Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 415622 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2430 on: February 7, 2007, 03:55 PM »
I think it's been confirmed that the Brood / Skrull pack will be in scale with Legends and won't be of the same scale as previous Select pieces.

I'm not really surprised.  I'd bet that the villains wave made it closer to reality than we've been told.  Perhaps even a few of the molds were made for the toys, say Brood and Skrull?  That would help explain why the scale would be a good match. 

Perhaps we'll see all of the original ML Villains (or was it bad guys? henchmen?) sold as two packs in the Marvel Select line.  I'd be ok with that.  The Select line usually sells up here for about 19.99 or so and two henchmen/army builders isn't a bad price to me.  At least relative to our usual $12.95-14.95 for Marvel Legends figures.  I was really looking forward to seeing the henchmen packed in and this ends up being a cheaper way in the long run to get them, without having excess, extra full ML figures lying around.  Cheaper too really. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2431 on: February 7, 2007, 04:01 PM »
By the way, I read over at TNI today that the silver finish Wolverine we saw earlier this week will be an exclusive to TRU this year, expected around March or so.  The figure celebrates the anniversary of Issue #1 from the first Wolverine limited series (Sept-Dec 1982).

The same poster who posted that Queen Brood pic has posted again on Page 8 of the thread with a few more details (and small pic of Black Knight) - again, rumor at this point, depending on whether this guy is for real or not: (UPDATE: the thread seems to have been removed now, surprise surprise - so perhaps he was for real)

Queen Brood is the BAF for Series 3
The BAF for HML4 is X-related also and a 90's character (prepare for possible disappointment).
FA Storm is in HML4...oh and so is Black Bolt.
Alright that's enough spoilers for now, but be prepared for tons of surprises come Toy Fair and maybe a few more inbetween.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2007, 04:12 PM by Brian »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2432 on: February 7, 2007, 05:54 PM »
Anyone save the pic? Its gone already.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2433 on: February 7, 2007, 07:14 PM »
Sorry, not that bright.  It looked kinda like an Alien figure :P

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2434 on: February 7, 2007, 09:05 PM »
I picked up the new(?) Spider-Man Origins Iron Spider-Man.

Neat little toy, but it seems lacking something.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2435 on: February 8, 2007, 10:00 AM »
Hasbro has put up some pics of Legends Series 2 (as well as Series 1), on their new Marvel site.  It looks like they are production photos, so maybe this is a better idea of what things will look like.  Also, it has the breakdown of the Blob BAF pieces.  For some reason, Quicksilver and Zorn don't show up on this page, but they do have links HERE and HERE.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2436 on: February 8, 2007, 10:34 AM »
Would it be wrong to have a Blob without a head?  Decap blob?  Nah, never mind. 

Thanks for the pics Brian.  General comments: don't need another Thor; don't want another wolverine; don't want a movie juggernaut; will give Jean Grey to my daughter; yellowjacket looks off; She-Hulk looks good, a big improvement on the Select version ;D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2437 on: February 8, 2007, 10:47 AM »
I wouldn't mind having the Blob BAF, but I just don't think I can spend the money on those figures I don't want (Phoenix, Juggernaut, Thor, Xorn, Wolverine).  I hope to pick up She Hulk, Quicksilver, and Yellowjacket from this wave, and that knocks three off the list of figures I really wanted to see made.  I think it will be like this from here on out with the HML waves, just picking and choosing a figure or two here and there - unless there is an amazing BAF or something.

On a side note, I also noted that poster hongkonglad over at the Fwoosh (who often posts pics of stuff hitting there or on auction) had some carded pics of some of those earlier "Spider-Man Classics" figures (new Kraven, Lizard, Rhino, etc.) that are supposed to be on the way.  It looks like they are included in the movie line (a Scorpion is also pictured), and I'm kind of thinking these are kind of based on the video game-ish designs (similar to the current Superman Returns/Man of Steel line that is on the pegs).  The scale isn't confirmed, and I'm sure we'll find out this weekend, but I'm kind of thinking that we'll have the movie lines (Spidey/F4) that will be more expanded (with characters that aren't necessarily in the movies yet - but inspired by video game designs) that will be in the 5" scale.  Then we'll have these rumored BAF waves that are more collector friendly and in the normal 6" scale (and maybe mostly/all comic based designs).  Just a guess at this point, but I could see things going that way.  I guess that wouldn't be so bad though.  It seems like the majority of collectors don't care for the movie stuff anyways, and having a BAF wave to correspond with each movie (but in a mostly comic style) might be a good way to satisfy both audiences (kiddos and collectors).  As long as we can still get 6" comic scaled Spidey villains like Chameleon and Tombstone in the Legends line, I don't mind.  It might be a way for them to extend the life of Legends that way as well, integrating stuff that would have been in "classics" before.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2007, 10:50 AM by Brian »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2438 on: February 8, 2007, 11:08 AM »
Just to be contrarian (a shock, I know) I think it's good marketing to put the movie figures in the regular lineups.  I don't like it at all, but I do think it's smart.

