the ML version, but this new one is pretty spiffy.  It seems like TRU is the only place carrying it around here (and everywhere maybe?), and I've been seeing a few sell.  Too bad Target/WM isn't having it, as it seems like something you could maybe snag on clearance.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 29, 2010, 01:41 PM »
I'm keeping some of my BAFs from the ML line instead of trying to snag a lot of the newer MU stuff that's similar.  I understand the new Galactus is better but then I have to unload my Galactus and pay more for a newer one.  Pass.  Right now this line to me is about half want, half economics.  If I can do things cost effectively, I'm in.  I should have sold off about 90% of my ML stuff by week's end, so space has been made.  I'm also mostly not buying characters I don't actually want, unlike with ML though that was often to complete BAFs.  But Luke Cage for example was never a huge character in my comic reading, so not really needed in my collection. 

Funny you mention Mystique.  I saw her once and left her behind, hoping for a sale on the 9.99 price up here at Walmart.  Then that wave never showed again that I have seen, rather it went to the Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Archangel, etc. wave being restocked nearly continuously.  Even with that though no variants on these figures for me.  I'd take either the Death Archangel or Havok variant instead, but would return the other versions as I'm not really interested in multiples anymore. 

Too bad D.C.'s smaller scale figures suck.  Wouldn't mind saving some space with those too.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 29, 2010, 02:01 PM »
I'm keeping some of my BAFs from the ML line instead of trying to snag a lot of the newer MU stuff that's similar.  I understand the new Galactus is better but then I have to unload my Galactus and pay more for a newer one.  Pass.  Right now this line to me is about half want, half economics.  If I can do things cost effectively, I'm in.  I should have sold off about 90% of my ML stuff by week's end, so space has been made.  I'm also mostly not buying characters I don't actually want, unlike with ML though that was often to complete BAFs.  But Luke Cage for example was never a huge character in my comic reading, so not really needed in my collection.

I guess this technically isn't the "Legends" thread, but just out of curiosity, I was wondering what you ended up keeping from that line Brent.  With 90% sold off, that leaves just a smaller display, and I was just wondering who "made the cut".

I can see your point about the smaller scale/display area.  I wish DC's smaller line was better as well, as it would make things much easier.  That said, I have displays right now for Legends (2 shelves), DCUC (2 shelves) and Marvel Universe (1 shelf), which I guess seems a little ridiculous.  Plus, I have another rubbermaid bin full of others I don't have room for.  That includes the ML Build a Figures, which I hope to re-arrange and find room for (Galactus and Sentinel at least).  I've also been trying to be a lot pickier this time around like you mentioned, and not just completing waves to get a build a figure or buying a character on a whim that I don't necessarily need.  It definitely is more space-friendly though, and with your Legends sales, I'm guessing it is a lot more cost effective too since the Universe stuff is probably paid for from that pretty easily.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 29, 2010, 02:21 PM »
I've seen some of the most recent MU waves over the last week, but the female characters have sold out almost imediatly as I haven't seen them.  The only recent female fig I've seen at all is Kitty Pryde.  I haven't picked any of these up yet but I do look at them and it's probably just going to take that one favorite character to pull me in.

I do think they're good looking figures for the most part, though, and can unerstand why they are so popular.  The price is a little sketchy, though, and distribution has been terrible around here making it a hard line to piece together.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 1, 2010, 02:13 PM »
I was just looking over the MU checklists over at CTR, and noticed a lot of figures listed for next year that I hadn't heard/seen before.  Granted, these might be taken from rumors, but if these lineups hold up, it doesn't look too bad at all.  After 2011's Wave 1 (HA Iron Man, Spidey 2099, Spider-Woman, etc.), it looks like this:

Apocalypse
Cable
Cyclops (Jim Lee)
Gladiator
1st Appearance Wolverine

X-23
Ultron
Darkhawk
Falcon
Dr. Strange

Steve Rogers
Namor
Scarlet Spider
Dr. Doom
Skaar

Invisible Woman
Ms. Marvel (Moonstone)
Starlord

Comic Packs
Deadpool/Taskmaster
Power Man/Iron Fist
Spider-Man/Captain Britain
Wolverine/Silver Samurai

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 1, 2010, 03:17 PM »
Wow.  Pretty low distribution of Avengers.  No Wasp, Yellowjacket, Wonderman, Mockingbird, Ant-Man, Black Knight, Young Avengers?  There is really nothing on that list that I'm remotely excited about.  I might pick up a Falcon, but can't see getting any of the others. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 1, 2010, 03:25 PM »
Wow.  Pretty low distribution of Avengers.  No Wasp, Yellowjacket, Wonderman, Mockingbird, Ant-Man, Black Knight, Young Avengers?  There is really nothing on that list that I'm remotely excited about.  I might pick up a Falcon, but can't see getting any of the others. 

My guess is that Avengers appeals to an older audience and Hasbro is aware of that.  So this line suffers from the same slight that star wars does - classic stuff takes a backseat to what's cool with the kids. 

I thought the Apocalypse wave was already out? 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #832 on: December 1, 2010, 03:47 PM »
Wow.  Pretty low distribution of Avengers. 

My guess is that Avengers appeals to an older audience and Hasbro is aware of that. 

My guess is that there is an Avengers movie planned for 2012 and they are holding off on a lot of them until then...  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 1, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Well there could be that too.  But I'd expect them to do a decent job of clinging to movie themed figures rather than classic look stuff, so that might alienate the old fogies too.  I swear, movie figures are 90% death for a toy line. 

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 2, 2010, 11:32 AM »
Wow.  Pretty low distribution of Avengers.  No Wasp, Yellowjacket, Wonderman, Mockingbird, Ant-Man, Black Knight, Young Avengers?  There is really nothing on that list that I'm remotely excited about.  I might pick up a Falcon, but can't see getting any of the others.  

My guess is that Avengers appeals to an older audience and Hasbro is aware of that.  So this line suffers from the same slight that star wars does - classic stuff takes a backseat to what's cool with the kids.  

I thought the Apocalypse wave was already out?  

Agree with Jeff on the Avengers comment.  I hope Hasbro "takes up spots" in the comic line for the movie rather than the MU line.  Too many spots were/have been taken up by Iron Man while he has on own line on the shelf.

As for Apocalypse - unless I have missed it he has not hit yet.  His wave, as Brian has posted above, is after the Hulk wave, which is hitting now from posts I have read.  All the other things Brian has listed so far is just from rumors, though the comic pack listings were allgedly pulled from the computers at Walmart.

edit:  in other news I grabbed Yellow Jacket and Constrictor Monday at Target.  I am pretty much a loose, at least one of each character of this line, and I am all caught up now til I find the new Hulk wave
« Last Edit: December 2, 2010, 11:37 AM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 2, 2010, 04:39 PM »
One store locally got hammered with the Colossus wave yet again.  No grief finding anything but variants in those and now it's starting to get to the point where Havok, Kitty Pryde and Colossus are all sitting, never mind the AIM soldier and lesser desired figs.  Yikes.  

I think I saw Apocalypse on ebay, carded, so assumed he was out.  I can wait and it's frankly good news if he's not currently given the backlog we now have.  I'll be in the States next weekend so hopefully I can stumble across some of that Yellow Jacket/Constrictor, etc. wave.  

D'oh!  I just looked at the list Brian linked and I'm confusing Thanos with Apocalypse, so that explains that.  And that wave appeared once here though I only saw Mystique and Multiple Man, but didn't buy either because I hadn't jumped on board yet.  That's a pretty nice wave.  I'm still missing the dang Skrull Soldier too. 
« Last Edit: December 2, 2010, 04:43 PM by Morgbug »

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 2, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Grabbed the new Hulk, Spider Man 2099, and Iron Man in his new armor today at WM in Mishawaka, In. They price matched TRU's ad of 2 for $9.99 because the ad also states $4.99 each. Someone beat me to the other 3 new figures from the line - but evidence would suggest that they put out 2 cases of this wave (I saw 4 spiderman and 4 iron man). The Iron Man has some pretty sloppy paint apps cuz he is such a busy looking figure - I grabbed the best I saw. Also, a lot of the spiderman figures had alop sidded eyes, again, I grabbed the best I saw.

The New Hulk is killer, had to open him up right away.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 3, 2010, 02:15 PM »
Picked up World War Hulk, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man 2099 and Iron Man today at Target.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: December 3, 2010, 03:47 PM »
Picked up World War Hulk, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man 2099 and Iron Man today at Target.

I hate you.  I don't want to.  I just do.

Still haven't seen Yellow Jacket/Thanos wave.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: December 4, 2010, 10:24 AM »

I hate you.  I don't want to.  I just do.

Still haven't seen Yellow Jacket/Thanos wave.

That makes me a sad panda.   :(

This may make you hate me more ... a buddy grabbed a Spider-Woman and Doc Samson for me this morning at Wal-Mart, which completes the wave for me.  He got them to price-match the TRU "2 for $9.99" ad, so I got them for $5 each.