I often complain about movie lines taking up space (FF, Superman, Hulk, etc) and not selling well and I think manufacturers understand this.  Even with probably really good overall sales, I'm guessing Hasbro, Mattel and other companies still get heat from Walmart and others when they're clearing out 300 units per store at 25-50% of normal retail price.  They're probably not losing money, but they might not be making it either.  So when you get a franchise that has potential for figures (X3) but it's going up against a big marketing push (Superman) then mixing in the figures might be the only way to get the movie toys out there. 

From my perspective, I don't want to see them there and I certainly don't want to get them for a BAF but maybe it's better than having them out there in a big push clogging the pegs?  I think the movie figures will dwindle over time this way at least, versus all the Thing Feet I'm still seeing out there :-\

The exception to the rule is Spiderman movie toys.  I've never seen them cleared out (except the big roto-cast stuff) and they just sell and sell and sell.  They might be pushing too hard now with all the re-released villains in shiny, new and pretty color schemes, but time will tell.  I can't imagine it will be too long before we start seeing S3 toys in stores.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2439 on: February 9, 2007, 02:46 PM »
Exhibit #443 - yet another example of Hasbro's desire to milk the Marvel license every way they can...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2440 on: February 9, 2007, 10:24 PM »
s-DOG?

::)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2441 on: February 12, 2007, 10:03 AM »
Doesn't seem to be much new shown (at least so far) on the Marvel Legends side of things at Toy Fair.  I've read rumors that they are "saving" that for the New York Comic Con, but who knows if that is true.  Lots of pics of the Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer movie lines, which indeed look to be 5" scale.  I guess I don't necessarily mind that scale of figures, especially if they would have started from the beginning like that, but it is frustrating having the switch in the middle.  At least they didn't change the scale on the Legends figures, the forums would explode if that happened :P.  Overall though, probably not too much to get excited about from the Marvel side of things at Toy Fair - at least from what has been seen so far.  I was kind of hoping for pics of the rumored F4 and Spidey Build-A-Something series.  I won't lie though, I know I'll probably be picking up some of the movie stuff, Spidey at least.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2442 on: February 12, 2007, 10:38 AM »
I have no inherent dislike of the 5" scale for figures either.  I'm just not willing to switch and start all over again.  I'd tolerate a price hike more readily than a scale change if that were the issue.  Either way, it's ok.  Once I have my She-Hulk figure, anything else that comes along will be gravy.  Most of what I really want to see personally is pretty collector oriented and not likely to make it to mass market. Background characters that aren't heroes dominate my wants list and those just won't be coming. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2443 on: February 12, 2007, 10:51 AM »
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you Brent.  Its not the scale exactly that bothers me, just that we already have pretty large collection of the 6" scale, so its like starting from scratch.  I guess its ok for the movie lines though.  The next wave of Hasbro Legends takes care of a lot of my (realistic) wants for the line with She-Hulk, Quicksilver, and to a lesser extent, Yellowjacket.  I'd like that boxset of Spidey background/non-hero characters, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.  Beyond that, I'm really going to have to consider what I want to buy from here on out, since Star Wars alone will be taking enough of my money this year.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« Reply #2444 on: February 12, 2007, 11:42 AM »
I guess its ok for the movie lines though. 

>:(

No, it's not.  Angry is not for you, I'm just disappointed with the scale shift.  My wife won't be.  My wallet won't be.  But I am.  I didn't have any plans to stop buying these but they've made the decision for me.  I suppose that's an indication I was ready to stop buying them anyway. 

Like you I was buying at least one Spidey and the villain from the movies, but if the scale is different, that will stop too.  I know with respect to the movie figures my dollars are entirely meaningless, I'm just surprised by the switch.